Shimano steps - is the battery and drive train waterproof?

Wright

After a day of avoiding creek crossings I am wondering how waterproof the e8000 might be. I know S says "waterproof for heavy rain" but that to me is more "water resistant". Can I have the drive train and/or battery under water while crossing a creek? Any experience from other users would be useful.

Great question, I would also be concerned. I can’t speak for a Shimano system but on my Specialized Vado I would not completely submerge the Brose motor in water. I got caught in a heavy downpour a couple weeks ago and got drenched. All was fine with the bike, I believe thanks to the fenders, but the experience gave me a healthy respect for water. Water and batteries/motors just don’t play well together.
Another thought is the amount of dirt and sand that’s suspended in the water and ends up in the bike.
Maybe contact the bike manufacturer?
Please post what you find out.

After a day of avoiding creek crossings I am wondering how waterproof the e8000 might be. I know S says "waterproof for heavy rain" but that to me is more "water resistant". Can I have the drive train and/or battery under water while crossing a creek? Any experience from other users would be useful.

Here on the forum there is a member from the UK who professionally rebuilds mid drives. He's posted videos of Bosch and Brose rebuilds. All of the damage is the result of water ingress, damaging the bearings. Ingress could be the result of people using power washers or submersion in water. I'd doubt it's the result of average rain. I think good ebikes are very water resistant, I don't know about fully waterproof. I wouldn't submerge my eMTB drive, and I especially wouldn't submerge the battery.

Back