So you guys (and gals) might be right.

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
So I rode my Swing King Elite swing bike today. Its been forever and it was very pleasant to ride. Obviously it's a 26" wheeled beach cruiser and the bigger wheel ride was a eye opener. Now I'm not so sure I want a 20" for a commuter anymore. I soared over sidewalk cracks that would jar me on the 20" bikes. Now I just need to test ride a good torque sensor ebike to see if that will impress me as well.

I love my Xpedition still and will always have it on hand for farting around on with the wife on the back. Well, not fart with her on the back. You know what I mean. But I think I'd enjoy my commute a bit more with an appropriate sized ebike.

What things have you rode that changed your perception of your ride wants and needs?

My perception changes every time I borrow, rent, or test ride a bike. Every one is different, and has it's own unique "feel". Some features I like and some I don't, but that is my own personal opinion. That's why it's so important to try out a variety of bikes before buying.

So I rode my Swing King Elite swing bike today. Its been forever and it was very pleasant to ride. Obviously it's a 26" wheeled beach cruiser and the bigger wheel ride was a eye opener. Now I'm not so sure I want a 20" for a commuter anymore. I soared over sidewalk cracks that would jar me on the 20" bikes. Now I just need to test ride a good torque sensor ebike to see if that will impress me as well.

I love my Xpedition still and will always have it on hand for farting around on with the wife on the back. Well, not fart with her on the back. You know what I mean. But I think I'd enjoy my commute a bit more with an appropriate sized ebike.

What things have you rode that changed your perception of your ride wants and needs?
So, I’m 6’1” and my wife and I have the same city upright e-bike. Mine is size large, hers is size small. Due to some rearranging at home it’s easier for me to take her bike. I’ve been using it for 3-4 weeks now.

The kicker is, it actually fits me better. Reach is much more comfortable. The seat post (I moved a carbon post over from another bike) has a lot of extension which really makes for a comfortable ride. I’ve been looking for downsides to this size and not finding any.

So in addition to trying a variety of bikes, try out different sizes too. Height is just one metric of many, and it can’t completely determine your frame size.

My wants and needs for ebike will not be same as yours. You will have to figure out yourself what your ideal ebike is.
Otherwise members will recommend what they think is good fit for you.
My suggestion is pick the ebike you want.
You got experience riding ebikes. No need to ask what is good for you. Whatever ebike you end up with is the bike you wanted. Not someone else suggested.

I've owned a bit of everything and discovered that for local runs with my wife, 20" cargo works best. It sucks trying to go to work on it though. I think I spent to much time on 20" wheels and find them not ideal for my 14 mile commute.

I'm kinda kicking around the idea of a Euphree Stellar Falcon for strictly commuting. Cadence OR torque sensor. So far it ticks all the boxes for commuting. I was foolishly trying to just have a one and done ebike that could haul my wife on weekends and do commuting during the work week, but that no longer seems like a wise idea.

I've been warning posters on here since 2017 they do not want a 20" x 2" tire bike. Not unless they live in perfect pavement (west) Germany. And 3" up tires adict the riderto the battery. With those draggy tires power fails you call a tow truck. I've ridden my bike 25 miles unpowered after rain took out the throttle. I made sure to buy a 26" wheel cargo bike to solve the flying over the handlebars problem of MTB's and cruisers built after 1990. "Fast steering" ****s.
I saw 2 kids flying on 3" wheeled scooters Sunday. But when I was 12 I felt no pain. Bent their knees, probably, and did not sit down.
Posters keep telling me I need a mid-drive to cope with hills. ???? 70 hills on my weekly commute to summer house each way. No rental bikes here but rear hub drives, so I will never know. I have front geared hub. 12000 miles of ignorance of what I am missing.
One thing that surprised me about a $2000 Yuba bike, I do not have to adjust the derailleur and brakes 4 or 6 times a year. Steel cables do not stretch. I was riding discount store bikes before because I am small and they fit me. But the alleged steel and aluminum in those bikes is scrap. I had to scrap a Pacific Quantum because the plastic crank arms wore out in 2.5 years and would not come off. But being thrown over the handlebars 6 times in 10 years really teed me off about fast steering.

Last edited:
Back