Spare POWERTUBE for Delite 2020: switching that rubber cover?!!!

Just removed the Powertube 500 from my brand new 2020 Delite Rohloff for the first time.

Hoping to find it had a removable rubber cover so I could get an aftermarket spare Powertube 500 for longer rides. I went for the single 500 Delite because I like the simplicity of the frame and to give me weight saving options for different ride types.

But sadly the R&M rubber cover looks mighty well fixed (permanent?) to the Powertube.

Has anyone ever managed to remove that cover from a Powertube and switch it between batteries?

Presuming the part is identical on all 2020 Delite, Superdelite (+ Mountain variants), Charger 3 and Superchargers.

Thanks, in anticipation.
My dealer in uk thought that R&M were selling the rubber covers to snap on to a new battery but they had to be ordered.......its worth making enquiries. I did manage to remove the cover from a broken battery by prising the rails open then sliding off then it was easy to clip on to the new battery. I was V lucky and nothing was broken in the process!!

The Transport Cover is a dummy battery. I believe Mike is asking for the rubber cover that attaches to powertube directly. The part number is 200213, they retail for around $30USD, and in our experience they are not meant to be removable once they've been installed.

(edit: sorry for the massive images)

View attachment 71231View attachment 71232

Really really helpful post @JVBulman. Thanks so much for taking the time. The confirmation photos are great. Exactly the part required. Hope you’ve helped lots of other R&M fans too... those covers will fit an increasing large number of R&M models 👍

That is excellent information!
I have done several searches for that part number and can’t seem to find a retailer who sells it?
Do you happen to know someone who does?
Also, I’m not sure if the power tube 625 is horizontal or vertical? Do you know if the rubber cover can fit either?

thank you!

There are different versions for each, here's a comparison between the two.

It may be hard to find a retailer because it's considered an OEM part rather than an aftermarket accessory and thus doesn't show up on the B2B. That said, any R&M dealer should be able to special order one for you.

Last edited:
There are different versions for each, here's a comparison between the two.

It may be hard to find a retailer because it's considered an OEM part rather than an aftermarket accessory and thus doesn't show up on the B2B. That said, any R&M dealer should be able to special order one for you.
Hi @JVBulman , I have a 500w battery with spacer for the 625w housing in my R&M Roadster. I am looking at now getting a 625w battery and using the 500w battery in my Delite as a spare. As such it is pretty desirable to be able to change the cover over on my batteries. Looking at the problem it appears it may be possible to make a removal tool that slides the full length of the battery/cover and is dimensioned with a leading taper to just spread the retaining clip along its full length. From your knowledge of how the cover clips to the battery is this worth a try?? It would be a long thin strip that would slide along inside the moulding of the battery cover.
Cheers from down under. Stephen

Last edited:
I think it's definitely worth a try. Let us know how it goes.
I removed the extension piece and certainly the cover slides fairly easily within limits. (about 2-3 mm) It would appear the cover hits a stop. I suspect this stop may be the part of the moulding on the end plate of the battery ,ie so looking at the photo below the equivalent to the small section of moulding shown filling the slider slot directly above the B in BOSCH but on the opposite side of the battery where the cover plate is located. It may be an option to remove this end plate off the battery and then be able to slide the cover completely off. There are no connections to this end plate and apparently a substantial silicone seal so will remove at my own risk. Before doing so it would be helpful to see an image of a cover plate without battery. If anybody can help out with an image of just the battery cover plate much appreciated. I guess once I get the battery without the cover plate that may also clarify what part of the battery stops it from sliding off. Certainly looking at a photo of just the battery the two end plates would seem to be the only possible stops to limit sliding.
Resized_20220224_084110.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have the smooth Roadster cover specifically, but I'd imagine the attachment is the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 188
I don't have the smooth Roadster cover specifically, but I'd imagine the attachment is the same.
Thanks. Yes I think the attachment will be the same but I expect I may have to remove the ribs showing on my cover in the section where the extension piece was located when fitting to the 625 battery. I will hold off changing out the covers until my 625 battery arrives and will report back then. Cheers

So I have now installed the 625w battery in the Roadster and as suggested above for the later model cover it was a simple task to remove the end plate from the battery and the cover slides off easily. There was no need to remove the silicone seal in the battery.

If you look at the photo below the cutout in the rib about 50mm back from the end was the locating stop for the 500w battery. I just reinstalled this cover without modification on the new battery by clipping as previously discussed. No need to remove the end plate from the new battery when refitting the cover.

1645675628538.png

The cover on the older 500W battery on the Delite was a different design and pretty tightly clipped on and not inclined to slide. It was possible to push down on the cover on one extremity and just lift and release the clip locally with a small screwdriver. Once I had a small section of the clip released I just inserted a plastic scraper into the released portion and pushed it along the full length to free up the clip.
Roughly as shown here but the cover has been fully released in this photo.

Might be helpful to others but proceed carefully at your own risk.

So I now have a new 625 battery in the Roadster and two x 500w batteries for the Delite. Not sure if I will get an additional cover for the 2nd 500w battery depending on the cost. I may just swap the cover from one battery to another. I suspect it will be come easier to remove with time and if worse comes to worst I can always tape it to the battery.

Cheers from down under. Stephen

1645676219885.png

I got a second Bosch 500 wH battery from my dealer. He also got the rubber battery cover from R&M. I was surprised by the cost as it was only £9.50 GBP, which I thought was excellent value.

I had the rails on my top tube battery crack after a few months. Propel offered me a replacement under warranty and so I had to swap the covers. As pointed out above, the removal of the screws and end plate is necessary. I then took a 8 cm piece of soft trim wood, about 25mm wide and about 5mm thick and used it to lightly tap the cover off by sliding it off the rails. You don't want to try and pry the flanges off, and in this case the flanges had separated from the groove on the battery and cracked for a good 80mm which made it a bit harder to slide off the broken battery cover. Then I took some Teflon spray lube and applied it to the groove on the battery and gently aligned, then tapped the new cover on to the battery with small hammer tapping the wood trim piece help move cover and the flanges of the cover into the battery groove. Working slowly it arrived at the necessary position and the work was done, new cover in place. Apparently heavy off road use or transport of the bike on a carrier with the batteries in place can cause this cracking and breakage. Kind of weird as neither activity had every been done on this bike. I think it has to do with a factory installation error and just got worse over time.

I got a second Bosch 500 wH battery from my dealer. He also got the rubber battery cover from R&M. I was surprised by the cost as it was only £9.50 GBP, which I thought was excellent value.
Yes I have since found out the cover is a reasonable priced part so better to have one fitted to each battery.
Stay Safe Stephen

I had the rails on my top tube battery crack after a few months. Propel offered me a replacement under warranty and so I had to swap the covers. As pointed out above, the removal of the screws and end plate is necessary. I then took a 8 cm piece of soft trim wood, about 25mm wide and about 5mm thick and used it to lightly tap the cover off by sliding it off the rails. You don't want to try and pry the flanges off, and in this case the flanges had separated from the groove on the battery and cracked for a good 80mm which made it a bit harder to slide off the broken battery cover. Then I took some Teflon spray lube and applied it to the groove on the battery and gently aligned, then tapped the new cover on to the battery with small hammer tapping the wood trim piece help move cover and the flanges of the cover into the battery groove. Working slowly it arrived at the necessary position and the work was done, new cover in place. Apparently heavy off road use or transport of the bike on a carrier with the batteries in place can cause this cracking and breakage. Kind of weird as neither activity had every been done on this bike. I think it has to do with a factory installation error and just got worse over time.
Impressed with your skills on how to remove an obstinate cover like this !

You’re clearly a far more practical man than me!

Back