Spokes breaking

Carney Paul

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, anyone have experience to share of spokes breaking? My e-bike is about 2 yr old, just over 1000 miles on mostly gravel tracks. Just had two spokes break in mid-span.

When one becomes loose it stresses the others. A bike shop can cut the new spokes and relace the wheel with quality spokes and nipples. A good wheel build should last the life of a bike. I will cost about 200 British pounds. This is most common with lesser grade hub-drive bikes. Particularly with the rear.

A solid wheel build should be pretty durable, but even then spokes can break if they get nicked or scraped, which happens sometimes when riding (especially on gravel or trail, where rocks can get kicked up and bounce off spokes). Its also easy to damage spokes if the drivetrain is out of wack and dumps the chain into the spokes over the cassette.

Once one breaks, it places additional stress on adjacent spokes which can cause a cascade of failure. Always best to replace a broken spoke as soon as you can.

A solid wheel build should be pretty durable, but even then spokes can break if they get nicked or scraped, which happens sometimes when riding (especially on gravel or trail, where rocks can get kicked up and bounce off spokes). Its also easy to damage spokes if the drivetrain is out of wack and dumps the chain into the spokes over the cassette.

Once one breaks, it places additional stress on adjacent spokes which can cause a cascade of failure. Always best to replace a broken spoke as soon as you can.
yes I had two wheel sets built one to replace a cracked rim after 10,000 miles then on our tandem. the tandem back wheel rim cracked after a couple thousand miles. really weird for a velocity cliffhanger rim. but it only cracked on a few holes. so a warranty replacement. but my first e bike a heavy mid drive had three broken spokes 600 miles. the shop would have rep-laced them but I knew I needed a wheel rebuilt so I paid for it. only for it to have a bad rim a tire would not stay on and they replaced the rim again.

When one becomes loose it stresses the others. A bike shop can cut the new spokes and relace the wheel with quality spokes and nipples. A good wheel build should last the life of a bike. I will cost about 200 British pounds. This is most common with lesser grade hub-drive bikes. Particularly with the rear.
hey you all,
you say a good bike show will be able to lace at about £200, would you know of any that will lace a 16 inch wheel to motor in London.
local..... Oval SW9 0lr
OH and in the same day

hey you all,
you say a good bike show will be able to lace at about £200, would you know of any that will lace a 16 inch wheel to motor in London.
local..... Oval SW9 0lr
OH and in the same day
a friend of mine lives in Brixton and has been using Brixton Cycles for a while now, they apparently do good work. he has a mid drive though so i'm not sure if they'll lace in a motor, no harm in asking though.

a friend of mine lives in Brixton and has been using Brixton Cycles for a while now, they apparently do good work. he has a mid drive though so i'm not sure if they'll lace in a motor, no harm in asking though.
Thanks for that~ the problem, I should have said, is that I've yet to find an E-bike shop that doesn't refuse to work on any E-bike not sold by themselves. But now that I've ordered the motor etc.. I'll ask again.

I had the same issue, where local shops wouldn't even consider working on something they didn't sell (I hope they starve to death). Though it was a pretty daunting task I did the research and ended up learning to do it myself. That first one turned out so well I've done 3 more since.

Regarding breakage, my experience would be the spokes aren't/weren't adjusted correctly. Pretty likely at least some of them are too loose...

You would at least need to take one spoke to a bike shop so they can cut new ones with threads the correct length. And have them make a stack of spares. Good spokes are inexpensive, yet vital. Also buy a bin of quality nipples and a spoke wrench. Lacing one at a time would be best as you will mark all the old ones first.

Back