Specialized Turbo Como 3.0 battery - removal for summer months?

GaleL

Region
Canada
City
West Vancouver, BC
Because of this summer's severe heat waves here in Vancouver, BC, it's been too hot for me to ride my new e-bike. Should I have removed or should I remove the battery from my e-bike while I am not using it? (I hope to begin using it in the fall.)

I searched for an answer online but couldn't find one.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Because of this summer's sever heat waves here in Vancouver, BC, it's been too hot for me to ride my new e-bike. Should I have removed or should I remove the battery from my e-bike while I am not using it? (I hope to begin using it in the fall.)

Thank you!
I really don't think that is necessary. Many of us now have e-bikes with INTERNAL batteries so that removal is not even a real option. There are a variety of suggestions on how much charge or discharge they should be left if not used for a period of time. Maybe someone with more specific info will reply.

And we down here, Seattle, pretty much share your hot weather lately. And the last three days we had the smoke to go with it. Yech. Finally cleared this morning and I did 22 miles (35K) and home before 10am and before the heat. Actually, it was chilly when I started.

Because of this summer's sever heat waves here in Vancouver, BC, it's been too hot for me to ride my new e-bike. Should I have removed or should I remove the battery from my e-bike while I am not using it? (I hope to begin using it in the fall.)

Thank you!
For leaving outside or riding - probably not for my bike at least given my usage habits. Charging - yes, because ambient air temperatures don’t reflect physical temperatures. Check in the user manual and you should come upon a chart that goes into details like this one for my Vado 5 SL :

C767B405-179B-4F8E-98C9-C52C2EC698FD.jpeg

Who knows though given the weather lately. I’d check the battery with my hand - if you can’t comfortably touch it don’t use or charge it, or leave outside.

Also COLD can kill your battery! More easily than heat if you live in very cold climates.

Last edited:
I really don't think that is necessary. Many of us now have e-bikes with INTERNAL batteries so that removal is not even a real option. There are a variety of suggestions on how much charge or discharge they should be left if not used for a period of time. Maybe someone with more specific info will reply.

And we down here, Seattle, pretty much share your hot weather lately. And the last three days we had the smoke to go with it. Yech. Finally cleared this morning and I did 22 miles (35K) and home before 10am and before the heat. Actually, it was chilly when I started.
Thank you, Kahn.

For leaving outside or riding - probably not for my bike at least given my usage habits. Charging - yes, because ambient air temperatures don’t reflect physical temperatures. Check in the user manual and you should come upon a chart that goes into details like this one for my Vado 5 SL :

View attachment 96544
Who knows though given the weather lately. I’d check the battery with my hand - if you can’t comfortably touch it don’t use or charge it, or leave outside.

Also COLD can kill your battery! More easily than heat if you live in very cold climates.

Thank you, VoltMan99. I will do as you suggest. You have given me the inspiration to actually read the manual. Shame on me for not doing so!

Back