Say Hello to SURU. Is it an e-Bike? An e-moped? An e-scooter? No, it's a SURU!

They will be available in 250/500/750 Watt rear hub motor versions for the different markets. Motorcycle spec wheels, brakes & suspension. Interesting to note a rear disk brake but a front drum brake. Not bad for $2,999 CAD....$2,280 US

https://www.ridesuru.com/

I know better, but watching that video, Canada sure looks like a dreary place. Needs some sunny blue days with the golden wheat fields of Alberta in the background.

That looks like one of those Tomos mopeds, and kind of look outdated and heavy too.

It is heavy...77lbs. That would be the motorcycle spec components most likely. While the frame style does not appeal to me, it is interesting that it can be engineered & assembled in Canada and sold for under $3,000. And all done without a crowd funding campaign. Seems to be interest for this ebike both in the US and Europe. Time will tell...

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/b...ru-prepares-to-ship-e-bikes-in-spring-266142/

I know it's a personal preferance, but I'd rather have a bicycle looking ebike than something that looks like a Tomos moped.

And yet the Juiced Scrambler is selling well and it doesn't look like a traditional bike either

What part of this bike is Made in Canada?

Front fork? wheels? kickstand? spokes? headlight? bulb? motor? speed controller? crank?
Not sure what parts but their site says "Best of all it's made in Canada, not offshore, assembled using more than 60% local content."

I'm happy to see a Canadian Mfg can compete with Chinese imports. And no tariffs is a bonus for the US market as well.

I would rather have more bicycle looking bike

Many people have no interest in bicycles and do not want to pedal, but they do not want to buy a motorcycle or scooter either. Thus the appeal of "e-bikes" such as the Scrambler and this SURU.

Sorry you just made no sense..

According to what you just said:
People don't want to buy a bicycle because they do NOT want to pedal.
People do NOT want to buy a motorcycle or scooter either.

Thus ebike like Scrambler or SURU will appeal to these people?? WHY??
Looks like this is worst of both world.

You have to pedal, and still looks like a motorcycle.

They don't want a bicycle because that requires pedaling. The Scrambler and SURU don't need to be pedaled; indeed, if you watch the promotional videos, they are mostly riding with the throttle. Yeah, there is the guy pedaling off-road in the Scramble video...probably because his battery is out of juice!

People don't want to buy a motorcycle or scooter because they require a license; these generally do not.

I have mixed feelings about the Suru. It sort of looks like a cross between a bicycle style ebike and an e-scooter. It looks pretty heavy, although I understand it falls under the legal weight class of the bicycle ebike. There's nowhere to put a bike rack or a saddle bag so it wouldn't be much use for running errands unless you wear a knapsack. But maybe there's storage space under the seat?

I can see where it could end up being what we used to call a "heat score" (cop attractant). It looks a lot like a gas dirt bike, and some cops might assume it's an off road vehicle. It also looks heavier than it is, which means a cop might assume it's a scooter or a motorcycle. That could lead to fines if they think you should be wearing a motorcycle helmet or be licensed and insured to drive a motorcycle.

The Suru does look like it would be fun to ride. However, where I live if it doesn't have pedelec it won't be allowed on anything but the on street bike lanes, and it won't be allowed on park trails. It will be interesting to see if it sells, and who ends up buying it.

What part of this bike is Made in Canada?

Hi, SURU here.

When we say Made in Canada, we mean raw sheets of aluminum and tubes of steel are milled, bent, CNC'd, and painted into parts that we assemble in Nova Scotia. We are proud to report that the entire frame, seat, wiring harness, paint, decals and rear swingarm are all manufactured in this province, using local suppliers. That makes every SURU NAFTA (USMCA) compliant as a North American manufacturer with over 65% domestic content.

In the interest of transparency, here is a breakdown of the rest.

Motors, controllers and electric power train parts are from Malaysia; tires, rims, and front hub from Thailand; and from Taiwan we get the bicycle bits. Our batteries are Japanese cells packed into housing that is sourced in China.

As we grow we hope to make more parts here, including motors. It all takes time.

Happy to answer any questions you or the community may have.

SURU

I think it looks cool. However, I already have several ebikes and 2 emotorcycles. They both have their place - ebikes when I go biking or mountain biking and emotorcycle when commuting or I just want to go fast. I don't think I need something like Suru which is a hybrid of both.

Back