Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 vs Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ

radhika1

Region
USA
Terribly confused between the 2 bikes. I love the fact that the SL is light weight and am leaning towards this one, but would love to hear people’s experiences, especially along the following lines:
- is the SL much more noisy compared to the Vado?
- can the SL be ridden on light gravel paths?
- does the SL have a similar upright position geometry as the Vado?

2 additional questions on these -
1. The step through model is easier for me to ride while commuting into work. Is there any downside to this?
2. Anyone tried the IGH version? Seems more intuitive and smooth but would love to hear experiences

TYSM in advance!!

- is the SL much more noisy compared to the Vado?
It is noisy. I do not mind myself but many users say the high-pitched whine of Vado SL is annoying. The latest Vado is not silent either but it is mostly noisy at low speed and high cadence.

- can the SL be ridden on light gravel paths?
Absolutely. However, I did some mods to make it more gravel oriented and am riding the SL on pretty demanding trips that involve a lot of forest riding:
  • Removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver. The front fender tended to collect twigs and pebbles, sometimes blocking the front wheel.
  • Installed the full Redshift ShockStop suspension system (stem and seat-post). Stock Vado SL is a stiff e-bike. Redshift dramatically softened my rides.
  • Installed Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 tyres. These tyres are fast rolling and supple (the stock Nimbus are not that good).
  • Installed Innerbarends to mimic gravel bike "hood" grips.
- does the SL have a similar upright position geometry as the Vado?
Neither Vado nor Vado SL are really designed to be ridden in an upright riding position. They require more forward riding position (unlike a cruiser bike). I did everything I could on both Vado SL and Vado to assume even more forward position. My numerous aches related to upright riding position vanished. That is a personal choice though. Generally both e-bikes can be ridden in a pretty relaxed position, too.

1. The step through model is easier for me to ride while commuting into work. Is there any downside to this?
Basically no downside except one: It might be difficult to install the water-bottle-cage on the ST.

2. Anyone tried the IGH version? Seems more intuitive and smooth but would love to hear experiences
I have not tried the IGH myself but user reports are mixed, and range from love to hate :)

P.S. I ride both Vado SL and Vado 6.0 on my gravel cycling club group rides. My modified Vado SL is agile, smooth, and lightweight but it is missing some motor power. My Vado 6.0 is powerful but cannot handle the rough terrain very well; and is troublesome when it comes to carrying it over obstacles because of the heavy weight.

Last edited:
It is noisy. I do not mind myself but many users say the high-pitched whine of Vado SL is annoying. The latest Vado is not silent either but it is mostly noisy at low speed and high cadence.

Absolutely. However, I did some mods to make it more gravel oriented and am riding the SL on pretty demanding trips that involve a lot of forest riding:
  • Removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver. The front fender tended to collect twigs and pebbles, sometimes blocking the front wheel.
  • Installed the full Redshift ShockStop suspension system (stem and seat-post). Stock Vado SL is a stiff e-bike. Redshift dramatically softened my rides.
  • Installed Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 tyres. These tyres are fast rolling and supple (the stock Nimbus are not that good).

Neither Vado nor Vado SL are really designed to be ridden in an upright riding position. They require more forward riding position (unlike a cruiser bike). I did everything I could on both Vado SL and Vado to assume even more forward position. My numerous aches related to upright riding position vanished. That is a personal choice though. Generally both e-bikes can be ridden in a pretty relaxed position, too.

Basically no downside except one: It might be difficult to install the water-bottle-cage on the ST.

I have not tried the IGH myself but user reports are mixed, and range from love to hate :)

P.S. I ride both Vado SL and Vado 6.0 on my gravel cycling club group rides. My modified Vado SL is agile, smooth, and lightweight but it is missing some motor power. My Vado 6.0 is powerful but cannot handle the rough terrain very well; and is troublesome when it comes to carrying it over obstacles because of the heavy weight.
Thanks very much for this detailed response, I appreciate it!
Follow up Qn: do you know what the EQ in the Vado SL does different than the other SL bikes?

Also, what have users reported on the downside of IGH? I can’t seem to think of any

Thanks very much for this detailed response, I appreciate it!
Follow up Qn: do you know what the EQ in the Vado SL does different than the other SL bikes?
The EQ has fenders, rear rack, and the tail-light is located on the rear fender. With the non-EQ, the tail-light is located at the saddle.
Now, modifications are the easiest with the EQ. It is because the location of the tail-light there means the user can easily replace the stock seat-post with a suspension one. It is much harder with the non-EQ. The front fender in the EQ is not the best and I recommend removing it right away for off-road rides.
Also, what have users reported on the downside of IGH? I can’t seem to think of any
Some users believe that getting at high speed with the IGH requires too high a cadence. They struggle with setting the IGH via the Mission Control app and the Enviolo app (Mission Control rules here). At some IGH e-bikes the carbon drive belt is not tightened properly. Personally I think there is no issue with Vado IGH; the users are the issue :)

The EQ has fenders, rear rack, and the tail-light is located on the rear fender. With the non-EQ, the tail-light is located at the saddle.
Now, modifications are the easiest with the EQ. It is because the location of the tail-light there means the user can easily replace the stock seat-post with a suspension one. It is much harder with the non-EQ. The front fender in the EQ is not the best and I recommend removing it right away for off-road rides.

Some users believe that getting at high speed with the IGH requires too high a cadence. They struggle with setting the IGH via the Mission Control app and the Enviolo app (Mission Control rules here). At some IGH e-bikes the carbon drive belt is not tightened properly. Personally I think there is no issue with Vado IGH; the users are the issue :)
Amazing!! I have decided on the Vado SL 5.0 Step through EQ! Can’t wait for it to be back in stock! Thanks so much for your insights, and I’m sure I’ll bother this forum more as I receive the bike and have more questions :D

Amazing!! I have decided on the Vado SL 5.0 Step through EQ! Can’t wait for it to be back in stock! Thanks so much for your insights, and I’m sure I’ll bother this forum more as I receive the bike and have more questions :D
I am in the same boat as you and would be curious to know if you think you made the right decision once you get your SL. I've gone back and forth on this so many times, but getting to the point where I need to just make my decision.

Two other factors that really did not get discussed include the weight of the non-SL for loading on a bike rack or lifting on a storage rack in the garage. Seems my wife would not be able to do the latter and I could struggle as I get older with the lifting that weight onto an overhead rack.

The second thing is the inability to remove the battery form the SL for charging and, perhaps more importantly, storage over the winter. The SL would mean the battery would be exposed to cold winters in the Northeastern U.S.

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you and would be curious to know if you think you made the right decision once you get your SL. I've gone back and forth on this so many times, but getting to the point where I need to just make my decision.

Two other factors that really did not get disucssed include the weight of the non-SL for loading on a bike rack or lifting on a storage rack in the garage. Seems my wife would not be able to do the latter and I could struggle as I get older with the lifting that weight onto an overhead rack.

The second thing is the inability to remove the batter form the SL for charging and, perhaps more importantly, storage over the winter. The SL would mean the battery would be exposed to cold winters in the Northeastern U.S.

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated!
Both good points! The weight is the main reason I decided to go with the SL version - I think it’s a powerful enough motor and will also get me some exercise!
The storage is a real concern, but I plan to keep the bike indoors in my home, so hopefully this is mitigated.
I just ordered my bike today and very excited!!

I am in love with my powerful Vado 6.0, and like the removable battery but it comes at a cost.

1675722029932.png

See a scene from my gravel group ride. That guy actually carried my full-power Vado over a dilapidated footbridge, as I could not do it myself (here, he's carrying his own bike).

My Vado SL simply resides in my apartment. No, that e-bike cannot do everything. However, it is always ready to ride, in a reach of my hand. I ride it more often than the heavy Vado 6.0!

1675722277259.png

My Vado SL as of today: I'm doing grocery shopping with it, among others. (The big bag is a supermarket backpack).

I am in love with my powerful Vado 6.0, and like the removable battery but it comes at a cost.

View attachment 146496
See a scene from my gravel group ride. That guy actually carried my full-power Vado over a dilapidated footbridge, as I could not do it myself (here, he's carrying his own bike).

My Vado SL simply resides in my apartment. No, that e-bike cannot do everything. However, it is always ready to ride, in a reach of my hand. I ride it more often than the heavy Vado 6.0!

View attachment 146497
My Vado SL as of today: I'm doing grocery shopping with it, among others. (The big bag is a supermarket backpack).
Stefan - does the Vado SL do well in the snow?

Also - lovely pictures from the adventures!

Stefan - does the Vado SL do well in the snow?
Well, that's a tricky question. I personally cannot ride in a fresh or deep snow on any e-bike. My gravel cycling mates can do it, and the tyre size of the Vado SL falls into the "gravel bike" territory; so the problem is me here. Now: I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus studded tyres in size 35-622 on Vado SL during the harsh winter (the maximum width for the EQ is 38 mm). These tyres are excellent for riding on the ice and they do well on packed snow.

Also - lovely pictures from the adventures!
Thank you very much!

I have the Vado 5.0 SL ST. There is no issue with the water bottle on the bottom - provided you use a side entry cage. (and if you have a range extender, that position is unavailable.) You can add a second water bottle on the sloping top tube - BUT when I did I basically lost the step through part of the ST. Or you can put a bottle on the rack or in a bag on the rack if you need a second bottle. ;)

I have the Vado 5.0 SL ST. There is no issue with the water bottle on the bottom - provided you use a side entry cage. (and if you have a range extender, that position is unavailable.) You can add a second water bottle on the sloping top tube - BUT when I did I basically lost the step through part of the ST. Or you can put a bottle on the rack or in a bag on the rack if you need a second bottle. ;)
Thank you! How do you like your bike? Anything I should watch out for?

At some IGH e-bikes the carbon drive belt is not tightened properly. Personally I think there is no issue with Vado IGH; the users are the issue :)
This in itself is a tricky problem. What is tightened properly? I have now had multiple mechanics who do only enviolo bikes tell me the gates cdx belt tension guidance (and as a result specialized and others guidance) is too tight. And that is the cause of many of these issues. Let’s leave aside that the methods of belt tension measurement are apparently also wildly inaccurate.

It is short sighted to “blame the user” when the mechanics for these bikes 1) can’t fix the observed problems and 2) don’t even agree on the right maintenance or preventative strategies.

That doesn’t exonerate the user from being a problem, however, it does mean they can’t possibly be part of the solution when the “experts” can’t fix it or identify the cause of the problem.

The important take away here: if you do have problems with IGH models, you likely will not currently have access to the knowledge to fix or prevent those issues. Specialized starts throwing parts at it.

Once that statement changes and the problems of IGH are well understood (and also are shown to be avoidable not systemic) and serviceable, then IGH will be a superb option.

I would buy a pair of 5.0 IGH models instantly if I were as confident in knowledge of the IGH as I am in chain.

Put simply: IGH is a beta product with poor documentation. That is ok for some users. Maybe even fun. Just not everyone.

I have a Turbo Vado 4.0. It was the finest ebike I could find in Colombia. I am not interested in an e mtb, and the Turbo Vado seemed perfect.
but a a bicyclist moving over to ebikes, I was not aware of how much bigger and heavier the Turbo Vado would be. With its suspensión fork and 2.3” tires with fenders it is almost 6” longer than my regular bicycle and 40+ pounds heavier. If I cóuld do it again I would get the Turbo Vado SL. In fact, I will probably trade my Turbo Vado for a turbo Vado SL if and when the SL 5.0 becomes available in Colombia

Stefan, how did you get the ShockStop suspension stem on the Vado SL? My SL 4EQ stem has the integrated light, not keen on removing it. I did replace the seatpost with an a cheap Bontrager suspension post, just upgraded to the Cane Creek eeSilk.

Stefan, how did you get the ShockStop suspension stem on the Vado SL? My SL 4EQ stem has the integrated light, not keen on removing it. I did replace the seatpost with an a cheap Bontrager suspension post, just upgraded to the Cane Creek eeSilk.
Well, I was motivated to do it. The shortest path:
  • Buy the Redshift ShockStop stem
  • Buy Redshift Shock Stop Utility Mount, with the 31.8 mm shim if available. (If the latter unavailable, get yourself some rubber pieces)
  • Buy a good bike capable GoPro out-mount.
After installing and configuring the ShockStop stem, install the Utility Mount. Then, install the GoPro mount on the Utility Mount, possibly either with the brand shim or with a makeshift shim. Just install the Lezyne headlight on the GoPro mount.

1680638482305.png

I need to mention I didn't do that change in a single step! Originally, I just used the ShockStop Stem and the 31.8 GoPro mount installed at the left off the stem.

Back