Shopping for E Bike

Gary R Peacock

I just started shopping for an e-bike. Test drove the 2018 Trek Verve +. I really liked it but could not find any reviews. Anyone out there tried it yet? I think it is brand new.

AFAIK , this model has not been officially released yet ; it's not on Trek.com .
It uses Bosch's new entry level Active drive , which I read is light , quiet , and pedals unpowered like a regular bicycle .
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us-en/products/active-line/?setLanguage=3
At max speed of 20mph and max torque of 40Nm , I think it's meant as a neighborhood/city cruiser , bike path , recreational type of bike ; in other words , an eBike version of the push bike Verve .
I think it retails for US$2300 or 0.24 Bitcoin . :) .
If it fits and is comfortable , you can't go wrong with Trek and Bosch .

What did you like about it ?
What are you looking for in an ebike ?
Where are you located ?

I just started shopping for an e-bike. Test drove the 2018 Trek Verve +. I really liked it but could not find any reviews. Anyone out there tried it yet? I think it is brand new.
I liked the way it shifted and the smooth transition when assist kicked it. I tried it out here in Florida where I am on vacation but would be using in and around the Adirondack Mountains in Northern NY where it is quite hilly. Many of my rides there would be 40-50 miles but would usually be using the ECO assist level because I still like a good workout. I also like on top of a 2 mile hill so it would be nice to have some battery left at the end of a long ride. Also I plan to do some touring with a 30-40 pound load. I own two Treks now: the 520 touring bike on which I have taken several 600 mike trips. I love it! I also have a Trek carbon 5000 (not 100% sure of the model). Love that one too. I am 65 and plan to continue riding them but am wiped out after long (40+ mile) rides so I think the combo of both bikes would be helpful. Also looking at the Giant E+ Road bike but that lists for $4000. Hope that helps you suggest the best option for me. I welcome all input!

This is the General Discussion forum .
If you post in the Help Choosing an eBike forum , I think you'll get more replies .

I liked the way it shifted and the smooth transition when assist kicked it. I tried it out here in Florida where I am on vacation but would be using in and around the Adirondack Mountains in Northern NY where it is quite hilly. Many of my rides there would be 40-50 miles but would usually be using the ECO assist level because I still like a good workout. I also like on top of a 2 mile hill so it would be nice to have some battery left at the end of a long ride. Also I plan to do some touring with a 30-40 pound load. I own two Treks now: the 520 touring bike on which I have taken several 600 mike trips. I love it! I also have a Trek carbon 5000 (not 100% sure of the model). Love that one too. I am 65 and plan to continue riding them but am wiped out after long (40+ mile) rides so I think the combo of both bikes would be helpful. Also looking at the Giant E+ Road bike but that lists for $4000. Hope that helps you suggest the best option for me. I welcome all input!

Hello Gary, First I admire that you've taken several 600 mile trips on your Trek 520. That is so cool....As for a touring e-bike, based on what you've written and your future needs/goals I
think the Trek may be a little understated. Will the Verve 20mph max be a 'problem'. That's a call you'll have to make. I have nothing to base this on, but gut reaction to what you've done in the past and what little ( very little ) I know of the Verve. I agree with 'e-boys' opinion that that Trek Verve seems like a great around town crusier, rail trail recreational bike and that may be just what you're looking and need.

I have a Trek XM700+. It is a go anywhere, any road, runs like the wind, a hill killer of a bike. I absolutely love it. Trek did a fantastic job. The Bosch power system, seamless
and the disk brakes are silky smooth with plenty stopping power. Because it was designed as a commuter, touring with tons of 'stuff' I'm guessing should be no problem.
Because the bike was designed in Europe ( I think Trek bought the company that designed and built the original) the sizing is a little odd. Larger then what is typical for the
US Market....Enough about the XM700+

My two cents ...Buying a bike is and should be a very personal choice. For me the XM700+ is the one. The Trek Verve may be yours. I knew next to nothing about e-bikes,
no shopping, no reading, no anything, never mind having ever ridden an e-bike. I took a test ride at my LBS Trek dealer, all of 15 minutes and said this bike is for me and
I've never looked back. With all of your cycling background I think if you can do a test ride or two you'll know. As e-boy said you can't go wrong with Trek and Bosch.
Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

John from CT

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...es/verve/verve/p/1348000-2018/?colorCode=grey

1348000_2018_A_1_Verve_plus

1348001_2018_B_1_Verve_Plus_Low_Step

... don't think this is Trek's answer to anything .
seems to be an underpowered eBike version of the regular low step Verve .
But the low step Verve + does look similar to the low step Specialized Turbo Vado .
And yes , Specialized is a cleaner more integrated design .

1324601_2017_A_2_Verve_3_Womens

Last edited:
Seems like Trek's answer to Turbo Levo como...
But, I like the specialized's design better. Bigger tires on this would be nice.

e-boy , I think you nailed it when you wrote......

"At max speed of 20mph and max torque of 40Nm , I think it's meant as a neighborhood/city cruiser ,
bike path , recreational type of bike ; in other words , an eBike version of the push bike Verve . I think it retails for US$2300 or 0.24 Bitcoin . :) . "

I agree. I don't think Trek had anything at this price point with a Bosch Drive System, perhaps this is their way of being a little more aggressive in the US market place.

John from CT

I just wanted to chime in, I asked which Bike advice on the forum and for all sorts of gibberish advice telling me I had to spend thousands of dollars on an to get anything decent to ride around town as a commuter. I've come to find out that total rubbish. I bought a used 2017 Magnum MI5 with 200 miles on it for $625. Original MSRP on the bike is $1,700. I've ridden this bike around rides great does everything I needed to do. I recently ran across a guy who has a 2017 Ancheer that is basically the exact same specs as my bike MSRP under $800.

If you're not doing some heavy-duty off-road racing these name brand bikes are total waste of money.

My bike the Juiced bike all made at the same Factory in the same city in China as the Ancheer.

I hear all the bikes knobs talk about who's going to put your bike together or where you going to get a replacement battery half these outfits can't get parts from the quote unquote manufacturers as they all seem to be waiting for the shipment to come in the container from China.

Then I hear about the warranty my bike has 200 miles on it over the course of a year not a single problem I took it in for a tune-up batteries is in fine shape.

Then I looked at the battery and it's made by a battery supplier who you can buy the battery from on Alibaba.

Seems like all the guys on this form like to hang out in there locally-owned bike shop to shoot the stuff.

I would have been pissed had I paid full price for the bike I bought knowing I could have bought direct from China for half the cost.

Don't fall for all the bull malarkey on the site save yourself a ton of money and buy it online.

I hear all the bikes knobs
What's a bike knob?

Then I hear about the warranty my bike has 200 miles on it over the course of a year not a single problem
I'd hope anything would hold up riding 200 miles a year. But a lot of folks ride that in a week. That surely would make a difference don't you think?

Beware of the prices on Alibaba. Be sure to check the shipping costs, they are notorious for extremely high shipping.

I bought an 15 AH 48 v battery which I built a custom mount for on the front fork. It was 61 v when I started, at 60 miles where the controller/motor failed, it was 48 v. So that much AH should get you up the hill. With 40-50 lb load sometimes, I don't see putting the battery on the back or the middle. With 40 lb supplies + 25 lb basket + 160 lb me, my back tire hits the rim above 4 mph on bumps at 55 psi anyway - 1.9"x26".
Battery was from sun-ebike.com on ebay. Connectors are Dorman .157" bullet crimp, male+female for polairty. Good for 30 amps. Battery up front makes the bike look like a rhinoceros, but the uglier the less likely I'll find the chain cut & bike gone after shopping or a concert. All the screws and elastic stop nuts on the mount are an inhibitor to theft, too, compared to a bottle mount or hanger bag battery. Take 6 screws to get it off, and only I know which ones of the 20.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in, I asked which Bike advice on the forum and for all sorts of gibberish advice telling me I had to spend thousands of dollars on an to get anything decent to ride around town as a commuter. I've come to find out that total rubbish. I bought a used 2017 Magnum MI5 with 200 miles on it for $625. Original MSRP on the bike is $1,700. I've ridden this bike around rides great does everything I needed to do. I recently ran across a guy who has a 2017 Ancheer that is basically the exact same specs as my bike MSRP under $800.

If you're not doing some heavy-duty off-road racing these name brand bikes are total waste of money.

My bike the Juiced bike all made at the same Factory in the same city in China as the Ancheer.

I hear all the bikes knobs talk about who's going to put your bike together or where you going to get a replacement battery half these outfits can't get parts from the quote unquote manufacturers as they all seem to be waiting for the shipment to come in the container from China.

Then I hear about the warranty my bike has 200 miles on it over the course of a year not a single problem I took it in for a tune-up batteries is in fine shape.

Then I looked at the battery and it's made by a battery supplier who you can buy the battery from on Alibaba.

Seems like all the guys on this form like to hang out in there locally-owned bike shop to shoot the stuff.

I would have been pissed had I paid full price for the bike I bought knowing I could have bought direct from China for half the cost.

Don't fall for all the bull malarkey on the site save yourself a ton of money and buy it online.

Fred-Do not listen to anyone-go with your own instincts and research and find out what bike best suits your needs and spend within your budget. There are plenty of great ebikes out there for under $1000 dollars that will work just fine as long as you do not abuse it and beat on it. I purchased a brand new ebike for $450.00 (entry level) but it works fantastic as a second commuter ebike. Its all about your personal needs and preferences IMHO! Ride safe!

Hello Fred,
I believe your initial post was a request for info from the members of this forum on the selection of an e-bike. To that end members respectfully
responded with thoughts, opinions and their personal e-bike experiences.

After reading your reply it became very apparent that your position differs significantly from the members that took the to time to
pass along what they've experienced and where they stand....I completely agree with your right to have an 'opposing view' from what was presented.

While I support that right to reject the opinions presented, I completely and strongly oppose that no member ever should
be allowed to rant in the manor as seen in the following quotes.....

"I hear all the bikes knobs talk about who's going to put your bike together..."

"Seems like all the guys on this form like to hang out in there locally-owned bike shop to shoot the stuff."

"I would have been pissed had I paid full price for the bike I bought knowing I could have bought direct from China for half the cost."

"Don't fall for all the bull malarkey on the site save yourself a ton of money and buy it online. "

I take offense to anyone telling me how to send my money.... It's my money, I earned. I know what is important to me and
and I know best how to spend my money. I know what brings me great joy in my cycling endeavor. I found that joy in a 15 minute test ride
on a Trek XM700+ at my local bike shop. I bought the XM700+ on the spot....It's tough to test ride over the Internet.

As for spending my money, do I think the $3,500 I spent on the Trek XM700+ was worth it...every penny and would I do it again
if I could ? Yes and I did....I bought a Trek Powerfly 7 . See I told you I knew how best to spend my money : )

I've always maintained that cycling, if done with genuine interest, drive and enthusiasm is a very personal endeavor.
It gets down to the rider and the bike.

I hope this was helpful,
John from CT

Hello Fred,
I believe your initial post was a request for info from the members of this forum on the selection of an e-bike. To that end members respectfully
responded with thoughts, opinions and their personal e-bike experiences.

After reading your reply it became very apparent that your position differs significantly from the members that took the to time to
pass along what they've experienced and where they stand....I completely agree with your right to have an 'opposing view' from what was presented.

While I support that right to reject the opinions presented, I completely and strongly oppose that no member ever should
be allowed to rant in the manor as seen in the following quotes.....

"I hear all the bikes knobs talk about who's going to put your bike together..."

"Seems like all the guys on this form like to hang out in there locally-owned bike shop to shoot the stuff."

"I would have been pissed had I paid full price for the bike I bought knowing I could have bought direct from China for half the cost."

"Don't fall for all the bull malarkey on the site save yourself a ton of money and buy it online. "

I take offense to anyone telling me how to send my money.... It's my money, I earned. I know what is important to me and
and I know best how to spend my money. I know what brings me great joy in my cycling endeavor. I found that joy in a 15 minute test ride
on a Trek XM700+ at my local bike shop. I bought the XM700+ on the spot....It's tough to test ride over the Internet.

As for spending my money, do I think the $3,500 I spent on the Trek XM700+ was worth it...every penny and would I do it again
if I could ? Yes and I did....I bought a Trek Powerfly 7 . See I told you I knew how best to spend my money : )

I've always maintained that cycling, if done with genuine interest, drive and enthusiasm is a very personal endeavor.
It gets down to the rider and the bike.

I hope this was helpful,
John from CT

John from CT-Well said. I hope you got through to Fred that this is a very personal decision during research/purchase. Not sure why he has taken the stance he has on this forum. We are all here just to HELP each other and stay as informative as possible. I'm sure the people that administer this forum would agree.

BTW-The XM700+ and Trek Powerfly 7 are awesome ebikes! I test rode both at the Expo this year and they are all quality built indeed. I also like the way Trek has paired the different motors with their different line of bikes. The SuperCommuter8 seems to give a better ride than the BMW version with Bosch.
I still have my standard Trek 7000 full aluminum since '92 (made in Waterloo, WI) and it is still going strong with minimal maintenance and breakdown. Now the Verve is getting great reviews also. Way to go!

Last edited:
Back