Specialized Roll Comp Conversion vs. Himiway

mstgkillr

Region
USA
I already own a 2018 Specialized Roll Comp, which comes with a few upgrades (including hydraulic brakes) compared to the regular Roll or Roll Elite. However, since purchasing the Roll, I’ve gained a few pounds… going from ~300 to 390 lbs, so according to Specialized, I am over the 300 lb limit of the Roll. I’m not sure how much “fluff’ is engineering vs. attorneys, but I am still considering going with an e-bike conversion.

Any specific build recomendations? Should I go with twin batteries?

Also, how does good conversion compare to a Himiway Zebra or Rhino in terms of components, performance, etc? I know the Himiway is rated for 400 lbs, but are there components junk?

Any justification to convert my Roll or should I just go with Himiway Zebra or Rhino?

The real limitation with the Roll are the wheel builds. They will taco with that weight when hitting a bump. The crash could be devastating. I would say trade it for a compact cargo bike to convert with a mid-drive. The Roll is a great bike. Someone needs it. Cargo bikes are extra sturdy. Many people purchased non-electric cargo bikes when their kids were little. Then the kids got big, so the bikes are just gathering dust. Also get PickUp cargo tires that each hold 350 pounds without flats.

Attachments

• BodaXMe.JPG
    BodaXMe.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BodaXMf.JPG
    BodaXMf.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BodaXMg.JPG
    BodaXMg.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 6Mundo3.JPG
    6Mundo3.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 41
My Radrovers are rated to 275lbs max (around +/- 300lbs for me after pandemic). I'm around 310lbs-335lbs between summer or winter temps when I was work commuting back in 2016-2019 pre-pandemic on my Rover with work backpack (work cloths, water, lunch, electronics), Topeak rack bag with tool/spare parts, cold/wet/hot weather gear, aux lights, etc... I had a reduced range from the 11.4 Ah battery and needing extra pedal power from the extra weight (I was in really good cardio shape in no time).

Decided to retire the two Radrovers this fall with +4000 miles each on them. Upgraded to the Himiway Cobra Pro mid-drive because of the extra hp/tq, tq cadence mid-drive, full suspension, and 400lbs capacity. As far as I can tell the only differences between my Rover and Himiway are thicker spokes, almost 2X battery size, and upgraded brakes? The main thing I had to upgraded on the Radrover was the standard brakes to TRP Spyke brakes+Jagwire MTB cables when I started work commuting. It didn't take long before the Rover standard brakes would glaze over trying to stop from 18-22 mph and I had longer emergency stops over time. Back to stopping on a dime with the upgraded brakes.

Brakes/rotor size, max battery size for range, and tire spoke thickness would be the things to check on once you get +300lbs.

Also the number of spokes and wheel size. Smaller wheels are inherently stronger. 32 spokes is very common. The pictured wheel has 48 spokes of a large gauge and the rim is 26 inches. The axle is solid and 14mm thick with a double walled rim.
1703639519095.png

Back