Some CCX vs Old CC Observations

youth

20181203_185614_resized.jpg
This medium CCX does feel a tad smaller then the medium 2016 CC in one ride so far. Nice to have main powered light again. If only the rear were too since freezing temps kill their runtimes too.

20181203_132142_resized.jpg
Box had some ripped & one corner torn open 1/4, but the bike seems fine. Except for this had to strong arm the rack a bit so it was more centered & not causing the fender to rub. Paint on it easily chips off.

20181203_151228_resized.jpg
Since they're keeping the CCS line & CCX will be the premium version. To reflect this wished they would've up the components up a level & gone with Alivio as was on the old CC. Also to use shadow derailleur instead of this old design since now you have to take the nut all the way off to remove the wheel.

20181203_173520_resized.jpg

The downtube is wider (around 84mm vs 62mm CC) to accomodate an extra column of batteries & has a channel with a rubber cover to hide the cables.
The seat tube is also larger in diameter & comes with a shim for the seatpost but even then is still too big for the seatpost on the old CC.
The chainstays are no longer boxy tubes but more rounded.
I wonder if it uses a standard bottom bracket since the BB is also larger/longer making BB cups recessed.
The brakes feel a bit mushier so far then the CC, but it's nice that they don't stick out past the fork leg like on the old CC.
I like the ergo grips, but will likely switch to barends for extra hand positions.
Neither water bottle mounts have enough room on the medium frame with the 19.2 battery.\
Not sure about the button on the battery which is facing up & recessed so it could collect water. The charge port also just has a swinging cover without any sort of seal, but maybe this is ok like waterproof smartphones with exposed USB/headphone ports.
The charger gets quite hot & now has a ground plug.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics, Youth.

FWIW, my 17.4 Ah battery has the recessed button also. Someone had said that they put some black tape over it to make it more water repellent (maybe @john peck, not sure.) I thought I'd do that too because it makes sense and some Gorilla tape would blend in pretty well. Never got around to it, and haven't had a problem with it. I haven't been caught in a really torrential downpour though, just some moderate rain.

Last edited:
How about the extra power? That’s what we want to hear about :) Are you seeing it peak at 1250-1300W on the display?

I think Juiced tried the 10-sp upgraded derailleur/shifter option on the Cross Current S and there probably weren’t enough takers to justify the logistics that were involved on the production line.

View attachment 27853
...Nice to have main powered light again. If only the rear were too...

View attachment 27850
...had to strong arm the rack a bit so it was more centered & not causing the fender to rub. Paint on it easily chips off.
Great comparative assessment, Y! I too, spent some time strong arming the rack on my CCX. Must be a squaring-up issue with the manufacturers welding jig. I hope Tora and the Juiced assembly crew are conveying this issue to the manufacturing plant.

Initially, it was necessary to remove the rear rack and realign the the rack support arms. Then,
lengthening the support arms on the rack by re-positioning the adjusting bolts of those support arms. Raising the rack to it's highest position increased the tire-fender clearance to a sufficient level.
100_3486.JPG100_3487.JPG100_3488.JPG100_3493.JPG

Last edited:
How about the extra power? That’s what we want to hear about :) Are you seeing it peak at 1250-1300W on the display?

I think Juiced tried the 10-sp upgraded derailleur/shifter option on the Cross Current S and there probably weren’t enough takers to justify the logistics that were involved on the production line.

Honestly it doesn't feel drastically more powerful to me, but there is a boost. Feels like I can spin out the high gear.much easier. 1st commute today & I'd say 2-4mph faster with similar effort & 7mph headwind. Maybe tim eto move to that MAC motor.

The display does reach those numbers when in race mode.

The find the shifting with the Altus 9 speed to be fine so far with no adjustment out of the box.

Gonna have to swap the Suntour fork out as soon as possible, it just feels clunky compared to the Rock Shox air fork.

Did the rear light come upside down? I have a CCS and the same light.

The power button is on the bottom.

Assuming the rack is custom they should've designed it so the light sticks out more. I can't reach the nut for the fender to adjust it the way it is. I think this has been mentioned already before & I'll probably rework it at some point.

I
Did the rear light come upside down? I have a CCS and the same light.
I flipped my rear light a few months ago. It is far easier to reach the power button with it on the bottom. Changing batteries is about the same, kinda a pain but not bad once you find a tool that reaches to pry/ pop out the light.

Thanks for the info and pics, Youth.

FWIW, my 17.4 Ah battery has the recessed button also. Someone had said that they put some black tape over it to make it more water repellent (maybe @john peck, not sure.) I thought I'd do that too because it makes sense and some Gorilla tape would blend in pretty well. Never got around to it, and haven't had a problem with it. I haven't been caught in a really torrential downpour though, just some moderate rain.

Yeah, it was me. Also, I take the battery off to get it on my bike rack, so, since itś so wet here, I put duct tape over the connection when travelling.
Ya just need to remember that before putting the battery back on to avoid panic. :eek: Oh no, I kilt my bike!

Back