Round Plugs? Really?

lloydt

I love my bike, so please don't take this the wrong way.

It seems really weird to me that to plug in to charge the my Specialized bike that the power plug is round going into a round hole. There is literally an infinite number of ways to get it wrong.

I worked around the problem by putting some reflective tape on both the plug and the bike so I can visually see the orientation of the plug.

1550535011235.png

Reminds me of the old joke about why portholes are round on fishing boats. To keep the Norwegians aboard.

The Pedego charger also uses a round plug. Like you, I marked it with a paint pen. Fortunately, it won't connect unless it is aligned properly.

I think the plug is a cool idea. I like that it is a magnetic connection and I can see how round would make it easier to make water tight. A simple marking on the plug would make it so I didn't need fumble around to twisting the plug. It is a 0 cost thing to do. With out markings, you might have to twist up to 360 degrees to find where goes. My eyes work. I don't need to plug this in by feel.

I think the plug is a cool idea. I like that it is a magnetic connection and I can see how round would make it easier to make water tight. A simple marking on the plug would make it so I didn't need fumble around to twisting the plug. It is a 0 cost thing to do. With out markings, you might have to twist up to 360 degrees to find where goes. My eyes work. I don't need to plug this in by feel.
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I've been struggling with this for years, problem solved with a little paint pen mark. Cheers

If you look at the plug, there are two alignment pins on one side and one on the other. Before you plug it in check the alignment. Two pins go forward. I believe most bikes using Rosenberger plug are the same.
Pen mark is handy idea too.

I love my bike, so please don't take this the wrong way.

It seems really weird to me that to plug in to charge the my Specialized bike that the power plug is round going into a round hole. There is literally an infinite number of ways to get it wrong.

I worked around the problem by putting some reflective tape on both the plug and the bike so I can visually see the orientation of the plug.

View attachment 30077
Yep, it's kinda ridiculous. I didn't similar thing tomyou, except I used a white paint pen to make a small dot on the top of the plug. That way I can easily insert it properly each time. What a bad design...

Most of these plugs are well designed electrically but the physical design sometimes isn't.

In any case, it's always a good idea to connect the battery first before plugging the charger into an AC outlet. this prevents arcing which can shorten the file of the connector.

I cannot understand the "issue". Been using three batteries with two chargers and never had any problem with the "self-finding" plugs.

As others have pointed out you just turn it until it magnet magic happens. Not a big deal and MUCH easier that trying to use a Bosch plug.

As others have pointed out you just turn it until it magnet magic happens. Not a big deal and MUCH easier that trying to use a Bosch plug.
how is it easier I have no problems getting it in. though I have never tried plugging it into my bike.

Yep, it's kinda ridiculous. I didn't similar thing tomyou, except I used a white paint pen to make a small dot on the top of the plug. That way I can easily insert it properly each time. What a bad design...

really? the rosenberger magnetic power+data connector is pretty much purpose designed for this use; it's round and magnetic, doesn't make electrical contact unless properly connected, and does not damage the bike or the connector if abruptly jerked out, which is useful because it's attached to a vehicle with wheels!

the only disadvantage seems to be if you jam a key or other metallic object into the socket.

Also the charge percentage shows on the screen if charged on the bike, so you can stop at 80% if you desire, curious if any other bikes do this

Yes, I do 40-80 charge at least when I remember to unplug it. Most days it is a 10-12 miles commute so the use is predictable.

So? We can see that, what’s your point? Charger is still using the same plug,

Back