Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I'm close to ordering the spare battery for my Vado. How many of you have got more than one battery?

My goal is to be able to make a 100+ km (62+ mi) round trip to Sochaczew via Kampinos then return way via Żyrardów. Not that Sochaczew is an interesting city because it is actually boring but it is a good goal because of the distance ;) With my current range, that would require two batteries and riding in the Eco mode.

View attachment 45592
Hi Stefan. I purchased a spare battery for my Vado 3. I have done several 100km+ rides. I take the spare in a bag on the rack. Works well.

Good to know, thank you. I have reminded my Specialized dealer about it. They are helpful but as they mostly sell acoustic bikes, I could be badly surprised receiving the bare battery.

Specialized appear an international organisation nowadays. The engineering being done in Switzerland, the frames being made in Taiwan. The EU Certificate of Conformity for my Vado is signed by a person of Chinese name. It seems that Specialized (as Giant) supply different markets with different models, especially as bike laws are so different on different continents. For example, the only Speed models of Turbo Vado in Europe are the 5.0 and 6.0. These are equipped with all-day lighting, a horn, a number plate support integrated with the tail-light, and a rear-view mirror, all per Euro law requirements.

The 2020 Vado 6.0 is available in Europe. For you better understanding, the price is US$5455.
View attachment 45542

My own words! What a feeling to ride at 40 km/h on a good tarmac and no noise! All you hear is the tyres hum on the blacktop. The other bike with the hub motor is almost as silent but there is a quiet whistling from the motor when it is spinning up (it is silent later), which is irritating a little. The other bike also feels somewhat heavy on riding it. Not the case with the Vado in the Sport mode.

I always liked Vado's design(specialized designs in general are very nice). Such nice curves.

How is your chain life ? Are you using ebike specific chains?

Because of the Autumn/Winter conditions and the fact I ride two e-bikes, the mileage on the Vado is not that great yet (some 1200 km). The bike is equipped with the Shimano CN-HG601-11 e-bike specific chain. I'm riding with the "Shadow" feature of the derailleur so the chain is never getting loose. Will see about the longevity.

Good thing about the Vado is my model came with high quality components (the 2017 Vado 5.0 has similar specs to the 2019/2020 Vado 6.0 available in Europe, with a better headlight). Meaning, I don't need to invest to make it better. Quite different story with my Czech Lovelec e-bike which is made well but the components are far cheaper there; the Lovelec is getting better parts from me from time to time. For example, better head- and tail-light, a better chain, winter tyres etc. With the Vado, I even don't intend to change the tyres as the Elektrak 2.0 are so good.

Because of the Autumn/Winter conditions and the fact I ride two e-bikes, the mileage on the Vado is not that great yet (some 1200 km). The bike is equipped with the Shimano CN-HG601-11 e-bike specific chain. I'm riding with the "Shadow" feature of the derailleur so the chain is never getting loose. Will see about the longevity.

Good thing about the Vado is my model came with high quality components (the 2017 Vado 5.0 has similar specs to the 2019/2020 Vado 6.0 available in Europe, with a better headlight). Meaning, I don't need to invest to make it better. Quite different story with my Czech Lovelec e-bike which is made well but the components are far cheaper there; the Lovelec is getting better parts from me from time to time. For example, better head- and tail-light, a better chain, winter tyres etc. With the Vado, I even don't intend to change the tyres as the Elektrak 2.0 are so good.
So with the thread title in mind i would like to brag about my 2017 Vado 3. Its my commuter to work around 12km and weekend rides. Its now done over 12000km and currently have taken the motor out for the first service. I had some issues with the original display which has now been changed with the current version and no issues since. I changed the original Trigger tyres with Schwalbe Marathon Plus at 2000km and they are still on the bike. I purchased a second 650b wheel set with 2.8in tyres to ride rail trails we have here in NZ. I can run these with or without the guards. Im on my third chain and cassette and have changed the gear cable once. Its been a fantastic bike and looking forward to many more kms on it. My wife now has a 2020 Vado4 and we ride as much as we can. Happy days.

So with the thread title in mind i would like to brag about my 2017 Vado 3. Its my commuter to work around 12km and weekend rides. Its now done over 12000km and currently have taken the motor out for the first service. I had some issues with the original display which has now been changed with the current version and no issues since. I changed the original Trigger tyres with Schwalbe Marathon Plus at 2000km and they are still on the bike. I purchased a second 650b wheel set with 2.8in tyres to ride rail trails we have here in NZ. I can run these with or without the guards. Im on my third chain and cassette and have changed the gear cable once. Its been a fantastic bike and looking forward to many more kms on it. My wife now has a 2020 Vado4 and we ride as much as we can. Happy days.
How nice! I agree with you good tires are important. Please tell me two things:
  1. I did't know the 2.8" 650b wheels would fit the Vado. Is there enough clearance between the tyre and the fork/rear stays?
  2. How did you manage the sensor magnets when replacing the rear wheel?
I'd love to put thicker tyres because I'm riding a rigid fork version. 2" tyres are almost OK off-road. Almost :D

I'm also glad you you're riding Vados together with your wife. When I was buying the Vado, the intention was my gf would ride it when we rejoin in the spring (she lives in London). I want my gf to ride the best of the best!

Are you from New Zealand?

How nice! I agree with you good tires are important. Please tell me two things:
  1. I did't know the 2.8" 650b wheels would fit the Vado. Is there enough clearance between the tyre and the fork/rear stays?
  2. How did you manage the sensor magnets when replacing the rear wheel?
I'd love to put thicker tyres because I'm riding a rigid fork version. 2" tyres are almost OK off-road. Almost :D

I'm also glad you you're riding Vados together with your wife. When I was buying the Vado, the intention was my gf would ride it when we rejoin in the spring (she lives in London). I want my gf to ride the best of the best!

Are you from New Zealand?
Here are our bikes without guards with the 650 wheels. They fit with the guards as well. The diameter of the tyres are very close to the standard 29 wheels due to the high volume so no need to change any settings in the bike. I purchased the rear brake, magnet and cassette so its a straight change over, the gear indexing is the same as well. Im not sure with the rigid front fork on your bike but it there is more than enough clearance with the suspension fork and rear stays. We run these tyres tubless and about 15-20 psi.
Yes im from New Zealand.

Attachments

• 20191027_121301.jpg
    20191027_121301.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 773
I would need to retain the mudguards and the carrier though. The reason is the Vado 5.0 is an S-Pedelec. The carrier has the license plate integrated with the tail-light, and due to law requirements nothing can be removed (disconnecting the tail-light with STOP light would probably produce an error, too). Besides, removing Dry-Tech mudguards in a wet country of Poland would be rather unwise :D

Here are our bikes without guards with the 650 wheels. They fit with the guards as well. The diameter of the tyres are very close to the standard 29 wheels due to the high volume so no need to change any settings in the bike. I purchased the rear brake, magnet and cassette so its a straight change over, the gear indexing is the same as well. Im not sure with the rigid front fork on your bike but it there is more than enough clearance with the suspension fork and rear stays. We run these tyres tubless and about 15-20 psi.
Yes im from New Zealand.
So a vado and a como? You're the guy I've been looking for ;) Wait that didn't come out Right : I'd be interested to get your Opinion Como Vs Vado :

Yes im from New Zealand.
Is that a suspension seat post? What is it? How do you like it?
I purchased a Kinekt and took few rides to get used to the feeling. I like it now.

Attachments

• BCE19CC6-5A9A-4A08-8D52-DE1A48BD10DA.jpeg
    BCE19CC6-5A9A-4A08-8D52-DE1A48BD10DA.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 476
I would need to retain the mudguards and the carrier though. The reason is the Vado 5.0 is an S-Pedelec. The carrier has the license plate integrated with the tail-light, and due to law requirements nothing can be removed (disconnecting the tail-light with STOP light would probably produce an error, too). Besides, removing Dry-Tech mudguards in a wet country of Poland would be rather unwise :D
The como has Rack Mount stays : Why they didn't do that on the Vado is Questionable : IMO the rear rack on Both Como and Vado SUCKS

Friends! I'm so happy!

I was suffering because of the lack of connectivity between the BLOKS display of my Vado 5 and my smartphone. Not to be able to look "inside" my Vado was a terrible experience. Now, thanks to @TS25, I've got the unsupported "Turbo Vado/Como Tune App" installed on my Android phone and it works! It is almost as good as the new Mission Control app.

1582610103353.png

The start screen

1582610166470.png

My Vado detected and paired by Bluetooth. The connection took a longer while.

1582610239328.png

The settings. My Vado supported me too much in the Eco (35%) and in the Sport (70%) modes. Also, the Max Motor Current (Peak Power) set to 100% might be too much. I am dedicated to increase the battery range at the cost of performance. The Wheel Circumference was wrong for my bike. The Electrak 2.0 tyres are 51-622 and the wheel circumference is 2274 mm. The original value reports lower speed than the actual and shorter distance covered than it actually is.
1582610744596.png

What I really wanted to see was the "Battery health"

1582610816905.png

Battery details

1582610874983.png

Motor details. 13 C is the current temperature in my garage.

Excited! Now I've got the detailed information and the chance to control my Vado!

Attachments

• 1582610645942.png
    1582610645942.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 370
Friends! I'm so happy!

I was suffering because of the lack of connectivity between the BLOKS display of my Vado 5 and my smartphone. Not to be able to look "inside" my Vado was a terrible experience. Now, thanks to @TS25, I've got the unsupported "Turbo Vado/Como Tune App" installed on my Android phone and it works! It is almost as good as the new Mission Control app.

View attachment 46388
The start screen

View attachment 46389
My Vado detected and paired by Bluetooth. The connection took a longer while.

View attachment 46390
The settings. My Vado supported me too much in the Eco (35%) and in the Sport (70%) modes. Also, the Max Motor Current (Peak Power) set to 100% might be too much. I am dedicated to increase the battery range at the cost of performance. The Wheel Circumference was wrong for my bike. The Electrak 2.0 tyres are 51-622 and the wheel circumference is 2274 mm. The original value reports lower speed than the actual and shorter distance covered than it actually is.
View attachment 46392
What I really wanted to see was the "Battery health"

View attachment 46393
Battery details

View attachment 46394
Motor details. 13 C is the current temperature in my garage.

Excited! Now I've got the detailed information and the chance to control my Vado!
Hey Make a Thread About This So we can find it Later : That would be appreciated By several I'm Sure :) If not You got nothing better to do anyway LOL ;) JK

Back