Specialized turbo creo sl comp carbon evo puzzling problem

PAS

Region
USA
Perhaps someone can save my sanity. I recently bought a Specialized turbo creo sl comp carbon evo and have this reoccuring issue every time I take it out. Whenever I am in turbo riding anywhere from 18 to 24 mph on a basically level road, the bike will periodically grab. It feels like the bike is braking for a split second and then I hear a click in the motor. Sometimes the grabbing is very noticeable. I am usually spinning between 80-90 rpm's. When I compare this to coasting without pedaling, it is a completely different feeling. It is hard for me to believe that I am the only experiencing this issue. As a cyclist for the past 50 years, I do know the difference between when a bike coasts freely and when it feels like it is braking.

I have many happy miles on my Creo. Never had anything like that happen. Sounds like a warranty issue.

Perhaps someone can save my sanity. I recently bought a Specialized turbo creo sl comp carbon evo and have this reoccuring issue every time I take it out. Whenever I am in turbo riding anywhere from 18 to 24 mph on a basically level road, the bike will periodically grab. It feels like the bike is braking for a split second and then I hear a click in the motor. Sometimes the grabbing is very noticeable. I am usually spinning between 80-90 rpm's. When I compare this to coasting without pedaling, it is a completely different feeling. It is hard for me to believe that I am the only experiencing this issue. As a cyclist for the past 50 years, I do know the difference between when a bike coasts freely and when it feels like it is braking.
I have the Aluminum Creo. I, also, get that occasional grab. It appears to happen if there's a VERY brief hesitation in my pedal stroke. Kind of like "If you are not going to pedal, I'm not going to assist." I get it more on an uphill and yes, it is not coasting through that hesitation - it is a definite grab. It does not always happen and it is brief. I presume that the motor/sensor is not sure what you are doing in that brief instant and does not want to power you along if you intended to brake suddenly but is also ready to power forward. So the motor "gets in the way" ever so briefly?????

When you say the motor occasionally 'grabs' does that mean the motor shuts off for a very brief period of time (like a second)?

i’ve never felt anything remotely like that with my creo. definitely sounds like something to bring to your shop. nothing you could do to tweak something like that. you might mount your phone on your bars if you don’t and watch the power output in real time in mission control to see what happens - does the power output drop for that split second, or not? could be the clutch mechanism, could be the motor itself, could be the speed sensor causing the motor to think it’s >28 and cutting off. unlikely to be the rest of the drivetrain which is entirely mechanical of course.

I have the same bike as the OP. I have not experienced this in my roughly 800 miles of use. In all honesty tho I am rarely at that speed in turbo mode. I use sport to go fast (for me) and turbo just to get up a big hill.

I have the Aluminum Creo. I, also, get that occasional grab. It appears to happen if there's a VERY brief hesitation in my pedal stroke. Kind of like "If you are not going to pedal, I'm not going to assist." I get it more on an uphill and yes, it is not coasting through that hesitation - it is a definite grab. It does not always happen and it is brief. I presume that the motor/sensor is not sure what you are doing in that brief instant and does not want to power you along if you intended to brake suddenly but is also ready to power forward. So the motor "gets in the way" ever so briefly?????
Kahn:
Thanks for responding and saving my sanity. I hear you about the hesitation in the pedal stroke but then shouldn't the bike coast freely and not grab? When I stop pedaling going at the speeds mentioned in my original post, the bike coasts freely and doesn't grab.
i’ve never felt anything remotely like that with my creo. definitely sounds like something to bring to your shop. nothing you could do to tweak something like that. you might mount your phone on your bars if you don’t and watch the power output in real time in mission control to see what happens - does the power output drop for that split second, or not? could be the clutch mechanism, could be the motor itself, could be the speed sensor causing the motor to think it’s >28 and cutting off. unlikely to be the rest of the drivetrain which is entirely mechanical of course.

I would verify the firmware installed on the bike. I bought an EVO a couple days ago and it had the current firmware but I also bought a Creo SL Comp Carbon non-EVO at the same time and the shop had to update the firmware on it to bring it to the most current release. The fellow at the shop mentioned that the newer code made for smoother operation above 20 mph with these bikes.

Back