Share this article with your local land managers!

I want to add something about the Expressed Preemption Clause in HR727 because many have questioned if the CPSC can preempt 3-class ebike definitions.

Express preemption occurs when a federal law expressly states that it is intended to preempt state law (as HR727 has). ... For example, if a state law required all widgets to be red and a federal law stated that no widget could be red, the state law would be preempted under conflict preemption.

In the case of Canada, the decision is left up to each individual park/province to administer their own set of rules. BC parks for example, allows only class 1 e-bikes on trails as class 2 and 3 are considered motorized vehicles under the PCRA (Parks Conservancy and Recreation Area). I believe Alberta is only following suit.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-parks-ebike-policy-1.5262734

https://bcparks.ca/recreation/biking/
Your linked articles seem to claim that 3-class is an "industry standard" but that has nothing to do with what is LEGAL or NOT. This certainly doesn't even match EU or US 3-class definitions so the "industry standard" claim is dubious at best...

ClassMax Continuous Motor WattageMax Speed Before Motor Cut-offMotor Actuator Method
Class 1500 W32 km/hPedal-assist only (no throttle)
Class 2500W32 km/hPedal assist and/or throttle actuated
Class 3500W45 km/hPedal assist and/or throttle actuated

Class 1 e-bikes are not considered motor vehicles under the Park, Conservancy and Recreation Area (PCRA) regulations and have the following capabilities:

• Motor only provides assistance if rider is pedaling (pedal assist)
  • Has a motor with a continuous maximum output of 500 watts
  • May have a deactivated throttle actuator so that the motor is only controlled by pedal assist
Class 2 e-bikes are considered as motor vehicles under the PCRA regulations and have the following capabilities:

• Motor is capable of providing assistance in part or exclusively by throttle (throttle actuated)
  • Motor must stop providing assistance once speeds reach or exceed 32km/hr
Class 3 e-bikes are considered as motor vehicles under the PCRA regulations and have the following capabilities:

• Motor is capable of providing assistance in part or exclusively by throttle (throttle actuated)
  • Motor must stop providing assistance once speeds reach or exceed 45km/hr

Nevertheless, it is the system that the PCRA has adopted for now. I’m not going to argue the point as I plan on hitting the trails in Bragg Creek in the coming weeks.

Sounds a lot like what is happening here in the US. No one really knows what legislation has legal standing. I would think ebike riders would want clarification.

Wow...I'm slowing down but I have always tried to present accurate information so others can make informed decisions. You have stated things that simply are not true and context everything about regulations with regard to trail access. I'm not saying trail access isn't important but it's not the only thing we should be worried about with respect to regulations.

No honor??? Because I posted again. Wow.

September 20, 2021

E-bikes are now allowed in Oklahoma City's parks and on city trails after an ordinance change by the city council.

September 20, 2021

E-bikes are now allowed in Oklahoma City's parks and on city trails after an ordinance change by the city council.

This article pretty much confirms what I have been saying for long time - that remnants of state policy still existed that considered all ebikes "motorized vehicles."

I'm fine if the locals really want to think there is a difference between a Class 1 and a Class 2 ebike but anyone that understands the tech will make fun of that nonsensical logic. Those are the people thinking that a throttle still means it's a motorcycle. They just can't let go of all their obsolete opinions.

Still would be best to see all this class non-sense tossed and the definition in HR727 determine what a compliant LSEB as a bike is. Simple and removes the local hysterical thinking.

September 2, 2021

Riders of bicycles and electric bicycles are one step closer to seeing expanded uses on Missouri Department of Conservation areas.

So in this case they are going to allow all 3 classes and traditional bikes. Wow, so isn't that pretty much what was intended by HR727 in 2002?

Back