ST1 owners - What flat tire kit do you carry with you?

Operator7

As I'm growing ever closer to my purchase, it seems I'm going with a purchase of the ST1. Unfortunately, the ST1 does not have a quick release for the rear wheel, so my first question is what do you guys/gals do if you ever get a flat on the rear tire? Very noob question here, but are you able to pump the tire up and will it hold air long enough to get you to your destination? Is there any kind of "stop flat" hole patching device you all use, to get you home? Or do you end up walking your bike for miles, to get home in that dreaded event of a flat on the rear?

Second question for the front tire - what do you carry for this? I'm guessing a mini bike pump and an inner tube? Anything else? What model inner tube and bike pump do you carry?

thanks in advance

A heavy duty tube and a liner will greatly eliminate the risk of flats.
I have 1200+ miles on my ST2, the first few hundred miles, lot of flats but then I changed to a heavy duty tube and fitted the liner properly. No issues for the last 600 odd miles and I ride pretty hard.

Yea, I rode >1000 miles on my ST1, and then got 1 flat, rear tire, big pain in the ass. The flat caused some other damage and with a different rear wheel, I got a 2nd flat. I have an REI tube in there now, but will eventually switch it over to a Schwalble tube, unless you can recommend another "heavy duty tube". On my 2nd flat, the puncture was on the inside of the tube. I searched for any imperfections/sharp edges/spokes poking thru, but could not find anything. The liner seemed to be aligned and in good shape.

Yea, I rode >1000 miles on my ST1, and then got 1 flat, rear tire, big pain in the ass. The flat caused some other damage and with a different rear wheel, I got a 2nd flat. I have an REI tube in there now, but will eventually switch it over to a Schwalble tube, unless you can recommend another "heavy duty tube". On my 2nd flat, the puncture was on the inside of the tube. I searched for any imperfections/sharp edges/spokes poking thru, but could not find anything. The liner seemed to be aligned and in good shape.

I have this XLC tube. I have tried Schwalbe Tubes and they are good & have it on my other bike but this one is just badass. I have never seen such a ginormous tube and I can feel that it will hold air for longer and resist flats.
I have not written an Amazon review because I'm waiting to see how it will hold up for 2K+ miles.
31ngTZkKQgL.jpg

So Ravi, if you get a flat on the rear tire, do you attempt to change the tube as well? Just wondering how difficult a prospect this is.

So Ravi, if you get a flat on the rear tire, do you attempt to change the tube as well? Just wondering how difficult a prospect this is.

It's very easy to change flats on ST2 unlike ST1.
After changing to a heavy duty tube and a liner, I don't carry anything. If something were to penetrates these defensive layers, it would do so on any tire.
If you plan on getting ST1, I would suggest a heavy duty tube and a liner as well because it's difficult to change tubes on ST1.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm leaning towards ST1 because of budget concerns, but the fact that the rear wheel is difficult, seems a significant obstacle. Can you (or anyone) elaborate on how difficult it will be for me to change tube on front and back? If I'm not able to handle changing the tube on the back, would I just be stuck, if ever getting a flat on the rear tire? That's kinda my biggest concern.

My answer w/my ST1, leave rack on truck at all times, know where keys are, if have a problem tell wife friend or who ever i had notified where keys are and to come get me. I dont go out unless i know I have some who will be available be for emergencies. There are a couple threads on roadside assistance/insurance for ebikes also

Last edited:
Thanks. And yeah, I'm leaning towards ST1 because of budget concerns, but the fact that the rear wheel is difficult, seems a significant obstacle. Can you (or anyone) elaborate on how difficult it will be for me to change tube on front and back? If I'm not able to handle changing the tube on the back, would I just be stuck, if ever getting a flat on the rear tire? That's kinda my biggest concern.

Couple of flats in 2K or 3 K miles is unavoidable. on ANY ebike.
Changing tube on the rear tire of St1 needs fair bit of work, use the wrench to loosen the nut, cut the zip ties, keep the spacers in place.. it's not something you do often.
Front tube is easy peasy on both ST1 and ST2, but if you install the liner+ tough tube, you should be good for couple thousand miles.
IMHO, you shouldn't be magnifying this problem to an extent that is going to alter your decision of the bike itself. Remember, Stromer already comes with Schwalbe Marathon-grade tires.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire or stock tough tube+ liner = you should be good.

You can do it. It is manageable, but you should take your time and take the rear wheel off at home so you are familiar with things and not frustrated post flat tire. The big difference for patching/changing the rear wheel are; requires a wrench (no big deal), HEAVY rear tire (if you can lift the 60 lb stromer, you can deal with the ~10lbs rear wheel) and the 3 wires that connect the hub motor to the bike.

Put bike into the outermost gear
Turn bike upside down
Protect the control display when turning the bike over
Use wrench to loosen rear wheel (make note of washers and spacers)
Cut cable 2 cable ties holding the wires to the frame
Disconnect 3 connectors
Pull tire out
replace or patch tube (I did not need tire levers)
Reinstall

Probably a good idea to remove battery so you dont loose a finger if the power is on and the hub is LIVE
Dont pull on the brake when wheel is out.

YOU CAN DO IT!

If you buy an ST1 stromer, you may want to ask your dealer to show you how to change the rear tire. They should do that for you and it will you will have confidence. BTW, the ST1 is a really nice bike.

I've ordered one of these, although it hasn't been delivered yet:

GAADI Schrader Valve Tube

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB0QZPI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The tube can be replaced without removing the wheel. Only tire levers, some kind of small blade to cut the old tube, and an inflation method such as the little canisters of air are needed. (Make sure you feel carefully inside the tire to find the source of the flat, if you can.) People who have tried them say they actually work well, although they are expensive for a tube. With the price of these tubes, I will probably try to patch them instead of just throwing them away when I get home.

The flat in the side of the tube mentioned above may be a "snakebite" flat. In this case, it doesn't have much to do with tube quality. I've gotten them myself in the past. See:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

Back