Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I picked up an old Puch bike, probably from the late 70s early 80s. Kind of reminded me of my old Montgomery Wards 10 spd, thought I'd do a R & R on it.

Was comparing chains. The difference between the 11 spd chains and the 5-9 spd chains is quite noticeable. I don't have an 1/8" chain to compare but that would look like a motorcycle chain in comparison to the 11 spd. It's no wonder now why my 10 spd chain on the conventional bike lasted quite so long in comparison to these 11 spd chains on the ebike.

So I'm considering on my next drivetrain R & R on Como to change it out to the 9 spd stuff. The parts are a lot cheaper and the shifter is only around $25. Give up two cassette gears for that might not be so bad around here with limited hill terrain. Too bad can't toss the 9 spd chain on the 11 gear drivetrain.

So we haven't gotten my husband's Vado 6 upgraded from BLOKS to TCD display yet, but yesterday I did have a chance to swap bikes with him so he could see if my BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro's Brose motor felt like it was giving him more or less torque, and I could see if his Vado was doing the needful on hills.

First of all, after having readjusted my handlebars on my BH so I am more upright, I have to say that the long downward reach on the Vado felt absurd. (This is also because I have longer legs and had to raise the Vado seat such that the Vado handlebars were lower than the seat, so not the right size bike for me.) Anyway, I tested out the assist and what I found was that it seemed like the assist in Turbo cut out. It would cut out and cut in. It felt like that tug when you reach 19.8 mph on a Class 1. When it was in, it was giving the kind of torque assist I would expect, but it kept popping in and out. So I'm thinking it needs a diagnosis from an ebike mechanic. Has anyone else experienced this?

Other than that, the Vado is a super ebike. Really smooth and accelerates fast. A classy bike! If I ever want to get a new ebike, I'll definitely be looking at a Como.

For his part, my husband said my bike was "Alright." Which is not useful, thank you, dear. 🙄 He says he may have been in the wrong gear, which is odd coming from somebody who is a very experienced cyclist. He also said he preferred the more aggressive geometry of his Vado to my more upright BH.

This test was on the Olympic Discovery Trail, on a long but not too radical uphill. We will try another test on our home hill, which we both know well and which is the hill we really need to conquer every time we ride.

For the 11 spd to 9 spd conversion on my Como 5, I have installed the 12-36 9 spd cassette in place of the oem 11 spd piece, it is a direct replacement, no spacers, etc. needed. I installed the 9 spd Alivio shifter and it comes with a cable, and it was an easy install. I was relieved when the cable went all the way through without any hitches, pulling the 11 spd shifter out with the cable is kind of a no going back type thing, but I suppose I could have removed the cable from the shifter if I was really worried, but it all came out and back in without any problems. There has to be a change between derailleurs because of the pull ratio difference which I just learned lately, so I ordered one and it should be in first of the week.

There is noticeable difference between widths of cogs and chains. In doing this exercise I'm expecting to extend chain and gear life at the sacrifice of 2 gears. I had a choice of the 11 or 12 top gear and went with the 12. The 36 low gear is the same for both.

Here are pics from left to right of a Schwinn chain I purchased at the local wally world for $7 for the old 10 spd I R&R'd, then an 8 spd, 9 spd, and the 11 spd far right. The two chains on the left should be the same, 9 spd thinner, 11 spd thinner yet. If there was a 10 spd chain it would split the difference between the 9 and 11, in plate width. The 8 spd is little thicker plate than the 9 spd and I think I may be able to use it. Shimano cogs which I am using are slightly thinner than Sram, and the 8 spd chain is that much thicker on the plates, so it may work.

All in I think I'm less than $150 on the change because of taxes, shipping was free through amazon. The shifter was $24, the cassette was $30, derailleur was $50.

I'll report back in a few weeks on the results.

Attachments

• DE54C74D-E953-47EA-9CD8-AB5C55447C7D.jpeg
    DE54C74D-E953-47EA-9CD8-AB5C55447C7D.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 106
Well I got the change made form 11 spd to 9 spd, it's official now. I'm a niner. Everything installed easily. I was a little concerned about the amount of cable for the derailleur because the reach around for the 9 spd was more than the 11 spd, but there was enough, not too much though. Here's some pics. In the first you can see the difference in ratio between the arms. In the second you can see in the one the amount of cable pulled through from the front shifter to make up the bend by the scuffing on the outer sheath where it passed through the chain stay. The last is the display for the gears. Kind of reminds me of kindergarten where we used big pencils and crayons and ate the glue. So getting old can be like being young.......

And I am using an 8 spd chain without any problems. This gives you just a little more material than the 9 spd. Does it help? There are 980 miles on the Como mule right now. I'll report back sometime with the results. And I'm using the 36t chainring, 12-36 cassette, and 118t chain, though a 116 would work also.

Attachments

• C106C51A-04F5-4714-8AA7-8FC94A6E8A98.jpeg
    C106C51A-04F5-4714-8AA7-8FC94A6E8A98.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 115
  • B80F9E32-AC2B-44E1-9C4E-A40FDF4D40E4.jpeg
    B80F9E32-AC2B-44E1-9C4E-A40FDF4D40E4.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 109
  • A5CC8176-E6C4-48AB-B709-02A60833787D.jpeg
    A5CC8176-E6C4-48AB-B709-02A60833787D.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 106
As a new Tero user (arrives Sat) I'm wondering has anyone connected their Garmin watch to their Tero? Is it possible or is it just the dedicated Garmin cycling computers?

On my post above I made a mistake on the derailleur. The one I installed doesn't have the hanger which is part #4100, probably for a road bike with more compact cassette. The correct part # is 3100, has the hanger. #4100 works but not the correct part. Working on bikes is fraught with peril.

Hey Como 5.0 owners; does anyone know how to the adjust the suspension seatpost?
It’s supposed to have 40mm of travel but right now it’s locked up tight with zero movement. I googled for more info and watched a couple YouTube videos. They said to adjust the hex screw at the bottom of the post. So far that didn’t work.
Any info would help.

Hey Como 5.0 owners; does anyone know how to the adjust the suspension seatpost?
It’s supposed to have 40mm of travel but right now it’s locked up tight with zero movement. I googled for more info and watched a couple YouTube videos. They said to adjust the hex screw at the bottom of the post. So far that didn’t work.
Any info would help.
Same experience with the suspension post on my 2022 Como 4.0. I gave it back to the shop and installed the post from the from the 2021 Como 5.0. Saved a lot of weight as well :)

Same experience with the suspension post on my 2022 Como 4.0. I gave it back to the shop and installed the post from the from the 2021 Como 5.0. Saved a lot of weight as well :)
Darn. I was thinking the problem was “user error“
How much travel are you getting on your 2021 seat post? And is it adjustable?
I haven’t decided yet, I just might get a Kinekt suspension seat post.

Darn. I was thinking the problem was “user error“
How much travel are you getting on your 2021 seat post? And is it adjustable?
I haven’t decided yet, I just might get a Kinekt suspension seat post.
I tried the adjustment with no luck. The replaced seat post is rigid, the original from the 2021 Como 5.0. The 2021 Como has the Thudbuster and the resulting plush ride.
The original tires on the 2022 Como 4.0 are huge and running low pressure gets a nice ride, that and the Ergon saddle works for me.

So nearly 1 week in on my new Tero 5
First things first, in XL size, the bike is an absolute beast - it doesn't fit into the cycle locker in our road which is a major issue :( Im Ok for the moment as I can hang it across 2 bays, but long term it looks like I will have to take the front wheel off every day to store it safely.
Performance wise, the weight takes a bit of getting used to but the motor feels very powerful and the bike is well balanced.
I added the official Specialized (EQ) set which includes fenders and inbuilt lights and a topeak bag for my commute in. (Does anyone know how to turn the inbuilt lights off?)
I have commuted in twice this week, 26 mile round trip each time, it has been a joy to ride at those sort of distances, Im in 3 days next week, I am enjoying the rides so far, so credit where credit is deserved
Battery life has been OK, I have ridden 62 miles this week in total and that took me from 100% to 12% so I reckon 70 miles on a full charge
That is on mainly flattish roads using eco for 90% and trail for 10%
The gearing isn't great for roads, Im spending my entire trip in the 2 highest gears, Im going for a long off road ride tomorrow so I fully expect that not to be the case then.

All in all it is a good bike, but it really should be for the price!

I'm finally satisfied with the conversion to the 9 spd on the Como from the 11 spd. Everything was running great and I decided I had better change the derailleur to the proper one with the additional hanger. When I did that things went down hill. Without the hanger the B line was real close to the cogs so everything shifted with purpose, with the additional hanger and correct space the shifting wasn't as crisp or positive. I fiddled with it and changed chains and finally got it working pretty well, 1/4 turn either way on the adjusting screw can make a difference. I am back to the 9 spd chain, can't recommend the thicker 5-8 spd chain at the moment.

I was comparing the 11 spd derailleur and 9 spd Alivio derailleur, the return spring of the 11 spd is twice the size of the 9 spd spring which I am thinking is the reason for the mushy shifting. Nothing to do about that, shifting to a bigger cog is fine, it is when tension on the cable is relaxed to shift to a smaller cog that it is slow sometimes and was hanging up. Maybe it will get better.

So I left the Vado as an 11 spd. As a compensation, I shortened the handlebars to 25". This to me feels better and I like the more compact feel. I have the aftermarket slightly raised handlebars also, for anyone installing raised handlebars or making changes to the gooseneck to raise the sitting position, shortening the handlebars and moving the levers in will give slack in the cables for the change.

Ride on.

As a new Tero user (arrives Sat) I'm wondering has anyone connected their Garmin watch to their Tero? Is it possible or is it just the dedicated Garmin cycling computers?
I'm late to this party, but my Garmin connects just fine to the Tero for cadence tracking. I assume it works just fine for you too, but if it doesn't, just know it should!

I'm late to this party, but my Garmin connects just fine to the Tero for cadence tracking. I assume it works just fine for you too, but if it doesn't, just know it should!
I'm not sure what about the e-bike battery %, range, and assistance mode on the Garmin watch though.

Back