Specialized Turbo X 2015 - Review

Sim

ear All,

I would need some advice regarding the purchase of a second hand ebike with following features:

- specialized turbo X
- model 2015
- 6000 km (approx 3700 miles!)
- power of motor: 500w
- asking price: usd 2’ooo

Is this model a good one?

I am quite worried about the mileage which is quite big. The person said that he looked after the battery well and was only recharding it when it was empty.

I would be very grateful for anyadvice/tips/recommendation you may have.

Many thanks!!

Should be a good buy considering the retail was $4k. Ride the bike and see if there are any quirks like power cutting out when you hit a bump, weird noises(the bike should be virtually silent) and Check the display back light. If you are worried about the battery, take it to a Specialized dealer and they can tell you how many cycles are left on the battery. I would also check the rear derailleur cable because the SRAM derailleurs like to eat up cables, in my experiences. There are four modes of operation, full assist, eco, no assist and regen. Check to make sure the bike goes into all four modes, otherwise that’s it.

Unless it has been upgraded (unlikely), I believe the 2015 Turbo X had a 200W (not 500W) motor. I have the 2016 X and mine was bumped to 250W. Of course, this is "nominal" power and I don't think represents the actual maximum assist (significantly higher).

Also, from what I've read, this is not the best way to treat a battery. It's much better to not fully discharge and to keep it closer to the middle of the charge range. And store it at around 50%. So that battery might have some wear - depending on what kind of range you'll need, that may or may not be an issue.

Otherwise, it's a great bike and I'm quite happy with mine (although my battery and LCD failed in the first year and both had to be replaced under warranty). A new battery is around US$800-$1000, I believe.

ear All,

I would need some advice regarding the purchase of a second hand ebike with following features:

- specialized turbo X
- model 2015
- 6000 km (approx 3700 miles!)
- power of motor: 500w
- asking price: usd 2’ooo

Is this model a good one?

I am quite worried about the mileage which is quite big. The person said that he looked after the battery well and was only recharding it when it was empty.

I would be very grateful for anyadvice/tips/recommendation you may have.

Many thanks!!
My advice is to be wary of this bike, considering its use and the fact that Specialized has decided to discontinue this model. The price seems a bit high for a heavily used, out of warranty, and discontinued bike.

Back