Show us your rear bike carrier

Allroads

Show us your bike carrier
There are so many various models. Which one is best for a car, suv or a truck ?

One size does not fit all! I have a Hollywood rack meant for two ebikes and a 2" receiver. There are so many variables involved in choosing a rack for your needs....
1623382718173.png

I see this type of rack in almost every trailhead parking lot. I haven't heard of many problems with the weight pressing on the rear glass but I should report that my brother broke the rear window on his 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe using a rack like this. We had both our 40# conventional Trek MTB's loaded on an older Thule rack rated for 3 bikes at 35# each. The bikes were in the positions closest to the vehicle. We were driving on a fairly rough dirt road when the rear window shattered.

Admittedly, this is a rare incident which could have been caused by the window design or a defect in the glass itself. None the less, neither of us will ever use this type of rack again, especially with our somewhat heavier e-bikes.

Again, this is likely a rare incident so take this post FWIW.

Saris bike rack had to modify slightly notice round foam pipe insulation had to do this to protect the bottom bracket area which is
wider on an electric bike. Also used bungee cords as well as wheel straps to hold bike in place. The wheel straps are part of the Saris rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0774 2.JPG
    IMG_0774 2.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0775 2.JPG
    IMG_0775 2.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0776 2.JPG
    IMG_0776 2.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0773 2.JPG
    IMG_0773 2.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0777 2.JPG
    IMG_0777 2.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 186
I see this type of rack in almost every trailhead parking lot. I haven't heard of many problems with the weight pressing on the rear glass but I should report that my brother broke the rear window on his 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe using a rack like this. We had both our 40# conventional Trek MTB's loaded on an older Thule rack rated for 3 bikes at 35# each. The bikes were in the positions closest to the vehicle. We were driving on a fairly rough dirt road when the rear window shattered.

Admittedly, this is a rare incident which could have been caused by the window design or a defect in the glass itself. None the less, neither of us will ever use this type of rack again, especially with our somewhat heavier e-bikes.

Again, this is likely a rare incident so take this post FWIW.
Yeah I totally get that.
When the bike is mounted I'd guess that there is less pressure on the glass. But... there has to be variable pressure on the glass as you bounce heavily over a seriously rough road.
So far it's been great for a couple of years, and I'll keep the hive updated if there are any issues at all.

Even the hitches are backordered. I have to wait a month to get a Stealth hitch then another 8 weeks to get the 1up rack...

CEAA531B-92B8-442F-9DEF-43C941611251.jpeg

Thule apex xt. This photo was to remind me how to fit them all back together after this ride! (There's a Vado SL hiding up front.)
It fits all five family bikes on the back of my small Buick, four shown above. The platform racks look amazing, and way easier than the finessing that is required to use this fella, however I've yet to see one for five bikes.
The carrier fits my 1.25" receiver and 2" on our other vehicle.
I bought and installed a receiver on this car just for this purpose.

Last edited:
Depends on the total weight of your bikes. For more than 100 lbs of total weight it is best to buy a rack that attaches to a hitch receiver. For very heavy bikes that are going to entail a load of 120 lbs or more the choices are 1up, Swagman, Yakima, Thule, and Hollywood. If you want to use a ramp the bike racks from Thule and Yakima are the best out of the box racks at this time. I modified a motorcycle ramp for use with my 1up rack as the 4.25" wide tires on our e-bikes are to wide for the 1up ramp that has an internal channel width of only 3.1 inches.

If the bike tires are wider than 3 inches ones options greatly diminish and although one can modify some racks for the wider tires it is not without some significant downsides and added costs. Also don't ignore the options for adding a license plate holder and turn and brake lights to the rack.

My Haibike Full FatSix in my 06 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab pickup; 5 foot bed. 2 straps running around the saddle rails with one strap attached to the rear lower bed mounting point and the other strap attached to the right hand side forward and lowest bed mounting point. Catty cornered as such and with the straps applying tension that compresses the shocks, the bike isn't really going anywhere.

Total cost about 7 or 8 dollars for the straps.

100_4105.JPG

Back