Should I change the fork on the Radrover?

walawn

Hey guys. I'm thinking of changing the cheap front suspension fork on my Radrover. I'm considering this one below:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I liked the same brand on my old ebike (Prodeco Phantom X3). Here is a review of the fork I want below:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/review-rockshox-bluto-fat-bike-suspension-fork/

Let me know what you guys think. I know the fork is a third of the retail price of the bike, but I've already spent hundreds upgrading the bike anyway. It's only money lol! I saw the Radrover as a great platform for upgrading from the start anyway....

I think that would be an awesome upgrade. I would be interested in that as well. Keep me posted on what you decide.

Last edited:
Upgrading my fork will definitely be a later investment, but something that's in the back of my mind. I know that stock front fork isn't anything to write home about..

Honestly...The radrover fork is garbage. I replaced it with a solid steel fork and the geometry and ride were so much better.

I'm actually getting ready to sell my radrover. I just put the old fork back on and it feels borderline unsafe to ride.

I'm going to put a cheaper aluminum fork on it to sell that I also had (from bikes direct), it is ten times nicer to ride and much more nimble because of the 5...yes 5 pounds of weight savings. I'll give the suspension fork to the buyer in the sale and tell them exactly what I think of it.

For most uses, fat bikes don't need a suspension fork, the tires already make for a plenty nice ride already.

Hey guys. I'm thinking of changing the cheap front suspension fork on my Radrover. I'm considering this one below:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I liked the same brand on my old ebike (Prodeco Phantom X3). Here is a review of the fork I want below:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/review-rockshox-bluto-fat-bike-suspension-fork/

Let me know what you guys think. I know the fork is a third of the retail price of the bike, but I've already spent hundreds upgrading the bike anyway. It's only money lol! I saw the Radrover as a great platform for upgrading from the start anyway....
wont fir RR does not have a tapered neck and its offset is too wide

Are you serious? You'd spend $800.00 to buy a front fork that provides marginal improvement to your ride? I guess you have more disposable income than I have, because my fork works fine... If I was to spend $800.00 on my ride I'd buy a 3KW motor and controller, now THAT would make a differance...

Honestly...The radrover fork is garbage. I replaced it with a solid steel fork and the geometry and ride were so much better.

I'm actually getting ready to sell my radrover. I just put the old fork back on and it feels borderline unsafe to ride.

I'm going to put a cheaper aluminum fork on it to sell that I also had (from bikes direct), it is ten times nicer to ride and much more nimble because of the 5...yes 5 pounds of weight savings. I'll give the suspension fork to the buyer in the sale and tell them exactly what I think of it.

For most uses, fat bikes don't need a suspension fork, the tires already make for a plenty nice ride already.

@pxpaulx Which solid steel fork or aluminum did you go with? I may consider that option instead.

If you have the newer radrover with a tapered head tube (i have the original rd that had a straight steer tube), check out the bikes direct fat bike page for an aluminum option for a hundred bucks. Might need to confirm the drop out width with rr and or bikes direct before buying if you decide to fyi!

So I managed to blow the seals and bend my RadRover suspension fork today. I wasn't very happy with the fork to begin with, but now I need a new one. I've never put an aftermarket fork on a bike before and I could really use some guidance on what to get. My biggest worry is that I will get something that is not compatible with the bike/frame. Any help would be awesome.

Seems kind of pointless to use such a high end fork. The rad rover would be a really overweight singletrack bike, so to have the kind of terrain following air suspension fork is kind of pointless. You aren't going to be carving up the trails or riding to the limits with a rad rover.

For me, the top gun suspension fork (http://www.topgun.com.tw/product.php?area=141104155424) is fine for normal riding on the street shoulder or on light trails. It doesn't contour with the trails like a high end fork, but does take up the harsh impacts of the broken up pavement and ruts in trails. I run my tires at 20psi on pavement, and the forks do their job fairly well.

I'm having fork issues as well. Long story. My LBS installed a rigid fork for me but now can't seem to find a brake adapter to work.

I really want to change my deraillur to a shimano deore deraillur does anyone know if this is possible will a bike shop do it??? i have the radrover.

I too would like to get rid of the useless 5lb fork that I keep in the locked position. What steel fork works? Walawn, can you be more specific on the issues you ran into and what eventually worked?
I've not taken Rover apart yet, but looking at stuff available on fleabay, I see one like this missing the steer tube? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and one that looks more appropriate? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I too would like to get rid of the useless 5lb fork that I keep in the locked position. What steel fork works? Walawn, can you be more specific on the issues you ran into and what eventually worked?
I've not taken Rover apart yet, but looking at stuff available on fleabay, I see one like this missing the steer tube? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and one that looks more appropriate? (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I’ve been thinking about converting my fat bike fork to a Rock Shox Bluto as well, but there are a few additional costs that you’ll have to account for with an upgrade like this. I’ve only seen four legitimate fat bike suspension forks. There’s the Bluto, RST, Wren, and Lauf carbon. If I’m not mistaken all of them have 15mm thru axles and most have a tapered steerer tube. This will require a new front wheel for thru axle compatibility and a lower headset conversion to accept the 1.5 inch steerer tube.

You could find a 2nd hand Bluto for $350-400, a conversion headset for $45, and new front wheel for $200. After you’re done it’ll be like $600 plus labor if you have a LBS help out.

IMO, it’s worth it if you ride daily or do a ton of miles. Sure, the cost is a huge percent of the original purchase price of the bike, but your butt, back, hands, and wrists will thank you.

I’ve been thinking about converting my fat bike fork to a Rock Shox Bluto as well, but there are a few additional costs that you’ll have to account for with an upgrade like this. I’ve only seen four legitimate fat bike suspension forks. There’s the Bluto, RST, Wren, and Lauf carbon. If I’m not mistaken all of them have 15mm thru axles and most have a tapered steerer tube. This will require a new front wheel for thru axle compatibility and a lower headset conversion to accept the 1.5 inch steerer tube.

You could find a 2nd hand Bluto for $350-400, a conversion headset for $45, and new front wheel for $200. After you’re done it’ll be like $600 plus labor if you have a LBS help out.

IMO, it’s worth it if you ride daily or do a ton of miles. Sure, the cost is a huge percent of the original purchase price of the bike, but your butt, back, hands, and wrists will thank you.
Yea, the suspension forks on most fat ebikes - Suntour, Top Gun, Mozo are all Garbage just like the standard Kenda Fat Tires. I heard the $200 Luna Lander (https://lunacycle.com/luna-lander-fat-suspension-fork/) is decent but I haven't had experience with it. I have RS Bluto paired with Maxxis Mammoths and it Rocks!

Back