Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus vs Kenda Kwick Seven.5

Mango1234

Region
USA
I bought a Ride1Up 500 and decided to upgrade the tires. My biggest priority is puncture resistance. I am already using slime tubes.
The originals tires are Kenda Kwick Seven.5 in the 27.5"x2.2" size. The new ones are Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus in the 27.5"x2.0" size. The Kendas are a little bigger than specified at around 2.3" width. The Schwalbes are a lot smaller at around 1.8" width.
The Schwalbe feels like the tread is around twice as thick as the Kenda, but I didn't measure.
Both tires seem a little loose on the rim. The Kenda came off with little effort. The Schwalbe popped off the rim when first inflating it. I deflated it, moved it a little, and reinflated. It is holding. The rim is 23.8 mm internal width.
I rode around around the block a few times and the Schwalbe seemed quieter than the Kenda. I have only swapped the back tire so far.
The Schwalbe is supposed to have good street traction, but I'm not sure if it is better than the Kenda when I'm losing 1/2" in width.

Amazon:
I ordered the tire from Tradeinn through Amazon. They said it would take 2-6 weeks. I hoped that was an exageration, and I couldn't find them anywhere else, so I ordered them.
After 6 weeks plus a few days they hadn't arrived so I started to research Tradeinn, It turns out the seller has many bad reviews, some of them were for tires that took a looong time to arrive. There were no reviews on the tire page.
Some reviewers said they were based in Spain, but the tires were coming from the Netherlands. I emailed the seller to ask for a resolution, they emailed back that I should open an attachment with the email. That email attachment being from an entity in a foreign country that may or may not have already swindled me. I didn't open the attachment. I emailed Amazon after 7 weeks and asked to cancel the order and they did? A week later the tires arrived! It took 2 months and 1 day.

Attachments

• DSC_0145b.JPG
    DSC_0145b.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0144b.JPG
    DSC_0144b.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC_0143b.JPG
    DSC_0143b.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 490
  • DSC_0142b.JPG
    DSC_0142b.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC_0140b.JPG
    DSC_0140b.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 506
if the tire came off when you inflated it I don't think its a good idea to use it. it could come off while riding it.

Actually, the tube popped out in a small area that my hand was on so I caught it immediately. I thought the tube was oversized so I chalked it up to that. The tube said 2.4/2.0 and it was in a 2.2" tire for a few months, then stuffed into a 2.0" (1.8") tire.
p.s. I just reread my caliper picture and the Kenda is just under 2.2" actual width.

Update: I did a 6 mile neighborhood ride today and measured the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus again. It is now close to 1 7/8" width.
I have Schwalbes on two other bikes. My Marathon 26x1.75s are about a 1/16" narrower than specified. My Marathon Plus 26x2.0s are almost 1/8" skinnier than their name even though they are on very wide rims.

I changed the front tire out today to the Schwalbe and the noise difference is amazing. It is silent. 75 miles on the back with no problems. The back tire is 47mm wide, the front is 46mm.

Back