Sea Otter Classic Adds eMTB Races for 2016 *NOW 2017 is a Go!

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
New to Sea Otter - a competitive eMTB race! Yes, eMTB bike racing on the "swale". The 2016 Sea Otter eMTB race route will offer a few road descents, single track trails, challenging distance, and a bit of climbing are all part of the eMTB race experience. The race is time based - 60 minutes in duration - kind of a hybrid between short track and cross country.

Men's eMTB Categories
15-18 Men
19-29 Men
30-39 Men
40-49 Men
50-59 Men
60+ Men

Women's eMTB Categories
15-18 Women
19-29 Women
30-39 Women
40-49 Women
50-59 Women
60+ Women

Read More>>>

And in BRAIN>>>

New to Sea Otter - a competitive eMTB race! Yes, eMTB bike racing on the "swale". The 2016 Sea Otter eMTB race route will offer a few road descents, single track trails, challenging distance, and a bit of climbing are all part of the eMTB race experience. The race is time based - 60 minutes in duration - kind of a hybrid between short track and cross country.

Men's eMTB Categories
15-18 Men
19-29 Men
30-39 Men
40-49 Men
50-59 Men
60+ Men

Women's eMTB Categories
15-18 Women
19-29 Women
30-39 Women
40-49 Women
50-59 Women
60+ Women

Read More>>>

And in BRAIN>>>
I just might enter if I get enough off-road experience between now and next April. I love riding road bikes and e-bikes, but currently, I'm scared to death of riding a MTB off-road.

I just might enter if I get enough off-road experience between now and next April. I love riding road bikes and e-bikes, but currently, I'm scared to death of riding a MTB off-road.
This event is pretty much genesis eMTB race for the U.S. and I find the prospects of it exciting as hell! Doesn't matter where you finish, but it seems for a novice MTB'er it would be a success with the first stroke of the crank. I'm happy to see this being organized and hope the starting line is full of competitors for each race.

These are exciting times for ebikers!

I did run across this blog by a traditional MTB'er and thought you (anyone) might want the other side of the story.
http://dirtragmag.com/sea-otter-adds-e-bike-race-for-2016/

Very interesting addition to the Sea Otter lineup... I did the 2014 MTB Fondo at Sea Otter on my "regular" MTB, and it was fantastic - 24 miles, nothing technical, no really long climbs, and a spectacular trail system in Fort Ord/Laguna Seca. Very beginner-friendly if you have basic off-road safe handling skills (watching your speed, reading terrain, basic climbing/descending skills you could get in a 1/2 day course) and if you're able to handle moderate climbs... and with an eMTB, the latter isn't an issue. :)

I would rather they introduce eMTB events in a similar, separate Fondo (perhaps a longer-distance one) than as a race - a Fondo would likely have less impact on the trails, which reduces ammo for eMTB opponents; but a race may raise the excitement and enthusiasm levels in the masses when they see what these things can do. Guess we'll find out in April!

For fellow MTB+eMTB riders, the eMTB race is Friday afternoon and the MTB Fondo is Saturday morning... you can easily do both. Tempting! :)

No brands in the results. :eek:

Did Bosch, Brose, Bionx, or Yamaha win?

We just gotta know! :D

Specialized had brought in some really big name pros and he won the race in men's 30-39 category.
Most of the winners were well-known pros.

Mike Kluge, the founder of Focus E-bikes, won the race in the Industry challenge category.

We entered two Koben in the eMTB event and I rode a prototype bike - despite the race inspector's protest. I got a flat on the first lap, but Kelly came in 3rd for the women's race. Joe was just out having fun, since Specialized brought a former World Champion to take the win. We only had a National Champion. :)

We entered two Koben in the eMTB event and I rode a prototype bike - despite the race inspector's protest. I got a flat on the first lap, but Kelly came in 3rd for the women's race. Joe was just out having fun, since Specialized brought a former World Champion to take the win. We only had a National Champion. :)

Why did the race inspector protest? There was nothing in the rules against prototype bikes. The only thing I saw that was similar was a ban on "tuned" bikes, but I think that referred to bikes that could provide assist above 20MPH.

From looking on FB, I noticed that Rick Hoak riding a KTM took fifth place.

13062283_1384518261574309_9092220709937277666_n.jpg

One way or another I've been completing organised mtb events for nearly three years now, and have my first full on gravity enduro race in one months time. There is no way in the world that I would choose to enter an event such as the Sea Otter. The riders are trained professional athletes, and couldn't be further removed from the fitness level of anyone on here.

I ride approx 4,000 miles a year off road using a mix of e-mtb and pedal mtb, and taking last night as an example, I went out for just a 13 mile ride with a group of lads who ride at a very good mtb race level, including mega avalanche* events, and even the very fast pace and short mileage of this ride just about finished me off.

You have nothing to loose by entering amateur events if they are available, or even organising your own if they aren't.

3582B-WUPSMTB04.jpg

If you haven't seen mega avalanche, this is it. I have some crazy friends. :)

Last edited:
From looking on FB, I noticed that Rick Hoak riding a KTM took fifth place.

View attachment 5926

One way or another I've been completing organised mtb events for nearly three years now, and have my first full on gravity enduro race in one months time. There is no way in the world that I would choose to enter an event such as the Sea Otter. The riders are trained professional athletes, and couldn't be further removed from the fitness level of anyone on here.

I ride approx 4,000 miles a year off road using a mix of e-mtb and pedal mtb, and taking last night as an example, I went out for just a 13 mile ride with a group of lads who ride at a very good mtb race level, including mega avalanche* events, and even the very fast pace and short mileage of this ride just about finished me off.

You have nothing to loose by entering amateur events if they are available, or even organising your own if they aren't.

View attachment 5927

If you haven't seen mega avalanche, this is it. I have some crazy friends. :)

Crazy is an understatement... Those guys are freakin nuts!! :)

It was supposed to be a friendly/amateur event, until some of the big brands showed up with their big guns. Most people lined up at the start were on borrowed bikes, and a lot of us haven't been in a bike race in years if not decades.

If the point of this "race" was an unrecognized (not UCI, not even USAC) podium, then the Big Co's won. If it was to have fun, I think we did pretty well.

https://quan.exposure.co/eotter-classic

It's nice that they've taken the sponsorship of the entire event. As far as ebike racing goes though, I agree with this article. http://ebike-mtb.com/en/big-danger-nine-reasons-e-mtb-racing/

I'd rather see an ebike group ride, ebikes are all about having fun, and should be promoted like that. Once you start racing things with motors, the focus shifts to the motors.
Yes it's all about the fun. Like it or not, sport is what will bring ebikes mainstream. The older crowd, of which I'm one, may have the money to barely keep the ebike industry afloat, but it's not enough to bring continual innovation. It'll take mainstream sales to all age groups and disciplines. Group rides and events won't generate Tweets, Facebook posts and YouTube views and therefore sales of ebikes. Sport does generate all that, especially in the US. A$$es on ebike seats, especially the voting ones will open up trails, create bike lanes and build new bike infrastructure. All this will drive new innovation.

I agree with @Rincon, it's brilliant!

@Nutella I think that article is quite well written. It is good to get the ebike idea out through sponsorship, but trying to take the competitive angle for ebikes doesn't make a ton of sense. At an event like that, having a non competitive race with all the same bike brand just to show off ebikes in general is probably more appropriate, something more fun spirited and less official.

I would love to see the e-bike IROC Mountain Bike Challenge. Does anyone remember the International Race of Champions? Every driver got an identical car. It was a race of skills, not motors. Imagine the gnarly uphill sections you could throw on that course with identical e-MTBs. Hello Red Bull Rampage Signature Series, are you listening?

Next year, Eurobike will have much bigger race.

I am hoping to participate in the e-Bike endurance event. Last year, Bafang won the race ahead of Bosch.

Back