Shimano E6100 occasional crank clunking noise and reverse rotation of chain wheel

triprelay

Been riding with E6100 system since January, with about 450 miles use. Periodically I get clunking noise when cranking. I've found that when bike is in this state, reverse rotation of the crank causes reverse rotation of the chain wheel, whereas chain wheel normally only rotates with forward cranking. It is as though something goes wrong with whatever ratchet devices normally ensures only forward rotation of the chain wheel. I've found that a quick reverse jerk of the crank stop the problem, but sometimes a few shots at this are required. Anyone else experience similar, or any expert theories as to what might be causing this and if there is any adjustment or lubrication that would remedy..?

No, drag or other effect. Just a clunk with every crank rotation - as though a latch is being hit and if I stop, and reverse rotate crank its is there, plus the chain wheel turns when reverse winding crank - also if I slowly reverse crank when riding. A jerk reverse crank seems to cure it. I presume there is some sort of ratchet mech that normally ensures chain wheel rotates only with forward crank..?

This isn't of much help, but whatever clutch mechanism Shimano built into the E6100 is as close to instant and silent as I can detect. I'm playing with it, and am seeing close clearances between the chainring and chainstay, as well as between the crank arm and the adapter ring. I'd be looking for any debris, damage, or misfitted (rubbing) parts. There's a small gap between the spindle and chainring carrier. Barring that, I'd peek under the chainring and motor cover, but if it's like the E6000, you'll need an adapter tool for the drive side.

TQ - sorry my last message got a bit garbled when editing online. I was riding today and the phenomenon started a few times (knock at one point with each crank turn), but a quick reverse crank jerk stopped it. Do you know if there are any exploded view diagrams of the drive mech available? Just playing with crank today - as you say, there is some form of directional clutch, rather than ratchet, where a slight forward rotation causes engagement. Is it possible that whatever flys out to engage with forward rotation can fly a bit too far and catch on something..? I'll see what I can find in gaps. Maybe some debris that gets whipped up in the tight clearance between crank spindle and chainring drive, which dislodges with a backward crank jerk, until the next time. Might take a while, but will let you know what I find. Auto shifting still has no intelligence for dealing with sudden steep hills (as per endorsement of your other thread..).

I haven't come across any exploded view diagrams. I think Shimano intends these to be unservicable.

What puzzles me is that, pedaling forward, whatever clutch or pawl is engaged to turn the chainring should stay engaged, so I can't imagine it releasing and re-engaging at a certain point in each rotation.

Anyhow, keep up the detective work and please update this thread as you figure out the problem.

TQ - sorry my last message got a bit garbled when editing online. I was riding today and the phenomenon started a few times (knock at one point with each crank turn), but a quick reverse crank jerk stopped it. Do you know if there are any exploded view diagrams of the drive mech available? Just playing with crank today - as you say, there is some form of directional clutch, rather than ratchet, where a slight forward rotation causes engagement. Is it possible that whatever flys out to engage with forward rotation can fly a bit too far and catch on something..? I'll see what I can find in gaps. Maybe some debris that gets whipped up in the tight clearance between crank spindle and chainring drive, which dislodges with a backward crank jerk, until the next time. Might take a while, but will let you know what I find. Auto shifting still has no intelligence for dealing with sudden steep hills (as per endorsement of your other thread..).
I haven't come across any exploded view diagrams. I think Shimano intends these to be unservicable.

What puzzles me is that, pedaling forward, whatever clutch or pawl is engaged to turn the chainring should stay engaged, so I can't imagine it releasing and re-engaging at a certain point in each rotation.

Anyhow, keep up the detective work and please update this thread as you figure out the problem.

I have same issue. It makes aloud clank releases for a 1/2 second then grabs again. Hope you figure it out and post fix...thanks

I know this is years later but did any of you solve this? I get a slight click I can feel in the pedals, then it feels like it lets go and catches as you describe. Feel like it might be something in whatever sort of clutch they have in the motor.

Back