ST3 -need more feedback

Colleen

I iniitally posted end of Feb, "upgraded" from ST1 to ST3 based on positive reviews I had read.
Initially overall sluggish ride.
I had difficulty with app connectivity to change settings, that was solved , gave up on bluetooth connectivity.

Rode on small trips, thought I needed to get used to bike.
Wasn't able to ride for a few weeks.

Finally able to attempt ST3 on longer trips.
Attempted a couple days ago a 50 mile RT ride, flat surfaces.
(On my ST1 I would frequently ride this same trip, on eco,in most difficult gear, riding hard, and loved it).
ST3, 7 miles into trip, power level 1, bike felt heavy, lots of resistance.
Gave up, turned around, rode home in level 2, still felt difficult to ride on flat surface.
Attempted another shorter trip, 10 miles RT, some small hills, power levels 1-2, same thing, I was actually beat when I got home.

Took my ST1 on same 10 mile trip, remained in eco, most difficult gear for entire trip.
Easy ride, pure fun!

I have no difficulty in taking any hill on ST3 in level 3, but seem to feel like I am towing something on flat or small hills, level 1.
Is power level 1 on ST3 supposed to be this challenging? I can feel the power, but I also feel resistance.

Also, on my ST1, when I begin my ride, I let go of handbrake, and feel the surge.
On ST3, I feel zero power until I start pedaling a few rotations, is that normal?
On ST1 I can take off normally from a stopped position, like stop sign, and immediately have power. Feels fluid.
ST3- I always need to stand up at every stop to push down hard on pedal to feel any power.

ST3 -torque in highest setting, my bike shop says "maybe I don't know how to shift correctly" when I explain issues.
I understand how to use gears and power levels really well, owned my ST1 since 2014.
(My husband also has an ST1 and had difficulty keeping up with me).

ST3 feels most of the time that I am pedaling a motorcycle, except for steep hills, where I can zip up in level 3.

Someone on this forum had suggested manually adjusting torque sensor, when I initially explained sluggishness.
I have not done this, I have contacted Stromer USA, and waiting on response.

Maybe this bike is just not for me?
Anyone have experience with both bikes, ST1 and 3 - for comparison?
Hoping there is a solution, too big of an investment to not care for this new bike.
Thanks!

Someone on this forum had suggested manually adjusting torque sensor, when I initially explained sluggishness.
I have not done this, I have contacted Stromer USA, and waiting on response.

Colleen, can you up the "Torque sensor" setting in the sensor sub menu on OMNI.

It is not the same as the torque adjustment in the custom mode. On the app it is the pedal sensor setting.

I observed similar sluggishness and when I max out the pedal sensor sensitivity it completely changed it...

On ST3, I feel zero power until I start pedaling a few rotations, is that normal?

No it is not normal and this is also a result of pedal sensor sensitivity. Max it out, it should be instant afterwards.

Go to Sensor menu on OMNI.
1. Crank the sensitivity to max
2. Recalibrate the sensor.

Try it on a hill afterwards. There has to be a drastic improvement.

Last edited:
Colleen, can you up the "Torque sensor" setting in the sensor sub menu on OMNI.

It is not the same as the torque adjustment in the custom mode. On the app it is the pedal sensor setting.

I observed similar sluggishness and when I max out the pedal sensor sensitivity it completely changed it...

No it is not normal and this is also a result of pedal sensor sensitivity. Max it out, it should be instant afterwards.

Go to Sensor menu on OMNI.
1. Crank the sensitivity to max
2. Recalibrate the sensor.

Try it on a hill afterwards. There has to be a drastic improvement.
Thanks
I tried that.
I seem to only lose assist on longer rides, in a really short ride, 5-6 miles, all seems normal, after that , I feel like I am riding an exercise bike on high resistance.

Update: I contacted dealer again.
He said he was able to see 2 error warnings on his end, first one from Feb, I don’t see any errors on my app.
Apparently bike is faulty, parts have been ordered for my brand new bike.

Update: I contacted dealer again.
He said he was able to see 2 error warnings on his end, first one from Feb, I don’t see any errors on my app.
Apparently bike is faulty, parts have been ordered for my brand new bike.

If I understand this right, for the shorter rides you are no longer slower than st1 and the bike is riding as it should.
From my experience, I can say that even when climbing for 10+ miles constantly at %6-20 grades I have never encountered loss of assistance. Moreover from what you have written, you also like to stay in mode 1 most of the time and put in the effort for a good exercise which is how I ride the bike most of the time. Although not 50 miles, I am riding on average 20miles every day, particularly taking the bike to climbs up to %20 since this ride is just for exercise.

So yes something is definitely wrong with your bike. It is good that your Lbs finally recognized the errors, however it is not nice that he is just aware of an error from February! Hopefully from this point on you will not have any problems.

Back