So much info but maybe I narrowed my choices?!?!

That70sGuy

Hello everyone!

Just started reading this past week and watching a butt-load of video reviews. My original plan was to get an inexpensive ebike/scooter thing to make my short 8km round trip between work and home. But scouring ads and websites left me with the feeling that the majority of escooters are not inexpensive but are cheap and lack support. So I started thinking a more traditional style ebike would be a better fit overall.

My background; I'm just shy of 50 and haven't really rode a bike in 25+ years. Approx 6ft (most of height in torso with 32" inseam), 250lbs and a heart attack 1 year ago but doing well. My current commute is only 4km each way and mostly flat paved with one moderate short hill on a curve, of the 2 main routes only the one has a designated bike lane about 50% of the way. As I get healthier and a better rider I might expand the distance and purpose but doubt any off-roading but gravel and country roads possible.

I am especially torn between the two main styles of drives I see most often on here; the rear hub and the mid-drive.

The idea of a rear hub and just zipping along with little or no pedaling is really appealing when I think of the humid summer days here in SouthWestern Ontario. Plus being the more affordable option generally and lower maintenance I gather.

The mid-drive from what I've read is more actual bike but will likely require a bit more care in shifting and regular maintenance of the drive system.

So with all that I have narrowed my picks down.

Top choices are the Haibike Urban Plus (at the top of budget) and the VoltBike Yukon 750 Limited. Both 2018 models have integrated lights, a rear rack and hydraulic brakes I'm looking for. The riding position looks to be fairly upright and comfortable.

Other possibilities include the RadRover but I'd have to buy fenders and the rack (and the rack/seat position looks awkward if a shorter person uses the bike plus not in stock right now) and the Teo S Limited.

As an inexperienced ebike user, is there any obvious things I should avoid or watch for in my decision making?

I love the look of the Haibike and feel it has better build quality overall, and the ease of servicing tires and such is appealing but the lack of suspension and using mid-drive will be a learning curve plus closest dealer (Amego) I think is 2hrs away. The only thing I can think of on the VoltBike I really don't like is the huge and crazy logos everywhere on it.

I think my brain exploded everything into my first post......

Another bike that would fit at the $1699 price point is the Juiced CrossCurrent S. It comes fully equipped with lights, rear rack, etc. It also is a rear hub motor with a throttle, so it checks that box too. Battery is bigger than the Urban plus, but smaller than the Rad. Juiced also makes a fat tire version called the RipCurrent S that might be interesting to you. For a short commute like yours, it'd provide a smoother ride.

Hello everyone!

Just started reading this past week and watching a butt-load of video reviews. My original plan was to get an inexpensive ebike/scooter thing to make my short 8km round trip between work and home. But scouring ads and websites left me with the feeling that the majority of escooters are not inexpensive but are cheap and lack support. So I started thinking a more traditional style ebike would be a better fit overall.

My background; I'm just shy of 50 and haven't really rode a bike in 25+ years. Approx 6ft (most of height in torso with 32" inseam), 250lbs and a heart attack 1 year ago but doing well. My current commute is only 4km each way and mostly flat paved with one moderate short hill on a curve, of the 2 main routes only the one has a designated bike lane about 50% of the way. As I get healthier and a better rider I might expand the distance and purpose but doubt any off-roading but gravel and country roads possible.

I am especially torn between the two main styles of drives I see most often on here; the rear hub and the mid-drive.

The idea of a rear hub and just zipping along with little or no pedaling is really appealing when I think of the humid summer days here in SouthWestern Ontario. Plus being the more affordable option generally and lower maintenance I gather.

The mid-drive from what I've read is more actual bike but will likely require a bit more care in shifting and regular maintenance of the drive system.

So with all that I have narrowed my picks down.

Top choices are the Haibike Urban Plus (at the top of budget) and the VoltBike Yukon 750 Limited. Both 2018 models have integrated lights, a rear rack and hydraulic brakes I'm looking for. The riding position looks to be fairly upright and comfortable.

Other possibilities include the RadRover but I'd have to buy fenders and the rack (and the rack/seat position looks awkward if a shorter person uses the bike plus not in stock right now) and the Teo S Limited.

As an inexperienced ebike user, is there any obvious things I should avoid or watch for in my decision making?

I love the look of the Haibike and feel it has better build quality overall, and the ease of servicing tires and such is appealing but the lack of suspension and using mid-drive will be a learning curve plus closest dealer (Amego) I think is 2hrs away. The only thing I can think of on the VoltBike I really don't like is the huge and crazy logos everywhere on it.

I think my brain exploded everything into my first post......
For such a short commute, most ebikes will get the job done. The Haibike looks ideal. You can always add a BodyFloat or Thudbuster seat post suspension. While you're shopping with a hope to buy at a local bike shop, keep in mind Canada has a 500 watt power limit, so you're unlikely to see many bikes on the showroom floor that are more powerful unless they are designated and sold for off-road use.

I'd bet after commuting for awhile you'll be doing longer recreational rides before long. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes I am now aware of the restrictions we have here thanks to Court's videos and this is also why I am trying to find something local or sold online from within Canada.

In my city I have only found dealers that carry Pedego , Motorino, Trek and maybe one other but all out of my budget. One will service what you have and the other will only service what they sell.

Thanks ......

In my city I have only found dealers that carry Pedego , Motorino, Trek and maybe one other but all out of my budget. One will service what you have and the other will only service what they sell.

@That70sGuy
Welcome to the forums.

Back in 2011 i got Mototrino XPr scooter, very well made machine that i enjoyed riding till too many morons tried to push me off the road by passing mere inches from me and the fact that i can not use it on bike paths made me park it .

Last spring i got the itch to ride again, started looking around in local shops and due to some very ignorant sales staff and some rude owners i meat, i decided to buy my Téo fat bike on line. Since local shops are not interested in servicing my bikes that i purchased somewhere else i do not care to support their shops and get all my parts and accessories on line. Anyway i love riding my new bike around town or on weekend rides to Kelso, somehow when drivers see a bicycle most of them obey the 1 meter rule when passing you.
Hope to see you riding this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20170805_154215.jpg
    IMG_20170805_154215.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:
Hmm, another to throw in the mix... Any info on the Haibike Hardnine Street 4.5? Has the Yamaha drive and suspension forks but I would need a rack.

I thinking of just getting the voltbike Yukon 750 limited and be done with the endless research. With my closest Haibike dealer over 2hrs away its not like I can drop in anytime I have an issue or question.

Is there an iGo dealer near you? Is THIS too much money, or not your style? You seemed to mention the possibility of a shorter person using the bike, which would make the eXplore ideal in that regard.

Off-brand scooters are actually cheap and more popular than e-bikes, in Canadian cities.

Majority of hub motors have both throttle and PAS.

Cheaper mid-drives have both throttle and PAS. Expensive mid-drives tend to have PAS only. Haibike Urban Plus doesn't have a throttle, as I recall.

Like JR said, for a short urban commute most any ebike will do. Good gravel roads are OK with tires just slightly beefier than commuter, - think 2.1-2.3". Saddle suspension is a desirable addition, especially for somebody who didn't ride for long time.

Last edited:
Nova, $$wise its good but not ready to admit I'm that old yet, even though a step through might be appealing in 5 years :) and again nearest dealer is in the center of the universe; aka Greater Toronto Area (GTA) <--- is there a sarcasm font?

Alex, the store manager (via email) at AmegoEV, recommended the Haibike Hardnine Street 4.5 over the Urban Plus but did suggest to me to try any bike before committing. Main reason was my size and comfort as it has suspension forks and tires are 54mm (2.1")

I had hoped to visit Amego this Saturday as it is just blocks from where the Blue Jays play, and slap one on the old credit card but as fate would have it my cc# got compromised and it'll be 2 weeks for a new card to arrive. I might still visit to check everything out cuz there is squat around here in my budget.

The Hardnine is very close to my bike (even the color!); I have the 2016 Trekking RC. Like all the Haibikes, no throttle. It is also not a speed pedelec. For your short commute you would not miss it...it's not like you would save a huge chunk of time. But I can easily ride right at the bike's limit, and wish it would support more than 20 mph. My guess is you would miss it as well. Of course an aftermarket tuning dongle would lift the restriction for roughly $150.

I notice they have a nice Deal of the Week on the Stromer ST1 Elite Sport.

Last edited:
Definitely try them, with your size.
And, while you're at it, give a try to Pedego hubs as well. Your application doesn't really warrant a mid-drive, it boils down to what you like better.

So over the past little while I managed to get a ride on a VoltBike Yukon 750 Classic (2017) and today tried a Haibike Urban Plus and a Hardnine 4.0 Trekking at AmegoEV. They had one hardnine 4.5 Street but it was sold and the guy picked it up while we were there; he was an UberEats rider. Plus they sold a UP in grey while were there also! I wanted to try the Surface 604 Rook but it was not available to test, but a very nice looking bike.

Between the 4.0 Trekking and the UP I really preferred the UP for fit and comfort and either one over the VoltBike. I felt that even though the throttle was a cool option, it was really too much juice and unnatural feeling. The mid-drives each felt smooth and just like riding a bike but easier.

Virginia and her staff at Amego were extremely accommodating and answered all my questions. They were very busy, no doubt word is getting around about their great bikes and service.

Ride wise, does anyone think there is a big difference between the 4.0 Trekking and the 4.5 Street?
The info I got was it was basically the tire size and component variances, if I understood everything correctly.

Back