Sourcing items for retrofitting

GuruUno

Most times, we can rely upon our Specialized LBS to source needed parts, but then sometimes they have to dig deep to get the exact info requested and hopefully in the end they either say, "I can or can't get it", which is the case 9 out of 10 times. (cannot get)
Between Covid, the economy, container ships being stuck, the verbiage of the "we reserve the right to use what we can get and change stuff at any time", it is at times a challenge.
What I'd like to accomplish is get a new 2022 Vado 5.0 and stick the Como 5.0 (NON-SL) handlebars and stem (inclusive of all required fittings, clamps, etc., etc.).
Hey, it works for me. And if it can be done, it's done. If it can't, then it can't. But I want to try.
I love my wife's new Como 5.0, but I like the "feel" of the Vado 5.0 a tad better (for me), and I don't want to go the stem riser route and all that baloney, just make it simply like the Como.
Anyone ever attempt it or try it?
I'VE FOUND THE PART NUMBERS, ALL I CAN DO IS REACH OUT TO THE LBS AND SEE IF THE PARTS CAN BE SOURCED AND THEN BUY A VADO 5.0.
Here are the numbers I got from the Como owners manual. Hopefully they are correct.

S212500025
HDS COMPLETE, INTEGRATED, 1-1/8" UPPER BRG (45X45), 1.5" LOWER BRG (36X45), 20MM TALL CONE TOP COVER, W/ CROWN RACE FOR 1.5" TAPERED STEERER (HS-S-03)
Headset for all Como models

S210800013
BAR MY22 COMO HANDLEBAR, 680MM
All Models of Como
(Different than Como SL handlebar - externally routed cables)

I do a quick check of a couple of web sites to see if they list the parts I am trying to find to get an indication of the difficulty of ordering a specific part. As you know some parts are not really available as spares but are shown only for completeness of the parts list diagram. In some cases the part number may only be an interim sub-assembly used only for the factory build process. I'm in an area where once I have a part number it's easy to visit one of the larger shops where the parts guy will open his Specialzed dealer parts link and take the time to check on the part. Unfortunately they can't let us poke around the database ourselves.

This is a Euro site but seems to have a comprehensive list of spare parts:

Amain Cycling has a decent list of common spares:

Wow, I thought I was the only person that did stuff like that. The Como is really sitting upright! Are you sure you want to sit that far upright? If the answer is still yes, then really what's the easiest way? Buy new handlebars for the Vado with a large rise. Then you can dial in your position. If you try to do that with a stem riser, I don't think it'll look right. But that's just me!

Mike...

Most times, we can rely upon our Specialized LBS to source needed parts, but then sometimes they have to dig deep to get the exact info requested and hopefully in the end they either say, "I can or can't get it", which is the case 9 out of 10 times. (cannot get)
Between Covid, the economy, container ships being stuck, the verbiage of the "we reserve the right to use what we can get and change stuff at any time", it is at times a challenge.
What I'd like to accomplish is get a new 2022 Vado 5.0 and stick the Como 5.0 (NON-SL) handlebars and stem (inclusive of all required fittings, clamps, etc., etc.).
Hey, it works for me. And if it can be done, it's done. If it can't, then it can't. But I want to try.
I love my wife's new Como 5.0, but I like the "feel" of the Vado 5.0 a tad better (for me), and I don't want to go the stem riser route and all that baloney, just make it simply like the Como.
Anyone ever attempt it or try it?
I'VE FOUND THE PART NUMBERS, ALL I CAN DO IS REACH OUT TO THE LBS AND SEE IF THE PARTS CAN BE SOURCED AND THEN BUY A VADO 5.0.
Here are the numbers I got from the Como owners manual. Hopefully they are correct.

S212500025
HDS COMPLETE, INTEGRATED, 1-1/8" UPPER BRG (45X45), 1.5" LOWER BRG (36X45), 20MM TALL CONE TOP COVER, W/ CROWN RACE FOR 1.5" TAPERED STEERER (HS-S-03)
Headset for all Como models

S210800013
BAR MY22 COMO HANDLEBAR, 680MM
All Models of Como
(Different than Como SL handlebar - externally routed cables)

Skimming through the Service Parts list, you might also need the following:

S220800005BAR MY21 COMO SL, HANDLEBAR CLAMP ASSEMBLY, W/ BOLTSClamp & bolts to secure handlebar to fork steerer (shared part with Como SL)
S219900014MSC MY21 COMO SL TOP CAP, DISPLAY MOUNT, HANDLEBAR COVER KITClick to see image
Baseplate to attach TCDw mount
S219900057MSC TCD-W 2, STEALTH STEM MOUNTContains adapter to mount TCD-w 2 display to the baseplate - includes the bolt & nut

Wow, I thought I was the only person that did stuff like that. The Como is really sitting upright! Are you sure you want to sit that far upright? If the answer is still yes, then really what's the easiest way? Buy new handlebars for the Vado with a large rise. Then you can dial in your position. If you try to do that with a stem riser, I don't think it'll look right. But that's just me!

Mike...
I had a 2021 Vado 5.0, and I used the stem riser, and the "old" Como style handlebars, but.....I did not like the look. The comfort was what I expected, but it just seems like a clusterfuxx of parts to achieve what is so elegantly done by the new Como 5.0. Hence my new desire. Photo for reference (what I had and do not want to duplicate that)
Vado 5 stem and Kinekt.jpg

S220800005BAR MY21 COMO SL, HANDLEBAR CLAMP ASSEMBLY, W/ BOLTSClamp & bolts to secure handlebar to fork steerer (shared part with Como SL)
S219900014MSC MY21 COMO SL TOP CAP, DISPLAY MOUNT, HANDLEBAR COVER KITClick to see image
S219900057MSC TCD-W 2, STEALTH STEM MOUNTContains adapter to mount TCD-w 2 display to the baseplate - includes the bolt & nut
Problem with those references are the Como SL is a different handlebar than the Como 5.0. The SL routes wires through the bars, not what I want.

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 8.57.38 AM.png

Problem with those references are the Como SL is a different handlebar than the Como 5.0. The SL routes wires through the bars, not what I want.

First item is supposed to be the handlebar clamp assembly, not the handlebar. It is stated to be a shared part with the SL.

Parts are from the Como support page not the Como SL.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted on your findings. I am thinking a more upright position may be a bit more comfy on my Vado 5.0 IGH. Very interested to see if this swap is readily available and how it would perform on the Vado.

I called Rider Care (35 min hold) today to inquire as to the availability of the required/necessary parts to retrofit the Vado (with Como 5 stuff) and was told that the parts are only available for warranty services not available to be independently purchased. Additionally, I was"warned" (of sorts) that the modification is not looked upon with enthusiasm (such as you might void any warranty). So be it.
I'd still love to see it in real life as well as sample the ride (Como handlebars on a Vado). Maybe if I hit the Lotto :)

I was"warned" (of sorts) that the modification is not looked upon with enthusiasm (such as you might void any warranty). So be it.

Bull.

In the US, warranties are not monolithic things existing in binary states of void vs valid.

Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if you make an unauthorized modification, then yes a manufacturer can deny warranty claims for problems caused by that modification. Unrelated stuff would remain covered however.

As for sourcing the parts - have you spoken to any LBS's about ordering the parts directly?

Well, I picked up a new 2022 Vado 5.0 today as the "project" bike.
Sure would like to 'easily' get the handlebars, and w/associated parts.
I'll play in the next few weeks transplanting my Como 5.0 parts to see if it is worth pursuing in the long run.

Guru,
I actually lost the track regarding the number of e-bikes (and the models) your family currently owns :)
Only hoping you'd eventually create the "Turbo of your dreams!" 👍

:(

Must be a spare part if BikeINN are selling it, surely !!

Could get an EU/UK person to forward it if you need and can't get any other way (also need other bits for cap and display mount I expect)

Back