Speed Hacks (Modifying a Speed Governor)

Are you thinking about moding your bike for more speed?
Nope. I already degoverned my Haibike, and my folder with BBS02 is borderline too fast for the platform. I'm thinking about pulling the motor and putting it on a more stable big-wheel bike.

Not interested in modifying my ebike. Engineers have designed to operate as intended the little I gain from modification isn't worth the warranty or pushing the device outside it's intended properties.

I tend to agree with Timpo. The speed limits are for legal and not engineering reasons. It's not all that hard to pedal faster than 25 km/hr.

I had an old box-store donor bike laying around that I converted with a BBS02 kit for my daughter. I programmed it initially with "Karl’s special sauce" settings but then modified the settings to tame the beast and make it a lot more kid friendly. She never noticed the difference but I didn't want her tooling around the neighborhood at 45mph on a cheap bike.

I tend to agree with elyhim. But living in IL, I can ride a class 3 with no issues. What concerns me about all the speed hacks, does the rest of your bike support the speed? Large rotors, hydraulic brakes, heavy duty suspension forks, high quality tires, etc. I've reached 41.8mph on my Haibike XDURO Full Seven on steep grade. Of course when I hit the bump at the bottom, the thought crossed my mind about exceeding design limits. I know my helmet would do nothing if my head hit the pavement at that speed either.

Rich what you said is true with all bike. You need to take in all the factors, rider weight and gear + bike . I have hit 50 mph on bike a number of time down step hills. The reason I got and e bike is for going up those step hills, even if you modify you bike it most likely not go uphill faster than 20. I would like to see the complete acceptance of class 1 and 2 e bike. So I see no reason to make
your bike go faster. Just buy a motorcycle

Back