Specialized Tero 3.0 or convert my Specialized Carve 29'er?

DJrydes

Region
USA
I could use some advice - I’m in the market for an e-mountain bike that I can take on single track trails in North Texas (can be rocky, bumpy with roots) and something that I can ride around the neighborhood on paved roads.

If I were to buy a bike, my budget is around $3,500. Could be convinced to go a little higher if it’s worth it.

Or, I have a Specialize Carve 29’er hard tail that I’ve been riding since 2011. In good shape still. I could convert that with a Bafang 750w or similar kit and spend a lot less, but put a high end motor and controller on it

What would you do? Buy new on the low end of e-MTB bikes or build with high quality parts on an older bike?

On rough tracks when climbing rear wheel jump around at speed reducing your climbing speed. FS eMTB doesn't suffer from this problem.
On tight technical tracks torque sensing middrives eg bosch, brose give excellent control and power delivery compared to kit cadence sensing drives.

I'd suggest test riding both HT and FS MTB on your rough tracks to see how they compare.

A cheap kit you current bike would give you great low cost commuter if nothing else.

I think OP is interested in hardtail.
How do FS bikes ride on pavement? I’ve never ridden a FS, and given the price difference I was leaning towards a hard tail. But some people have said if you’re riding bumpy terrain then a FS is well worth the money.

How do FS bikes ride on pavement? I’ve never ridden a FS, and given the price difference I was leaning towards a hard tail. But some people have said if you’re riding bumpy terrain then a FS is well worth the money.
Nothing in it smooth surfaces. HT will still handle rough stuff but you will be riding at lot lower speed. Really depends how much riding on rough tracks you will be doing. Odd mile or two on long ride then HT but if its 5+ miles of rough track regularly maybe you should be looking at FS.

That was why I suggest trying both and feel difference. Only you can decide if its worth extra money and maintenance costs.

Back