Seat height question

Travelling Man

Hi guys, first post. I have just ordered the Rad Mini and Mini ST. My question is if I order a Suntour SP12 NCX and a C9 sprung seat how much would that raise the seat height?

Just a guesstimate but it looks like the Suntour seatpost alone will raise the minimum seat height by about 4", and that assumes that the seatpost can drop all the way down into the seat tube (sometimes this is limited if it hits water bottle gussets or bolts inside the seat tube).
IMG_0596.JPG

The Suntour suspension post can be pushed all the way down resting on the top of the seat tube without the bottom of the post hitting anything. I have mine raised one inch with a measurement between the pedal at its lowest position to the top of my seat at 30 inches. I stand 5'11" and that measurement allows me to place both feet on the ground while sitting and I can ride the bike comfortably all day long. But there is a wide variance among riders as to just exactly what that measurement will be in order not to cause any difficulties while riding. Too short and it will definitely cause problems.
The stock seat post works fine and never had any problems with it. However the roads are so full of bumps around here that my back needs the extra cushioning provided by a combination of a suspension seat post and my Cloud 9 seat.

Remember that proper seat height has to do with distance from the top of the seat to the PEDALS, not the ground. At the bottom of the leg stroke, you want your down leg ALMOST fully extended (not quite locked knee). On a properly adjusted bike (for maximum EFFICIENCY pedaling), you cannot stay on the seat and get both feet on the ground. At stops you move your butt FORWARD off the seat to plant both feet on the ground.

For ebikes that have riders not interested in applying full pedal power the seat can be up to 3 inches lower than typical and still have a comfortable ride.

On my bikes, I’ve flipped the seat mount brackets on the Suntour SCX 180 degrees to allow for the seat to sit an inch or so lower. I found that with the seat mounted on top of the post and with the post fully dropped in the tube, the seat was still just a bit too high. Flipping the brackets worked for me. Not sure that this will work for every seat type however the SCX is slim enough to tuck up between the seat rails and still give good range of motion.

Back