Specialized Vado Firmware - very little motor drag after 4.0.1 firmware update

Thomo

(Posted in General Forum also - but more relevant here)

Morning,

I got my LBS to update the firmware on my Vado 2 to the latest version 4.0.1 and please to say its pretty much resolved the issue of motor drag when hitting the maximum allowed assisted speed limit.

Prior to this, I'd hit 15.5mph and it would feel like the bike was putting on the brakes to prevent me pedaling through it - it was really horrible to ride. So much so that I emailed Specialized support, but they blamed it on the bike simply being heavy with no assist. I didn't believe this to be the cause and had pretty much given up commuting the 12 odd miles a day on it due to this.

Anyway, the 4.0.1 firmware seems to have almost totally resolved this, you can now easily pedal through the limit and although you can definitely still feel the motor kicking in and out around 15.5mph its very discreet. Its finally the bike I expected when I purchased just over a year ago.

So, anyone with this issue, I'd recommend contacting your local dealer.

:)

T

I had this issue a few months ago and I too was really feeling it, but at ~17mph. the 15.5mph ~= 25kmh, which is a EU limit. I too had a firmware update, but the underlying issue is the EU limit that only the LBS can toggle off. Now I chase down and pass road bikes for sport.

Rode my Vado home after dropping it off at the shop for firmware updates. I have to say that I didn't notice any difference climbing the hills on the way home. A plesant ride with a nice stretch of cardio.

Motor drag mostly eliminated after firmware update. I like to ride with power off with a noticeable drag from the motor. LBS updated firmware (and forced update to motor just in case). Riding a park with no power showed no drag although seems you have to up cadence and then frees up. Will check this out but I was shocked to climb a steep hill to my home 2 cogs up easily!? It did seem as the bike pedaled smoother which I only noticed after couple hours of riding. Curious.

Motor drag mostly eliminated after firmware update. I like to ride with power off with a noticeable drag from the motor. LBS updated firmware (and forced update to motor just in case). Riding a park with no power showed no drag although seems you have to up cadence and then frees up. Will check this out but I was shocked to climb a steep hill to my home 2 cogs up easily!? It did seem as the bike pedaled smoother which I only noticed after couple hours of riding. Curious.
That's good news. Guess I'll give it a try.

Back