Speed in pas 1/2 and other questions

vincent

I just ordered one of these for a friend and another state and would like to know how fast this bike accelerates in level one and level two and also what the top speed is in those levels

I see that it has a 12 magnet cadence sensor

and I am hoping that the pedal assist is controlled

personally do not like cadence bikes that are fast in the lower levels because it’s a pain in the butt riding them on sidewalks or multi use bike path

Last question is how modulated and controlled is the throttle? Is it really off/on or can you hold it at quarter turn and Do six or 7 miles an hour etc.

Thank you so much for any feedback

I just ordered one of these for a friend and another state and would like to know how fast this bike accelerates in level one and level two and also what the top speed is in those levels

I see that it has a 12 magnet cadence sensor

and I am hoping that the pedal assist is controlled

personally do not like cadence bikes that are fast in the lower levels because it’s a pain in the butt riding them on sidewalks or multi use bike path

Last question is how modulated and controlled is the throttle? Is it really off/on or can you hold it at quarter turn and Do six or 7 miles an hour etc.

At default settings, the pedal assist comes on smoothly as you pedal, and level 1 is about 6-7 mph. The throttle works like one on a motorcycle. The more you turn it. the faster you go. It is possible to just turn it a little, and poke along at 3-4 mph.

Think it depends on the bike class. Mine's a class 2 so the motor cuts out when the bike reaches 20MPH no matter which PAS level you're on and the same is true with the throttle.

Thanks for the feedback guys

is the controller set up to give a % of power in each level or cut out at a certain speed in each level?

Thank you for the feedback
Sounds like the PAS system is controlled and not too fast in the lower levels

It IS off/on and you cannot hold at quarter turn and do six or 7 miles an hour etc.

That would be nice though!

Edit: I was mistaken. See post #15.

Last edited:
ahhh, will keep this in mind

considering cancelling the order, i am not a fan of lousy programmed cadence bikes- but i noticed at least for the pas you have levels you can change in the advanced settings, that is encouraging

anybody in AZ with a lectric i could test ride?

The throttle on mine is very gradual. I can hold it at a very slow speed, like 3 mph, as long as I'm not pedaling. One nice thing is that it shuts off the power instantly when you release it. If you start pedaling, though, it goes up to whatever PAS you are in, like 6 or 7mph in PAS1.

That sounds really good for a cadence based system and I would be happy with that for my friend, just don’t want to get her something that’s crazy on off and hard to control at slow speed on sidewalks etc.

ahhh, will keep this in mind

considering cancelling the order, i am not a fan of lousy programmed cadence bikes- but i noticed at least for the pas you have levels you can change in the advanced settings, that is encouraging

anybody in AZ with a lectric i could test ride?
I think with this ebike (and most other low cost eBikes), the ON/OFF feeling is more about the controller than the cadence sensor. Low cost eBikes use a "square wave" controller to cut down on cost. The more expensive eBikes use a "sign wave" controller which is more gradual or smooth in terms of the motor power coming on. A lot of new eBikes are going to the sign wave controllers like NCM and Ride 1up for example. These bikes can be had with sign wave controllers at the $1000 price point if you do your research. If you watch EBR's very first review of the Lectric XP...you will hear Court say as soon as he gets on the bike for the first time and turns the throttle.."ahh, its a square wave controller" or words to that effect. He felt it immediately because he has reviewed hundreds of eBikes. Square wave isn't bad...its just not a smoother, more gentle burst of power.

Maybe they have updated things. Mine comes on gradually, and you can keep it at a creep if you want.

I stand corrected! I guess I never really tried it before, but you can actually twist the throttle a little and cruise at a lot speed. In my testing yesterday on level asphalt, the minimum speed I could do was about 4-5 mph.

Last edited:
There is also a “Walk” mode that is around 3-4 mph. I have heard this mentioned in a few videos, and I saw it switched on briefly on YouTube.

Copy & Paste from the owners’ manual:

“Walk Mode
In general electric bikes are heavier than their non-electric counterparts. This makes walking the bike a more strenuous activity. To make walking the bike easier, the Lectric XP is equipped with walk mode. If you hold down the down arrow on the display control pad the motor will engage at a speed similar to a slow walk. When walk mode is engaged a “Walk” indicator will appear on the display. To deactivate walk mode simply pull the brake levers to engage the motor inhibitors or hold the down arrow.”

Not to be a spelling nazi, but the term for waveform type is “Sine Wave” vs. Sign Wave. I mention this in case others might use the term for a search.

Last edited:
I've put over 300 miles on my XP so far, and can confirm the throttle is definitely proportional (not on/off), and there are two settings that the user can adjust to set how fast and how strong the PAS comes on. On the different PAS levels, if you watch the current draw on the display as you're riding, you note that as you approach a certain speed the current falls off - and if you pedal faster, the motor draws essentially no current. These appear to be the speeds programmed into the controller as the base speed for each PAS level. Those APPROXIMATE speeds on mine seem to be PAS 1: 6 mph, PAS 2: 12 mph, PAS 3: 17 mph, PAS 4: 21 mph, and PAS 5: 25 mph. Note these speeds seem to depend on the charge level of the battery, and if you're on the last legs of a charge you won't likely see 25 mph because the battery just doesn't have much left to offer!

Bud

I've put over 300 miles on my XP so far, and can confirm the throttle is definitely proportional (not on/off), and there are two settings that the user can adjust to set how fast and how strong the PAS comes on. On the different PAS levels, if you watch the current draw on the display as you're riding, you note that as you approach a certain speed the current falls off - and if you pedal faster, the motor draws essentially no current. These appear to be the speeds programmed into the controller as the base speed for each PAS level. Those APPROXIMATE speeds on mine seem to be PAS 1: 6 mph, PAS 2: 12 mph, PAS 3: 17 mph, PAS 4: 21 mph, and PAS 5: 25 mph. Note these speeds seem to depend on the charge level of the battery, and if you're on the last legs of a charge you won't likely see 25 mph because the battery just doesn't have much left to offer!

Bud

Right on the money, especially the last part about battery level vs PAS top speeds.

Back