San Diego invitation to ride the Great Western Loop

Oski1997

Region
USA
City
San Diego
Hello fellow ebikers! A couple of friends and I will be going on the 42-mile Great Western Loop here in San Diego this week. All ebikers all welcome to join us. We go at a moderate pace (3 1/2 hours to ride 42 miles) with a 3,900ft elevation. We average about 16mph on the flat road BUT on the back end we go 45+mph on the ride down the mountain. This ride is in the middle of no where (no stores, no restrooms, nowhere to get water) for the first 30 miles. So, you will need to bring enough snacks and water. At about 30 miles, we catch up to each other at a small country store with a bathroom where they sell snacks and water. We take a 20-minute break here to charge up for the last 12 miles. Let me know if you’re interested in joining us. We plan on going at least 5 more times this year. I look forward to meeting some new cycling buddies this year! Btw - if you have a Yamaha ebike (Civante, Wabash, Urban Rush, etc), this ride can be done with one full battery. I use the two highest settings on this ride and make it back to the truck with 2 miles left on the battery.
83C8221D-E471-4E81-ABE0-556F764E6FA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Appreciate the info on this awesome-looking bike route. My buddy and I plan on hitting this route this Saturday; we're coming from Los Angeles - lol...

Oh wow, that is cool! Post pics!! The store is called the Lyons Valley Trading Post (17608 Lyons Valley Road) in Jamul, CA. It’s literally the only place to get water/snacks/bathroom on this 42 mile ride. We start and end the loop at the Starbucks located at 2512 Jamacha Road in El Cajon, CA. Make our way to the Trading Post and head home. What kind of bikes do you guys have? How big is your battery? Are you concerned about the range?

Attachments

• B87CD600-58EB-4074-9DE1-FCEF04571ABC.jpeg
    B87CD600-58EB-4074-9DE1-FCEF04571ABC.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
I have a Pina Dyodo with an extra water bottle battery but I don't plan on using it - but maybe I should! It should give me around 3-4 hours, I think. My buddy doesn't have an eBike; he has a light road bike. I was going to use my other road bike (Seven Cycles Axiom S).

I have a Pina Dyodo with an extra water bottle battery but I don't plan on using it - but maybe I should! It should give me around 3-4 hours, I think. My buddy doesn't have an eBike; he has a light road bike. I was going to use my other road bike (Seven Cycles Axiom S).
If you’re used to these kinds of rides you‘ll be fine. After the first 30min, there is nothing but climbing for the next 90 minutes. It gets much easier after that. Many ascends and descends. Let us know how you do and let me know if you come down again later this year. We could join you guys!

There's a really good loop called Los Angeles Santa Monica - PV Loop: it starts in Marina Del Rey and goes along the beach for around 15 miles (no cars, just walkers/joggers and other cyclists) and then goes up hills through Palos Verdes. These are vehicle roads but there isn't that much traffic. The entire loop is around 52 miles.

1612415889746.png

There's a really good loop called Los Angeles Santa Monica - PV Loop: it starts in Marina Del Rey and goes along the beach for around 15 miles (no cars, just walkers/joggers and other cyclists) and then goes up hills through Palos Verdes. These are vehicle roads but there isn't that much traffic. The entire loop is around 52 miles.

View attachment 78241
I used to ride that all the time in the old days. I've even roller skated it a few times. Lot's of girl watching opportunities. Lots of crowds. 😶

Reed, what kind of ebike do you have?
I've got a Specialized XC MTB, a rebadged Frey AM 1000 from Bolton Ebikes and am expecting a Hydra from Wattwagons in a couple months. In the old days I rode a Canon road bike until I got a car door opened into me on Lincoln Blvd coming back from riding that loop cj3209 is talking about. Couldn't ride for a couple years due to a neck injury that still bothers me and that's when I started distance roller skating. Eventually got a Diamondback MTB and got back to biking. :)

I've got a Specialized XC MTB, a rebadged Frey AM 1000 from Bolton Ebikes and am expecting a Hydra from Wattwagons in a couple months. In the old days I rode a Canon road bike until I got a car door opened into me on Lincoln Blvd coming back from riding that loop cj3209 is talking about. Couldn't ride for a couple years due to a neck injury that still bothers me and that's when I started distance roller skating. Eventually got a Diamondback MTB and got back to biking. :)
Yikes. That almost happened to me a few times. Luckily, I was able to swerve to avoid but if there was a car passing next to me, I would have been hit. Have to be careful these days. thx for the reminder...

Yikes. That almost happened to me a few times. Luckily, I was able to swerve to avoid but if there was a car passing next to me, I would have been hit. Have to be careful these days. thx for the reminder...
Yeah, I won't ride on the street anymore. Bike lanes, bike paths and private property only for me. I'd ride forest roads and rail trails if we had any around here. 👍

Wow... sorry to hear that buddy

Boy, San Diego is my favourite US city and I'd love to do this ride with others on this forum sometime. But with the pandemic and closed borders that don't look like they're going to open anytime soon this is probably a year away at best. But I would love to come down for this ride.

Based upon the elevation, distance and speed I think I could do this on the internal battery on my Creo without needing a recharge. Actually if it were about 2 km/hr. slower I'm pretty sure I could do this on my Cervelo. Maybe if I'm allowed to just draft the whole way :)

Back