So I made the plunge, bought a couple of ST1's

Thanks, saw that on the seat post, was thinking the clamp would be bigger?

What do you think of getting a 53 tooth chainring for my Platinum? I have to get the cadence way up there to get to the upper 20's (mph), thinking of getting a freewheel with a 10 tooth cog in it too, I tend to run in "power" mode for my commute and want to keep my average speed up. I ran some calculators and the 53/10 combo should do it.

Am assuming the crank arms are 170's?

Dude, you have plenty of gearing already on your Platinum (27 speeds?)..I think the large ChainRing is 52T. What you really should strive for is a cadence of 70-80 rpm, then the Stromer Pedal assist will be of greatest use.

I run my 27 speed Elite at 22 mph with the middle chainring and the smallest cog. At 24 mph I'm running the large chain ring and the next to smallest cog. I really can't run it at the smallest cog unless I'm going down hill.. Too slow a cadence.

There are a lot of articles about pedaling at a higher cadence, where you rely more on your cardiovascular system than burning up your legs... Long memeory vs short memory twitching and all that.. Plus the Stromer seems to respond better at higher cadence.

I bought this cadence and speedo bluetooth module and it has really improved my fitness..http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-PanoBi...=UTF8&qid=1406075009&sr=8-1&keywords=panobike

Check it out.

Dude, you have plenty of gearing already on your Platinum (27 speeds?)..I think the large ChainRing is 52T. What you really should strive for is a cadence of 70-80 rpm, then the Stromer Pedal assist will be of greatest use.

I run my 27 speed Elite at 22 mph with the middle chainring and the smallest cog. At 24 mph I'm running the large chain ring and the next to smallest cog. I really can't run it at the smallest cog unless I'm going down hill.. Too slow a cadence.

There are a lot of articles about pedaling at a higher cadence, where you rely more on your cardiovascular system than burning up your legs... Long memeory vs short memory twitching and all that.. Plus the Stromer seems to respond better at higher cadence.

I bought this cadence and speedo bluetooth module and it has really improved my fitness..http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-PanoBi...=UTF8&qid=1406075009&sr=8-1&keywords=panobike

Check it out.

The gear ratio is actually lower on the Platinum, with a 50/11 versus a 52/11 for the Elite, a couple of teeth on a chainring make a pretty significant difference at a given cadence.

The gear ratio is actually lower on the Platinum, with a 50/11 versus a 52/11 for the Elite, a couple of teeth on a chainring make a pretty significant difference at a given cadence.

Oh... 50x11 is pretty aggressive... At 75 rpm you would be over 25 mph.. Pretty good, and I think your Platinum motor is wound to get you there..

Cadence Gear 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 Cadence Gear
50x11 24.92 26.70 28.48 30.26 32.04 33.82 35.60 50x11

Back