Santa showed up at my house!

grench

I cannot wait to compare the hub to my mid drive.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 440
Short update...
Wow this bike is heavy.
Took all the packing off...crud my display is broken :(
Fit and finish is top notch.
It came with a small bottle of black liquid...maybe chain oil??
The reflector package just doesnt look like it belongs on this black beast...did anyone else leave them off? (I know safety and all:eek:)

Wow is this bike heavy!

More to come.

Congrats on the bike! You made a great choice!

I wish they could shave 10 lbs off the ST1/ST2. On the bright side, at least it's a fast bike with long range/big battery.

Last edited:
Short update...
Wow this bike is heavy.
Took all the packing off...crud my display is broken :(
Fit and finish is top notch.
It came with a small bottle of black liquid...maybe chain oil??
The reflector package just doesnt look like it belongs on this black beast...did anyone else leave them off? (I know safety and all:eek:)

Wow is this bike heavy!

More to come.
Congrats! The black liquid is scratch paint. I had the same question when I got my bike in the box like you did.
I left the reflectors off and have installed an aftermarket light and one of those battery powered blinkers on the back instead.

Congrats on the new bike. Sorry to hear about the cracked display... Regarding the weight, yeah... it's heavy... Look forward to hearing more about your experiences with the ST2.
Sorry guys I did not get an ST2 mine is only a platinum.

Maybe next upgrade to the 2.

Ok another update...my new display arrived this morning. I reported the problem Thursday to @Crazy Lenny Ebikes and they came through today! Nice customer service. I have spent the day adjusting and changing components:
1. Changed the saddle...the one it came with was getting way too personal with me!
2. Changed the grips to Ergon with with risers...first time trying them...so far so good. It allows me to sit up right after pushing and breath:oops:
3. Right crank arm continues to loosen...I tightened it 3 different times today???
4. Many thanks to @El_Guapo for the Boost code. Video shows boost over 23mph:D
5. My crusing speed has raised to 20mph - map my ride link below.
6. I was stopping and starting all day and spent the majority of the time in turbo mode-the battery gave up at 21miles. Not bad for 360lbs.
7. Brakes are squeaking mainly on the back. I will mess with them tomorrow.
8. Having a little trouble getting the derailer to shift consistently. I have watched several Youtubes - may have to go to LBS.

This bike makes you want to push. I am beat. :D
http://www.mapmyride.com/view_workout?w=1442266635

Oh ya put a mirror on also.

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Well I headed out this am with a fresh battery and a smile on my face to meet a friend for breakfast (12.5 mile ride). 1.6 miles in I hit a staple and got a flat. My wife came to the rescue and hauled me in.

The point to all this???

Changing a flat on the back of the ST1 Platinum is not so speedy. Took me a little over an hour by the time I wrestled the stretchy wraps and installed the zip ties. I would hate to loose a zip tie on the wires...very little clearance between the wires and the disc brake rotor. It would cut the wires very easily if the zip tie failed.

Definitely more effort and care to change a rear hub verses a mid drive. If you lack mechanical skills I would avoid a rear hub.

One positive note - the wax based chain lube helped keep my hands and arms cleaner. I didn't have chain oil all over everything. I just hope wax keeps the drive train in good shape.

Going for a 30 miler with the road bike guys this afternoon. I could not keep up on my mid drive...hope the ST1 fills my gap.

Cheers!

Well I headed out this am with a fresh battery and a smile on my face to meet a friend for breakfast (12.5 mile ride). 1.6 miles in I hit a staple and got a flat. My wife came to the rescue and hauled me in.

The point to all this???

Changing a flat on the back of the ST1 Platinum is not so speedy. Took me a little over an hour by the time I wrestled the stretchy wraps and installed the zip ties. I would hate to loose a zip tie on the wires...very little clearance between the wires and the disc brake rotor. It would cut the wires very easily if the zip tie failed.

Definitely more effort and care to change a rear hub verses a mid drive. If you lack mechanical skills I would avoid a rear hub.

One positive note - the wax based chain lube helped keep my hands and arms cleaner. I didn't have chain oil all over everything. I just hope wax keeps the drive train in good shape.

Going for a 30 miler with the road bike guys this afternoon. I could not keep up on my mid drive...hope the ST1 fills my gap.

Cheers!

Marathon Plus 26 x 2" to the rescue.
I have been part of various touring groups and across these groups, M+ are kind of gold standard when it comes to flat resistance.
Actually, the stock tires are fantastic too but depending on the weight, you may want to pump it up to 45-50psi.

:eek:My wife sent me this photo while I was out riding Sunday...wonder what she was thinking

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 432
Almost as gory as this....

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
@Ravi Kempaiah, I hope you learned your lesson! When you have carpenters working on your house, DON'T play with their nail gun:rolleyes:

@grench, that is one nasty flat and on a shakedown cruise:( I hope you get a chance to post a video of you with your Stromer and your roadie friends with their featherweights riding up hill. Your bike should give them some serious competition! Are you keeping your Optibike? For off road...winter?

@grench, that is one nasty flat and on a shakedown cruise:( I hope you get a chance to post a video of you with your Stromer and your roadie friends with their featherweights riding up hill. Your bike should give them some serious competition! Are you keeping your Optibike? For off road...winter?[/QUOTE]

I will get some vid...it will be a couple of weeks before I can ride with them again. The ride went well I was able to keep up until a couple of the hot dogs kicked it up to over 30mph. I was topped out between 27-29 and they were pulling away!!! I had no idea they could ride that fast...kinda makes me question the speedo on the ST1. Mapmyride did not record any speeds over 26mph.

Yes I will keep the Optibike I still like the mid drive feel. I just wish it had a higher support speed. I think I will put a good front suspension fork on the ST1 and see how it compares.

I took a spill on the ST1 without the battery on the gravel...hit a gravel mound on a curve coming into my driveway and the front tire disappeared...rubbed the skin off my nose and forehead...scratched my glasses. I bled like a stuck hog... I have taken the same bump on the Opti with the front suspension fork with no issues. That's why I am thinking of adding the suspension fork to the ST1.

@grench, that is one nasty flat and on a shakedown cruise:( I hope you get a chance to post a video of you with your Stromer and your roadie friends with their featherweights riding up hill. Your bike should give them some serious competition! Are you keeping your Optibike? For off road...winter?
@grench
I will get some vid...it will be a couple of weeks before I can ride with them again. The ride went well I was able to keep up until a couple of the hot dogs kicked it up to over 30mph. I was topped out between 27-29 and they were pulling away!!! I had no idea they could ride that fast...kinda makes me question the speedo on the ST1. Mapmyride did not record any speeds over 26mph.

Yes I will keep the Optibike I still like the mid drive feel. I just wish it had a higher support speed. I think I will put a good front suspension fork on the ST1 and see how it compares.

I took a spill on the ST1 without the battery on the gravel...hit a gravel mound on a curve coming into my driveway and the front tire disappeared...rubbed the skin off my nose and forehead...scratched my glasses. I bled like a stuck hog... I have taken the same bump on the Opti with the front suspension fork with no issues. That's why I am thinking of adding the suspension fork to the ST1.

@grench

OUTCH! Hope you're not too bad off! I took a header over the bars a couple summers ago and I noticed I don't bounce off the ground like I once did.

I've only ever ridden the ST1, I was impressed by it's ability to maintain speeds over 25. Other bikes can hit it, but the Stromer can hold it and I understand the ST2 holds near 30! Nice bikes. If my miles were mostly road, I'd be looking at Stromer. As for suspension, have you looked at bar/stem suspension like the Stafast? I think there are a couple others that were recently released for sale as well. I believe one uses air and springs, springs like the Bodyfloat and one uses elastomers like the Thudbuster. I have no idea if, or how well they work and if they even come close to what a Fox or Rock Shox fork can do, just a thought.

Anyway, customizing is half the fun! Good luck with your upgrades and have fun with it all:)

@grench
As for suspension, have you looked at bar/stem suspension like the Stafast? I think there are a couple others that were recently released for sale as well. I believe one uses air and springs, springs like the Bodyfloat and one uses elastomers like the Thudbuster. I have no idea if, or how well they work and if they even come close to what a Fox or Rock Shox fork can do, just a thought.

Anyway, customizing is half the fun! Good luck with your upgrades and have fun with it all:)
I think the problem is keeping the front tire on the ground...no really worried about the hand and arm impact...so I think the front shock is the better solution???

I am going to have the wife drive beside me and check the speedo. My gut tells me it is reading faster than actual speed.

I was also remembering @PowerMe talkong about averaging 17-18mph - Wow I can barley average that speed on straight roads with only a few stops on the Stromer! Wasn't she riding a Easy Motion Street? Wow.

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_workout?w=1448509969

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 333
Got it!

I was looking at forks with thru-axles and ran across these for 26" wheels. They might fit a Stromer, won't fit my 29'er:(

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Forks - 15mm

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Fork

Site says 63% off, selling for $277.00 (reg$755), I've seen them sell for $550+/-. Might be worth a look.

Got it!

I was looking at forks with thru-axles and ran across these for 26" wheels. They might fit a Stromer, won't fit my 29'er:(

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Forks - 15mm

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Fork

Site says 63% off, selling for $277.00 (reg$755), I've seen them sell for $550+/-. Might be worth a look.
I know nothing about Front fork shocks...I do like the one on my Optibike - Fox Talas but wow are they expensive. Are they really that much better?

On another note my feet kept (slick bottom leathers- work shoes) slipping off the pedals in the rain. I went to the local bike shop and the kid talked me into some expensive pedals - Speed Play platforms. Not sure they were worth the price but no more slipping. I may have to screw in the cleats so they don't poke holes in my shoes. Anyone else try these?

Those Speedplay platforms are very cool, I've seen them advertised and I just think they look great! I also favor larger platforms.

Yeah forks! Prices just seem crazy. I was looking to replace my forks that have 9mm skewers with forks that have either 15 or 20mm thru-axles and came upon the the RS Reba's, but they were only for 26" wheels and then I remembered you said you might change out your forks. I just figured I'd pass on info of what might be a good deal. The really good thing is you have thru-axles on the Stromer already, very sturdy, very secure and makes fixing a rear flat easier as well. As for forks, I think you can purchase the Suntour-Stromer fork that's optional for the ST1. Maybe @Ravi Kempaiah can shed some light on this for you, I really don't know what are viable options options for Stromers.

Back