ST1 Elite above 20 mph ?

AlexP

I am considering the Elite over the Platinum mainly due to the warning sticker :

This is an Off-Road Vehicle, not to be operated
on public streets, roads, or highways. Riding
on public streets, roads or highways can or may
result in legal fines, injury and/or death. !

Yes, it can be removed, but if you hit someone ( or even if Someone Hits You )
and their attorney does some research and finds that it was a Platinum on
a public road that was involved, trying to convince the judge that the sticker
was 'not there on your bike when you bought it' or that it 'does not really apply',
may be of little consequence in a lawsuit....

So Therefore, I am probably going to purchase the Elite.

And thus the query : What happens above 20 mph ? Does the motor turn off ?
Does it still assist ?
How much effort is needed to ride say 25 mph - something sustainable on level ground,
or very difficult ?

Thanks,
Alex
Orlando

That is strange ! I believe both actually meet the Federal definition of 'Bicycle' as the ST1's
cannot be 'powered' above 12 mph ( Boost ) or so 'solely' by motor... and the Fla
Law duplicates this definition.. it was just the fact that the 'Sticker' said otherwise which
concerned me.

Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) definition of a “bicycle” to include
“low speed electric bicycles” which is defined as a “two- or three-wheeled vehicle with
fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose
maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while
ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.”

Yes, I agree that the sticker seems to contradict actual law. I don't ever ride my Elite solely under its own power, but rather always in pedal assist mode.

Back