Share this article with your local land managers!

The decision to exclude e-bikers from Annadel’s trails was made above Jones and Fogarty’s heads. “It really is about resource protection,” said Maria Mowrey, superintendent of the California State Parks Bay Area District. “We have to balance natural and cultural resources with recreation. And sometimes we have to make tough decisions about that.”

Just have to get a kick out of how a superintendent views allowing or banning ebikes a tough decision. Wow ... rough job having to consider allowing the average power of a home toaster on a trail. The only decision harder is deciding when to watch Duck Dynasty re-runs.

The information on bruised egos is the real driving force behind those that do not want ebikes on trails. There is no data that supports the claim they do more damage or decrease trail safety for anyone.

Refreshing to read an article about trails not mentioning the 3-class legislation and just referring to "ebikes as bikes." Hopefully that tide is turning as well.

Well written, fast read. The tide is turning.
This one might make your blood boil a bit because this forum has a lot of experienced riders, but it does show how the tide is turning. Win the minds and the hearts will follow!

September 8, 2021

Roger Marolt: Open our trails to e-bikes before we’re all too old​

By the time the dust settles, we all might appreciate e-bikes on singletrack​

Well written, fast read. The tide is turning.
The biggest thing I see is a lack of respect. A lot of new E-bike and acoustic bike riders a like. Also there are E-bikes and then...... those that claim to be E-bikes. One of the biggest things new riders can do is learn the rules and be respectful of all the different users on the trails and roads they ride. I don't know how many times I've seen a rider on the wrong side of the road. The thing about true e-bikes vs regular bicycle is becoming a thing of the past and e-bikes aren't just for the old and injured. Have fun go far share the path:)

The biggest thing I see is a lack of respect. A lot of new E-bike and acoustic bike riders a like. Also there are E-bikes and then...... those that claim to be E-bikes. One of the biggest things new riders can do is learn the rules and be respectful of all the different users on the trails and roads they ride. I don't know how many times I've seen a rider on the wrong side of the road. The thing about true e-bikes vs regular bicycle is becoming a thing of the past and e-bikes aren't just for the old and injured. Have fun go far share the path:)
Be cautious writing things like "the thing about ebikes and regular bikes is becoming a thing of the past" as that is what I've been advocating as it's stated in HR727 from 2002 and I get hammered by many on EBR every time I suggest compliant ebikes should be "use" regulated as a bike (as was intended). There are still land managers and park superintendents that view a throttle-assist ebikes as a motorized vehicles and they don't like being questioned. Some people even think that an assist cut-off limits an ebikes top riding speed (I guess they forget about the impact of gravity and different rider abilities). I'm pretty straight forward on this but it's clear that ebikes are being accepted as just another bike on the trails / paths / roads more frequently. Leave the class system in Europe where it belongs as they seem to like registration and insurance costs on 250W S-pedelecs that achieve 28mph with mostly rider effort.

Roll Tide!!

Last edited:
Have fun go far share the path:)
One on one I generally do get respect. Maybe, like you say, I respect the rules and other riders.

Most people understand an ebike ins't just a bike. We embrace those differences. We ride more often and much farther. The people running the trails know that and they feel they need to take the differences into account. A dedicated mtb rider will ride hundreds of miles a year, a dedicated eMTB rider will ride thousands of miles a year. One us can account for 2 or 3 of unassisted riders, both in numbers on the trails and trail wear.

Most single tracks are built and maintained by volunteers. Even rail trails have volunteer days for maintenance. Having spoken to the managers and volunteers, they understand what the future may be. Instead of a few dozen riders per day riding a few runs each, there could be hundreds of riders riding a dozen runs a day. There's good reason for concern. We can work it out though. More people should mean more volunteers and more donations👍

One on one I generally do get respect. Maybe, like you say, I respect the rules and other riders.

Most people understand an ebike ins't just a bike. We embrace those differences. We ride more often and much farther. The people running the trails know that and they feel they need to take the differences into account. A dedicated mtb rider will ride hundreds of miles a year, a dedicated eMTB rider will ride thousands of miles a year. One us can account for 2 or 3 of unassisted riders, both in numbers on the trails and trail wear.

Most single tracks are built and maintained by volunteers. Even rail trails have volunteer days for maintenance. Having spoken to the managers and volunteers, they understand what the future may be. Instead of a few dozen riders per day riding a few runs each, there could be hundreds of riders riding a dozen runs a day. There's good reason for concern. We can work it out though. More people should mean more volunteers and more donations👍
The best way for acceptance and "use" regulation is that compliant ebikes be viewed as just a bike.

In other threads you implied that only pedal-assist Class 1 ebikes were acceptable to trail managers and then the DOI order came out telling the federal land managers to treat all 3 classes the same as a bike unless there was compelling evidence that was verified to be an issue. Now the potential for ebikes to ride farther is something to be concerned about.

Maybe if they were just treated as any other bike there would be no issues whatsoever beside the egos clashing.

One of the things that's helped local advocates of ebikes and trail access has been acceptance in some state and national parks.

Reported in June, 2021 the National Parks Service has approved ebike rental at Grand Canyon, Arizona.

Louis Rowe, Deputy Superintendent of Grand Canyon NPS said the Department of the Interior (DOI) policymakers are awaiting states to determine the nature of class 2 e-bikes before they decide whether the e-bikes will be allowed in the National Parks. “We haven’t figured out if they are an electric motorcycle or a bicycle” he said.

This is exactly why I dislike the 3-class system - it accomplishes nothing but adding confusion. They haven't figured out if class 2 are an electric motorcycles or bicycles. Really? As if the NPS should even be making that determination. When you create non-nonsensical classes you allow goofy judgement to happen at the local level that have nothing to do with "use" regulation.

Amazing that this article was published in June 2021 ... even now so many have no clue what they are talking about. There is implications that Class 3 can have a throttle but I believe that is only in New York. I believe it also makes totally false claims about the DOI order on ebikes at it permits all Classes unless there is specific justification otherwise (it should just allow all CPSC compliant ebikes and it a way it does because the federal definition is mentioned in the order.....just creating more confusion in reality).

Last edited:
Louis Rowe, Deputy Superintendent of Grand Canyon NPS said the Department of the Interior (DOI) policymakers are awaiting states to determine the nature of class 2 e-bikes before they decide whether the e-bikes will be allowed in the National Parks. “We haven’t figured out if they are an electric motorcycle or a bicycle” he said.

This is exactly why I dislike the 3-class system - it accomplishes nothing but adding confusion. They haven't figured out if class 2 are an electric motorcycles or bicycles. Really? As if the NPS should even be making that determination. When you create non-nonsensical classes you allow goofy judgement to happen at the local level that have nothing to do with "use" regulation.
I try to not put people on ignore. It can damage the readability of a thread.

This thread was meant to be a resource in an effort to open up local trails. Having been involved in, and having success opening up trails and paths I wanted to help others. The thread wasn't meant to be one of your long, rambling rants and arguments about your pet peeves. It has nothing to do with any of that.

Let it go. Allow a thread to be helpful and positive, without hate-fulled and angry rants. I'm not addressing you on this topic.

I try to not put people on ignore. It can damage the readability of a thread.

This thread was meant to be a resource in an effort to open up local trails. Having been involved in, and having success opening up trails and paths I wanted to help others. The thread wasn't meant to be one of your long, rambling rants and arguments about your pet peeves. It has nothing to do with any of that.

Let it go. Allow a thread to be helpful and positive, without hate-fulled and angry rants. I'm not addressing you on this topic.
It's not about hate....it's about accuracy. The information in that article is simply just not accurate or true. Doesn't that matter?

@Ken M, you made it halfway through one reply
before insulting someone you’ve never met. At some point I hope you realize that your rhetoric around this issue is doing your cause far more harm than good.

The only decision harder is deciding when to watch Duck Dynasty re-runs.

@Ken M, you made it halfway through one reply
before insulting someone you’ve never met. At some point I hope you realize that your rhetoric around this issue is doing your cause far more harm than good.
Sorry but making it sound like allowing or not allowing ebikes on a path is a tough decision just got the best of me. I do understand that regardless of what they decide there will be complaints but my guess is that 95% of US citizens are OK sharing infrastructure with bikes, so I don't see upsetting that 5% as making a tough decision. I understand that 5% can be very vocal.

I should probably take the advice to not post comments for a while on the regulatory topic. I do get frustrated when there is so much false claims being made that I begin to make comments that are a bit insulting. My main goal has always been about providing information on this subject because while not complicated is has a confusing past (ebikes were considered "motorized vehicles" prior to 2002 and that label still lingers).

I'm very pro-ebike so I do want to support regulations that favor the broadest possible adoption for both the leisure/recreation/fitness and the urban mobility segments. That is a "bias" I hope is shared by most on this forum.

One of the things that's helped local advocates of ebikes and trail access has been acceptance in some state and national parks.

Reported in June, 2021 the National Parks Service has approved ebike rental at Grand Canyon, Arizona.

One of our Provincial parks here in Alberta (Kananaskis/Peter Lougheed), along with a well-known area frequented by MTBers (West Bragg Creek) outside of Calgary, have either allowed class 1 e-MTBs on the trails as a pilot project, as in the case of Kananaskis Country, or has fully recognized them as in Bragg Creek. It’s very reassuring to hear this and I’m hopeful that we will see something in the works in the weeks/months to come with respect to one of our national parks (Banff). I spoke with the Visitor Experience Project Manager for the Town of Banff regarding this matter and he seemed encouraged by changes on the horizon.

The Department of the Interior under the current administration has moderated a bit since the DOI made new rule in 2020 regarding ebikes. I'm grateful for the access we have, but these things can change. As far as I know most trails that opened in the past 2 years are still open. Never hurts to let them know where you stand on the issue.

DOI order June 30, 2021

July 1, 2021

Superintendents across the National Park System have been given permission to reverse course and deny trail access to e-bikes if they adversely impact park resources or other visitors.

That guidance from Shawn Benge, the acting director of the National Park Service, comes nearly two years after former Interior Secretary David Bernhardt ordered parks to allow the motorized bikes on trails that muscle-powered bikes already were allowed on.

In the order sent Wednesday to regional directors, associate and assistant directors, superintendents, and the chief of the U.S. Park Police, Benge wrote to "remind superintendents that they have the discretion to allow e-bikes or not; and (3) direct superintendents of park units that allowed e-bikes on trails or administrative roads under the rescinded e-bike policy to reconsider that decision..."

One of our Provincial parks here in Alberta (Kananaskis/Peter Lougheed), along with a well-known area frequented by MTBers (West Bragg Creek) outside of Calgary, have either allowed class 1 e-MTBs on the trails as a pilot project, as in the case of Kananaskis Country, or has fully recognized them as in Bragg Creek. It’s very reassuring to hear this and I’m hopeful that we will see something in the works in the weeks/months to come with respect to one of our national parks (Banff). I spoke with the Visitor Experience Project Manager for the Town of Banff regarding this matter and he seemed encouraged by changes on the horizon.
Good news. I read about other pilot programs across the US as well. The first time I addressed regulators on the issue, I was pleasantly surprised. The issues are complicated. Most weren't anti ebike, even though they initially said no. Most of them were willing to learn. Very encouraging signs everywhere you look... well almost everywhere.

The Department of the Interior under the current administration has moderated a bit since the DOI made new rule in 2020 regarding ebikes. I'm grateful for the access we have, but these things can change. As far as I know most trails that opened in the past 2 years are still open. Never hurts to let them know where you stand on the issue.

DOI order June 30, 2021

July 1, 2021

Superintendents across the National Park System have been given permission to reverse course and deny trail access to e-bikes if they adversely impact park resources or other visitors.

That guidance from Shawn Benge, the acting director of the National Park Service, comes nearly two years after former Interior Secretary David Bernhardt ordered parks to allow the motorized bikes on trails that muscle-powered bikes already were allowed on.

In the order sent Wednesday to regional directors, associate and assistant directors, superintendents, and the chief of the U.S. Park Police, Benge wrote to "remind superintendents that they have the discretion to allow e-bikes or not; and (3) direct superintendents of park units that allowed e-bikes on trails or administrative roads under the rescinded e-bike policy to reconsider that decision..."

Here we are almost 20 years after HR727 stated that compliant "low speed electric bicycles" are not 'motorized vehicles" and yet some still apply that definition to them.

Yes they have a motor with less power than the average home bread toaster yet some want to still claim they are equivalent to a motorcycle. Amazing....and I'm the bad guy for continuing to point this out. They were defined to be same as other bikes defined and "use" regulated as such. If accepted as "bikes" all this nonsense goes away. If issues ever arise from the "use" of compliant LSEBs on any public infrastruture then it would make sense to revisit HR727 as it states would be justified. Otherwise, just let them be bikes. My god, why is this so hard.

Good news. I read about other pilot programs across the US as well. The first time I addressed regulators on the issue, I was pleasantly surprised. The issues are complicated. Most weren't anti ebike, even though they initially said no. Most of them were willing to learn. Very encouraging signs everywhere you look... well almost everywhere.
Canada does not have an ebike class regulation system. It's my understanding they have one definition for a compliant ebike and it's 500W max and less than 32kph. Hey but I'll be the bad guy again for stating facts.

Back