ST 2 Bike Trailer??

Quick update on the trailer project.

I took my ST2 and Radical Design trailer out for an initial testing last Sunday. Both performed flawlessly.

25 miles riding exclusively in assist level 1 consumed just 30% of the battery capacity. Conditions were ideal with only a slight headwind at times otherwise flat Alameda riding on bike paths and urban riding, yet I still managed an average of 12.6 miles per hour. Perfect weather, a fun tap room with cold-press Java infused stout and swell views made the test really enjoyable. I carried about 20lbs in the trailer and far more around my waist.

So far so good. Next test will be this weekend at around 30 miles with some hillier terrain.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Broke down and got a Travoy trailer off of Amazon and I could not be happier. In fact, I had to change out the Propane bottle on my grill, so I decided to take the bike and I was really impressed with how little, I noticed the 40lb bottle behind me. I wish I had picked up one of these sooner.

My only gripe is that the bag that comes with the unit rubs against the tire from time to time. This is sure to rub a hole in it, quickly.

Last edited:
Broke down and got a Travoy trailer off of Amazon and I could not be happier. In fact, I had to change out the Propane bottle on my grill, so I decided to take the bike and I was really impressed with how little, I noticed the 40lb bottle behind me. I wish I had picked up one of these sooner.

My only gripe is that the bag that comes with the unit rubs against the tire from time to time. This is sure to rub a hole in it, quickly.
It will rub a hole quickly...mine has. I solved the rub by wrapping a bungy around the bottom part of the bag. I agree the Travoy is the most versital trailer I have tried.

Really handy for St2. Also the plastic snaps that snap the bags to the frame are flimzy. Should be marine grade ( metal ). Since they're sown on, I have replaced one that snapped with a stainless steel barrel ( oval ) shaped that has a threaded lock that spins down to close. I also built a thin peice of plywood that snaps on the bottom where I saw some wear. I guess you can tell I pretty rough on things. Eventually want to have fenders for keeping bag off wheels and flying water. Picked up a bunch of Christmas lights with it the other day, and got a compliment on the Travoy. I like the way it quickley detaches when in a tight spot and reattaches so easily too.

I've been very happy with the ST2 trailer plates so far, except for the fact that I ordered them in April when I bought the first bike and Stromer didn't send them until November. They seem to be a lot less flimsy than I had feared. I did have to fashion my own custom "BOB Nutz" in order to accommodate the Burley trailer mounts as well.
IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a couple of sweet looking rigs. The studded tires are the icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, what a couple of sweet looking rigs. The studded tires are the icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, John. Unfortunately I threw the studs in late November expecting some snow but the forecast isn't showing any snow here in Wisconsin until next year. :( At least they will be very broken in by then.

Thanks, John. Unfortunately I threw the studs in late November expecting some snow but the forecast isn't showing any snow here in Wisconsin until next year. :( At least they will be very broken in by then.
@Sina - having grown up in northern IL and lived in MN for 30 years I can relate. When you do get snow and some winter riding in on the ST2(s) it would be great if you could share your experiences. I noticed the new app even has a preset setting for Level 2 and snow.

Bought this weekend a second hand trailer from Croozer the Cargo but not the most recent model
I made a big checkup and is now ready

removed the rusty screws and replaced by stainless
wetsanded and polished the frame paint
washed the textile

Old version

http://www.futurumshop.nl/croozer-cargo-bagagekar.phtml

New Version

https://be.croozer.com/fietsaanhangers/croozer-cargo/

Made a 2D des!gn for the trailerplate, see if the paper fits to print in 3D
if OK make a stainless plate

More when ready.

Last edited:
Totally jazzed and totally untested...but not for long

I'm adding a trailering capability to my ST2. Forever I have schemed to add a trailer to my touring stable and lately the Radical Design Cyclone IV Treking has been tempting me. I have done many a mile on single and tandem bikes laden with panniers but with the recent addition of the ST2 to my 2 wheel rolling stock the idea of more weight and racks on the ebike has pushed over the edge for purchasing a trailer.

I took the plunge!

I bought the trailer assuming I would have to tackle the hitch question once I fully understood the specific attachment needs. After considering several alternative approaches once i had the parts in hand, I figured I was going to need to have a custom axle made and proceeded to sketch up an idea for one (shown below). I researched some local machine shop and was moving in that direction when the wonderful internet served up the perfect solution already made and ready for shipping, The Robert Axle Project.

Long story shortened, I confirmed Thursday evening that they had what I needed via email (a 5 minute response time at 10pm) and placed my order on their website 10 minutes later. It shipped Friday and arrived today and got installed in about 10 minutes flat.

Time and testing will tell, but darn, it all seems to fit together perfectly. Check out the photos.
View attachment 4837 View attachment 4838 View attachment 4839 View attachment 4840 View attachment 4841 View attachment 4842 View attachment 4843 View attachment 4844

Trailer supplier
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Axle supplier
http://www.robertaxleproject.com

Hi John,

I really like the solution you found for your Radical Design trailer.

I too have a Stromer ST2 S and a Radical Design trailer.

I'm ready to order the same axel you got from Robert Axel Project but would you be able to tell me which axel I would need? They have many on the website and I want to make sure I get the right one...do you have the measurements?

Thanks!!

Joe

It took me some time to produce the connection between the ST2 and the trailer
but today the first testride to see if all fits.
Some minor things to do: Better Stromer fitted ss bolts and plastidip them in black.
6pKXPh6m.jpg

9iUqvuvm.jpg

In the end I didn't go for the Robert Axel Project but got the plates from Stromer instead.

I've attached my Radical Design trailer and it all works like a dream! I can carry very heavy loads and fly around without feeling the weight!

However, my dealer tells me that it's illegal in the EU so if the Police stop me and are knowledgeable about the legislation, I may have problems... Apparently it's legal in Switzerland, though, the birthplace of the Stromer...

Admittedly not an ST2, but I've had very good luck with https://burley.com/product/flatbed/ the stock adapter needs to be drilled out. I'd found a vendor who fabricates their own compatible mounts who was happy to drill it out for me.
Clint Foner
Innovative Recreation LLC
763-263-0070

But for non-costco trips, a pair of timbuk2 rear panniers (topeak rack) along with a pair of thule panniers on a pack n pedal on the front usually suffices ;>

Back