Specialized Vado / Como, Class 3

mrcasey

I'm looking for an ebike for commuting and errands in an urban area. Need to be able to put a baby on the back from time to time and maybe carry some bags, but not too much. Most of the area is flat but I do live near the bottom of a fairly large hill that I'd want to go over sometimes. Not planning on off-roading.

I went to my local bike show and test rode a Vado 3.0 (Class 3) and Como 3.0 (Class 1) recently. I did find the extra speed of the Class 3 worthwhile (I was often going ~23 mph), but didn't really have a strong preference between the Vado and Como frames. I realized I'd probably want a step-through if I wanted to load a baby on the back.

This leaves me with the step-through Vado 3.0+ and Como 4.0+. It's hard for me to compare between the two and also hard to quantify the value of going up the chain on either of these lines. Is the lowest class 3 probably what I'll want here?

It sounds like you've answered your own question, you prefer the speed of the Class 3, and there doesn't seem to be much in it between the two bikes other than the wider tires of the Como. If you're going to put a child seat on the rack I'd suggest asking the shop to confirm the rack is rated to carry at least 55lb and have them swap out for a sturdier rack if necessary or get a child seat that attaches to the seatpost. A lot of child seats have foot guards that won't work well with panniers so you might consider adding a front basket.

Last edited:
Major differences:

Como has more convenient riding position if that matters.
Funny thing: The Como 3.0 advertised on the Specialized website is the 2018 model and the Women's Vado 3.0 is the 2019 model there.

Any particular reason why you're limiting your search to Specialized? Seems like you'd find more options if you were open to other brands.

Tell me something about another beautiful Class 3 mid-drive motor e-bike in that price range made and supported by a big brand 😊

Yeah, I'd definitely find more options with a broader search, but honestly I've had a lot of choice paralysis in looking around and am now biasing toward things that are stocked at my local bike store to help narrow down my choice.

Tell me something about another beautiful Class 3 mid-drive motor e-bike in that price range made and supported by a big brand 😊
Yes, but those are your parameters, Stefan.

The OP in fact only wrote: "I'm looking for an ebike for commuting and errands in an urban area. Need to be able to put a baby on the back from time to time and maybe carry some bags, but not too much."

Yeah, I'd definitely find more options with a broader search, but honestly I've had a lot of choice paralysis in looking around and am now biasing toward things that are stocked at my local bike store to help narrow down my choice.
Makes sense @mrcasey. I'm honestly in a similar boat! Like your term "choice paralysis." With so much information overload it can certainly develop! 😋

My two cents is to suggest whichever bike has the stronger/longer battery. Things that decrease range; weight of rider & “stuff”, and hills. But the big drain for me is head winds. They act like a big sponge sucking up the battery power.
Congrats on your new ebike.

I have a 2020 Como 4.0. I've only put about a hundred miles on it but I can say it's a nice bike.
I've never ridden a Vado but I'm pretty sure they come with a rack, the Como doesn't, plus the Vado is $250 cheaper. The only problem is the rack is only rated to 48.5 lbs according to Court's review and I don't know if the rack would work with a child carrier.

Yes, but those are your parameters, Stefan.

The OP in fact only wrote: "I'm looking for an ebike for commuting and errands in an urban area. Need to be able to put a baby on the back from time to time and maybe carry some bags, but not too much."
The Vado is a perfect commuter and I appreciate the OP's choice.

I totally agree with the rack issue question. From what I'm reading here, the big question that lives above all other questions in your case, is what's going to be the safest bike to ride with a baby literally attached? The Vado rack appears designed to carry stuff, not kids. The Vado rack design doesn't incorporate conventional triangulation architectural geometry. It triangulates by connecting the rack into the fenders. Which is kinda weird? The Vado rack is missing the third down tube/rod that virtually every other conventional bike rack has. One really great thing about the Como is that it's more customizable than the Vado. Since it doesn't come with a rear rack, you get to pick your own. The negative is that you have to pay for the customization. Someone asked why are you looking at Specialized in the first place? That's a really good question. There are a gazillion outstanding e-bikes out there right now in a very similar price range. Me, I'm looking at Specialized because I live in a rural location and want a LBS to back up the bike if there's a problem. I only have the choice between Trek and Specialized. I bought an internet e-bike (a Rad Bike) and didn't understand that nobody local would want to work on it. Between Specialized and Trek e-bikes in the mid-price range, I think Specialized wins, but maybe you don't have those limitations between brands? Pick the bike that is the safest to hold a baby that you can afford. That's your question that you're looking to have answered.

Thanks for all the feedback- indeed the Vado's non-triangular supports aren't good for my uses, so I'm now planning to get a Como 4.0.

I was thinking of getting the low-step version so that I could mount the bike without tipping it much (especially if there's a baby on the back!) but I'm now thinking that the standover height on the other one didn't seem *too* tall (plus has better bosses, easier to remove battery).

Regarding "choice paralysis", it's a term I learned from the book "Paradox of Choice", which I highly recommend- changed the way I make decisions like this.

If you look hard enough, all the things you want are out there. Look at Thule kid carriers for one. I have mounted Axiom rear carriers on Como and Vado bikes (right over the standard Vado integrated rack) for people. Looks like a beast but it works if you want to carry panniers and a trunk bag at once. Make sure the hardware you use is top quality. Don't want to shear a bolt at the wrong moment. And also watch your baggage loaded weight. Can make the bike unwieldy. The front pizza rack available for the Como is actually very useful, particularly for balancing loads, but is a bit awkward with most car racks. Just my 2cents.

Six weeks ago I got an Allant+ 8s (28 MPH) to commute 10 miles each way. I haven't driven to work once since I got it -- it is so much fun. There is NO WAY I would buy a 20 MPH bike with what I know now. If Trek/Specialized wanted to donate a 20MPH bike I might consider taking it. Might. Probably not.

I don't have a lot of traffic lights -- if I did (e.g. NYC/DC riding) I would consider a 20 MPH. Now that my legs are stronger, most of my commute I'm going ~24 MPH.

Six weeks ago I got an Allant+ 8s (28 MPH) to commute 10 miles each way. I haven't driven to work once since I got it -- it is so much fun. There is NO WAY I would buy a 20 MPH bike with what I know now. If Trek/Specialized wanted to donate a 20MPH bike I might consider taking it. Might. Probably not.

I don't have a lot of traffic lights -- if I did (e.g. NYC/DC riding) I would consider a 20 MPH. Now that my legs are stronger, most of my commute I'm going ~24 MPH.
Sure... $4300 buys you a better bike than $3300.

Is it a thousand dollars better day in and out though?

Back