Should I buy a Gazelle?

Deb888

My local bike shop has an older model of the Gazelle Arroyo (floor model) for a really good price. The bike has nearly all the features I’ve been looking for - step though, fenders, lights, mid drive. My only concern is the wheel size. The wheels are only 1.4 inches. As a not so experienced rider, would I be better off getting thicker wheels for better stability? In reviews, I often hear Court comment on thicker (2 inch) tires as being a pro. When he reviews the Gazelle bike, he doesn’t list the thinner tires S a con.... Does it matter?

if you're not going off road,gravel,dirt you should be fine. just make sure you get a full warranty.

I bought a 2018 Gazelle Arroyo floor model earlier this year and really like it. I think what attracted me to the bike was the riding position, and the fact that you can adjust it as you ride due to the adjustable stem. Sometimes I lower it for a more agressive position, but usually I ride with it raised. Court also gave it excellent reviews on electricbikereview.com, and had it as his "best pick" for a city bike for quite a while. One thing he mentioned is that it was made in the Netherlands (a country that knows bicycles well) and how impressed he was with the factory.

The tires (which I run at 60psi) work well for me. I used to have a road bike that I hated taking on gravel roads as it would be quite a jarring experience. The Gazelle is much better.

What does "better stability" feel like? Will you wobble less? No. Will it have better traction on wet? Only the tread pattern and rubber compound will determine that. I guess you would have to say what characteristics you want.

What does "better stability" feel like? Will you wobble less? No. Will it have better traction on wet? Only the tread pattern and rubber compound will determine that. I guess you would have to say what characteristics you want.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Basically by better stability I mean that I will be less likely to slip/fall. I am not a very experienced bike rider. I will be riding on a trail, which is paved by some parts may have some gravel.

I have a 2017 Gazelle Arroyo that I bought in 2018 (floor model) at a sharply discounted price. I have ridden it almost 1000 miles now and it still works perfectly. I love it. In fact there are some things I like better about the 2017 model than the changes they made on the 2018 and 2019 models. As long as you are getting a full warranty, I think you should be OK.

if you're not going off road,gravel,dirt you should be fine. just make sure you get a full warranty.
Yes, I checked and it does come with a full warranty
I have a 2017 Gazelle Arroyo that I bought in 2018 (floor model) at a sharply discounted price. I have ridden it almost 1000 miles now and it still works perfectly. I love it. In fact there are some things I like better about the 2017 model than the changes they made on the 2018 and 2019 models. As long as you are getting a full warranty, I think you should be OK.
[/QUOTE
That’s great to hear. This is a 2017 model for $1,999.

That's a great price for a "new" 2017 Arroyo. The list price in 2017 was $3499. Gazelle lowered the price on the 2018 models and again in 2019. The 2017 Arroyo had the Intuvia display (instead of the Purion), the clear plastic pannier guards, the Bosch Performance Line motor and the front light integrated into the fender (which I like but some people don't). My Arroyo rides like a dream, and I can get about 70 miles per charge (in Eco mode) with the 500 battery that came with it.

Were you a perfectly fine bike rider in your youth? If so, you will be fine in a few days of riding now. You really do never forget how. Ask for an extended test ride. Take it out for a couple hours. You'll see.

Back