Shimano Inter-5 vs Enviolo

Blue80

Region
USA
Hello everyone, first post. I have not yet even touched an e-bike but have decided that I would like to get one. After doing a ton of research, I have settled on the Priority Current via the Costco Next program. However, I am undecided between the Shimano and Enviola options. I watched Priority's video about it and have tried to read anything I can find (including an earlier thread in this forum). While I understand the technical differences, I am having difficulty understanding the impact of the differences in real life. I understand the Enviolo has a wider range, but is that range normally used? Where I live, I have to ride up a couple of short but steep hills. On a non-electric bike, I can barely do it and sometimes give up and walk. I am hoping that an e-bike can make this easier. Otherwise, almost all of my riding would be on flat or nearly flat roads. Would one or the other be better in these circumstances?

Thanks for any advice!

I just switched to a mid-drive from a hub drive, thinking I was more of a bicyclist that it appears that I really am. The mid-drive requires a lot of shifting, so I am working on getting better at this again.
If I had my druthers, though, I'd prefer the auto shifting of the Enviolo as I know I'm still in the wrong gear most of the time. If I had something that could do that for me, wow, that would be awesome!

if my hills were all just short and irritating interruptions in a generally smooth ride, I’d just jump the assistance level way up to deal with them and go back down to lower motor power when I was over the hump, as it were. The high motor assistance will get you over the hill more reliably than worrying about gearing.

My enviolo acoustic bike struggles with long, very steep hills more than my spouse’s 9-option derailleur, even with mine set at the “hill” range on the shifter. I’m able to make it up, but it’s not easy. On my ebike with enviolo, I shift it into its hill range and then bump the assistance level up to climb.

I’m not sure what @tgianco means by “auto shifting” exactly, as the enviolo still requires you to adjust the shifter on the handlebars using their little icon on it to choose smooth or hilly terrain. It’s just not numbered like a gear set would be.

There is an Automatiq option in some enviolo bikes from other manufacturers, but not the Priority Current.

Last edited:
if my hills were all just short and irritating interruptions in a generally smooth ride, I’d just jump the assistance level way up to deal with them and and go back down to lower motor power when I was over the hump, as it were. The high motor assistance will get you over the hill more reliably than worrying about gearing.

My enviolo acoustic bike struggles with very steep hills even set at the “hill” portion of its shifter graphic. I’m able to make it up, but it’s not easy. On my ebike with enviolo, I shift it into its hill range and then bump the assistance level up to climb.

I’m not sure what you mean by “auto shifting” exactly, as the enviolo still requires you to adjust the shifter on the handlebars using their little icon on it to choose smooth or hilly terrain. It’s just not numbered like a gear set would be.

As it turns out, I am doing exactly what you advise. I ended up buying the Shimano 5 speed version. I had the opportunity to briefly try each version and I just felt more comfortable with the Shimano. Probably given time I could have gotten used to Enviolo, but in my brief test I was never sure to where to turn the shifter. With the Shimano, I just turn up the assistance level like you suggest and hills are no problem. After having it for a while, my only regret is that the Shimano doesn't have a 6th gear. When I'm going fast would appreciate a higher gear. I'm not sure if the Enviolo would have solved that problem, but possibly.

It does have a higher ratio than the shimano, so possibly it would smooth out the cadence at the hills, but my experience is enviolo’s 380% ratio isn’t aimed at really steep places. A 14er hub like the rohloff, or shimano 8, would really be the ticket for that. (As you say, just a step or two more than 5 helps.)

Both the Current models are great and being powered means the minor trade offs aren’t bad. I’m glad you like the one ya got!

Back