Slight play in rear wheel

Limeybastard

Region
USA
City
Florida Unfortunately.
I haven't rode my 700 series yet, since I am still familiarizing myself with general checkup procedures. I noticed yesterday that the back wheel has a ever so slight lateral side to side play in it. Is this anything to be concerned about?

If the axle is tight in it's mounts, it might indicate that the rear wheel bearings may be set on the loose side.

Yes, It should not have any noticeable side to side. Flex is not the same as a shift in position, BTW. If it does not align, the hub, gears, brake rotor and chain could all get premature wear or damage.

I don't get any play but when I tilt my 700 on the side and throttle up, there is a lot of out of balance vibration.

Tires can be improperly mounted and have wobble. Rims can be out of true too. Check the variations at the tire surface and at the rim to determine which is the issue. Rarely are tires out of balance like cars because there is not enough RPMs and weight difference.

Just an update I checked the torque on of the rear wheel and they seem fine. I’ll keep on eye on it during routine service intervals.

Back