Should We Eliminate the Time Change?

Should we eliminate the time change from EST to DST?

• NO, Keep Both EST to DST

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Yes, Stay On DST Year Round

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Yes, Stay On EST Year Round

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
I never met a farmer who liked DST, my Uncle always said" the Day is already too long sometimes"( small farmer)
I have never understood that farmer objection. The animals and crops don't know or care what time it is. Why wouldn't the farmer simply time his day according to the needs of his farm? Okay, I realize sometimes the farmer has to visit the feed store, and doesn't want to arrive too late, but why else? Anyhow, my wife doesn't like me to bike to my old-peoples' social hour (always at a local brew pub, yay!) during dark afternoons. DLT will be great for my bike riding when it comes in a few weeks.

Atolls are both of those things. The geobiological dynamic involved is absolutely amazing.

Atolls start out as coral reefs around the above-water summits of huge seafloor volcanos — often in open ocean with otherwise little sea life, as in the tropical Central Pacific. During the active volcanic phase and long after, seawater circulating through the porous volcanic rock picks up heat and mineral nutrients that feed the growing reef and ultimately all the marine life it attracts and depends on. The volcano becomes a bustling oasis in an ocean desert.

Meanwhile, the growing volcano slowly subsides under its own weight, and the well-fed fringing coral reef — a synbiosis between coral polyps and photosynthetic algae — grows upward toward the sunlight the algae require.

Once the volcanic activity ceases, the above-water summit eventually erodes/subsides away. But the subsidence, hydrothermal circulation, and upward reef growth continue for many thousands to millions of years. Eventual result: A coral atoll with the volcanic mountain at its base now completely out of sight from the air.

Zoom in on the many Central Pacific island chains (all volcanic) with Google Earth, and you'll see all phases of this dynamic. The Society Islands are a good place to start. The transition from Tahiti (young, tall dormant volcanic mountaintop, young reef) westward to older Moorea (eroding inactive mountain, well-developed fringing reef and lagoon) and finally to much older Bora Bora (little subaerial mountain left, atoll in the making) is textbook.
Charles Darwin was the one who figured this out, and wrote about it. And of course he was right, as he was about many things.

What I learned of yesterday was Iceland was on the Zulu time. Funny to think the border of the GMT zone was bent to fit Iceland into it :)

My friends say Iceland is in Europe. I say it isn't. But the UK isn't in Europe either, it is what I have always said since Brexit (sorry @Chargeride. I had a drink, too) :D

@Rome: If I started working at 12:05 a,m. (00:05) and stopped at 6:00 a.m. (06:00), Central European Time CET, what was the time at your place then?

I have never understood that farmer objection. The animals and crops don't know or care what time it is. Why wouldn't the farmer simply time his day according to the needs of his farm? Okay, I realize sometimes the farmer has to visit the feed store, and doesn't want to arrive too late, but why else? Anyhow, my wife doesn't like me to bike to my old-peoples' social hour (always at a local brew pub, yay!) during dark afternoons. DLT will be great for my bike riding when it comes in a few weeks.

Do you guys have penalty rates for employed staff who work at unsociable hours? A dairy herd knows exactly what time it gets milked at, they don't care if the clocks are wrong.

the day is already long enough in the summer,hard physical labor makes a day seem endless,get some calluses and get up with the birds,life is so soft these days

I don't work now, so it's not a big problem for me, but I hated clock changes with a passion.

If only for the mental gymnastics of trying to work out if it back or forwards that gives you an extra hour in bed.

eliminate the stupid time change,its baloney,just an example of cretin control.'''/
I don't work now, so it's not a big problem for me, but I hated clock changes with a passion.

If only for the mental gymnastics of trying to work out if it back or forwards that gives you an extra hour in bed.
My foggy brain has trouble working it out sometimes,still have trouble with left and right, maybe a few more crashes and wacks on the head will solve it:cool:

So, there are most states that will observe Daylight Savings Time all year round, and some that'll remain on Standard Time (besides Arizona and Hawaii)...

Personally think that'll cause some confusion.

Now I got this info from this article; article's outdated, but it might come into form. I can't know for sure. That's all I'll be saying about this.

I think we need a third time change. Just kidding. I really don’t care which is permanent, just as long as it stops changing. Though, I do like daylight. So maybe the one with more sun would be preferred.

We found it easiest to look at cell phone in the morning and change clocks that don't match, to match.

Also have mostly "auto-change" clocks.

20 years ago, I was in Alaska in June and thought to visit the local golf course after 10PM to see if I could rent some clubs. It was closed and people were sleeping!

Except for the Navajo reservation in AZ which does observe DST.

I find Arizona's no DST policy to be more confusing than not in my travels around the southwest. I often fly into Phoenix and drive to Paige AZ. In the summer months, you actually pass through 5 time changes on the trip as you pass through portions of the Navajo reservation! Paige, which is surrounded by the Navajo Nation, doesn't observe DST. It's also very close to the Utah border where DST is observed. Driving around the Paige area, I'm never really sure what time it is.

Adopting a standard, whether it's ST or DST, would eliminate all this confusion.
" Adopting a standard, whether it's ST or DST, would eliminate all this confusion."

This is so true. I talk to so many people who make a Such big deal out of DST. Hard to believe but some actually believe it gives us an extra hour of sunlight. They must be joking.
How about China, My understanding is the entire country is on one time zone. It is hard to imagine if the time in New York and Seattle were the same. Now that would be an issue hard to live with.

I think that we should cancel time zones as well.

One earth, one clock.

Just sleep when it's dark out or when you feel tired. 😂

I think we should do away with time altogether. Whose idea was it, anyway??

Sure, everything would happen all at once. But no more waiting, no more deadlines, no work hours, no alarm clocks.
;^}

I think we should do away with time altogether. Whose idea was it, anyway??

My understanding is that it was the church that invented clocks so that the people would pray at the right time, 😇🙏 and it was the railroads that forced the time zones because trains kept crashing into each other because high noon was at a different time at every stop.

We've all got clocks now so we don't need time zones, we would just be working and sleeping at different times depending on where we are.

When the sun is at it's highest point, it would be the middle of the day regardless of what time it was.
You just get used to your local timing, kinda like how Australia has Christmas in the middle of summer.

Sure, everything would happen all at once. But no more waiting, no more deadlines, no work hours, no alarm clocks.
;^}

I think that it would be kinda cool if the entire world celebrated New Years at the exact same moment. ⌚ 🎉

Back