Sondors step?

Brewerpaul

Anyone have one of these? It looks like a great choice for a first ebike. How is it for a short rider? I'd expect it's good.
Anything you DON'T like

Hello. I'm new here and also interested in this bike for use in an rv. Does this old thread mean no one has one of these?

Thanks Rich. I'm not a facebook user though. Maybe I'll find my old login and have a look.

I did buy one back in August and love it. I'm riding mainly on good, paved roads with some pretty steep hills. My car is a Mazda 3 and I've loaded the folded bike several times. An RV shouldn't be a problem.

Brewerpaul Thanks for replying. I wonder about the weight and size - can you pedal a 60+ pound bike w/o motor - like after a dead battery? I haven't ridden in years and have only ridden 2 ebikes and was surprized at the weight.

Brewerpaul Thanks for replying. I wonder about the weight and size - can you pedal a 60+ pound bike w/o motor - like after a dead battery? I haven't ridden in years and have only ridden 2 ebikes and was surprized at the weight.
Anyone can ride a 60+ pound bike. It's how long and up what kind of grade that makes the difference. I was about 6 miles from my van when the motor quit on my Sondors fat bike. That was a single speed fat bike, the original Indiegogo $499 offer. To double the issue, is was 90 degrees F. I rode back the 4 miles into a little town, but knew I had some grade changes coming up and was not in the mood for walking that two miles. I was 66 when this happened. So called the wife and asked her to drive out and bring the van to me. Sipping an energy drink and riding in the A/C in the van was a relief.

I feel for you - I am old enough to doubt my ability to carry the bike(s) for wife and self back up to a trailhead or campervan even a few miles. There do seem to be some lighter ebikes being advertised ... good, light, and cheap don't usually go together. Glad to hear that you are happy with the step.

It's roughly $1100 with shipping. Court's review covers many of the cons. I would also say the 350W motor is a con and 375wh battery is a huge con. I'd want at least 500W nominal for a rear hub motor and 672+wh battery. When you start adding rack, fenders, etc. it isn't such a bargain. I would only buy it if folding is important.

For the money I think the Ride1Up 700 step thru is hard to beat. $1499 shipped with hydraulic brakes, fenders, rack, moto-x tires, 500W motor and 672wh battery.

Hi Tom. Don't know if folding will actually matter - my campervan is very short on interior space, so most likely the bikes will have to go outside on a hitch rack. But I am still measuring and considering.

Any other owners of the Sondors Smart Step who can give us more opinions about the bike? How was the assembly? Thanks!

Any other owners of the Sondors Smart Step who can give us more opinions about the bike? How was the assembly? Thanks!
Assembly is very easy,especially if you've done any bike work at all. I believe that EVERY bike rider,electric or not should learn how to do some of the real basics like adjusting brakes and derailleurs and fixing flats. No matter how great the bike is, things DO go out of adjustment and it's important to be able to make those minor tweaks while you're on the road (well, pulled off on the shoulder). Carry a basic compact tool set with you-- someday you'll be glad you did.
The written instructions that come with the bike aren't extensive, but the Sondors website has good videos on assembly and adjustment of brakes and gearing.

The last time I assembled a bike, I was a teenager.

Nowadays, my eyes, knees, back etc will make that process much harder. So I'm just trying to get a feel if it's just putting on the front wheel and handlebars or more involved like installing the fork, etc.

How has the bike been?

Back