SRAM S700 single-click lever on Como 5.0

GuruUno

Unlike anything ever used by me in the past, I see that the Como 5.0 uses a SRAM S700, a single-click lever for shifting.
I mean that 'normally', (in my past experience) it's a thumb/finger action (shift up, shift down) with the front and the rear thumb/finger to push the levers in all my past experience with shifting.
However, this seems odd (to me anyway) that you have to physically take your thumb off of the front push lever and move it (reaching) behind the front lever to actuate the opposite lever (behind the front lever) and push that lever instead of the normal finger pulling it (or alternately pushing it with your fingertip). (like the 2021 Vado 5.0 with a Shimano SLX shifter)
My wife never ever having been previously exposed to or experiencing anything with shift levers (thumb actuated) has acclimated to it.
Me, I'm finding it odd and needing to 'reach' behind the front lever to the back lever and it's not seeming like a fluid, ease of use action.
What do I need to do to acclimate myself to this type of lever?
Explained at 25 seconds to 40 seconds in this clip:

Last edited:
There are pros and cons to push/push vs push/pull
In the end once acclimated it is a matter of personal preference.
I prefer push / push myself as it does not require to shift the hand posture to reach for the pull behind the grip :)

Had the set up on my last bike. Took awhile to adjust to using it but became second nature after a while.

The thumb/finger action is the Shimano standard. I assume it is protected by patents which is why SRAM is different. On my Vado SL, the Shimano lever will also work in push-push mode so it is, in effect, SRAM compatible. I tried the push-push operation but quickly decided I preferred the Shimano system.

Back