Rohloff E-14

Oh, I definitely intend to print something better than the off-the-shelf nasty button the Rohloff comes with.
I've even considered just wiring in a new switch to the existing button, so that no damage is done to the gear system. Don't want to violate any warranties.

Oh, I definitely intend to print something better than the off-the-shelf nasty button the Rohloff comes with.
I've even considered just wiring in a new switch to the existing button, so that no damage is done to the gear system. Don't want to violate any warranties.
The problem is all of the shifters I can find use CAN bus or some form of multiplexing. The Bosch control switches on the left handlebar have a nice feel, and would work great, but since there are five buttons and four wires I suspect they are also not directly wired. Are you serious about printing new buttons? I'm beginning to think that would be the easiest solution until a compatible switch/ shifters can be found. I don't have access to, or skill to operate one. I have thought of using JB Weld Metal Epoxy to fabricate a buttons the hard way, by making a mold and shaping it with a file. Again, someone with metal fabrication or injection moulding skills and equipment could make something better than the floppy rubber switch.

I mean I'm serious about making something, but it's not going to be soon. Many other more pressing concerns. I'll furlough this idea for a few months.

We have thousands of miles on the E-14 with our Rohloffs. It would be an improvement if the shift buttons were a little larger and had a more tactile click when you shift. Especially with gloves and riding in traffic (i.e., shifting without looking), it is possible to miss shifts or shift the wrong direction. Our Bullitt with E8000 has Di2 shifting and the shift levers are considerably larger and much more tactile. The E-14 does have shift detect with Bosch, but as mentioned by others, you still need to ease up on shifts - especially when accelerating away from a stop or going uphill.

The real issue with the E-14 is the hub electrical/communication connector. It is kind of small and fiddly. If you have not removed the wheel for a while, it can be very tight to pull apart. Being so small, it is not easy to get a good hold on it. The slightest bit of dust or moisture inside (maybe after disconnecting when fixing a flat), and you lose connection and no shifting. Would like to see a more robust connector.

I'm sure you're right @Augsburg, that connector sounds dodgy. The fact that you can't get even a grain of grit in there would be very frustrating.
I'm still hung up on the awful ergonomics of that cheap button ring for the E-14 shifter though. My test rides were like being teased with a perfect glass of cool water in a desert, locked behind invisible glass. The bike is so close to what I call the perfect bike, and then there's that cheapo shifter button. It's such a weird place to cut costs, given the price point we're talking about here.

I live someplace with a lot of steep, rugged terrain and have been very glad to have the lower gears. While I only rarely find myself in 1 I am very relieved when I do have that gear!

7 and 11 are the most efficient gears on a Rohloff. If you are going up a fairly easy hill 6 and 8 will feel a bit draggy compared to 7. 11 is the direct gear and I find it is sweet for fast flats and gentle downhills. Because 7 and 11 are so efficient I've found that a 5-7-9-11 pattern is usually a good one for riding on paved roads or rail-trails in non-crazy terrain.

Interestingly and a bit weirdly, while 11 is the direct-drive "gear" 7 appears to be slightly more efficient.

I live someplace with a lot of steep, rugged terrain and have been very glad to have the lower gears. While I only rarely find myself in 1 I am very relieved when I do have that gear!

7 and 11 are the most efficient gears on a Rohloff. If you are going up a fairly easy hill 6 and 8 will feel a bit draggy compared to 7. 11 is the direct gear and I find it is sweet for fast flats and gentle downhills. Because 7 and 11 are so efficient I've found that a 5-7-9-11 pattern is usually a good one for riding on paved roads or rail-trails in non-crazy terrain.

Interestingly and a bit weirdly, while 11 is the direct-drive "gear" 7 appears to be slightly more efficient.
Hello, just bought a R&M Mixte Rohloff, and when not pedalling at gears 7 upwards it makes the ticking sounds and 7downwards there is no noise when not pedalling. When pedalling in general the bike is silent. And it is really noisy ticking especially when in countryside roads. Do you have the same problem? Or is it normal in these bikes?

Hello, just bought a R&M Mixte Rohloff, and when not pedalling at gears 7 upwards it makes the ticking sounds and 7downwards there is no noise when not pedalling. When pedalling in general the bike is silent. And it is really noisy ticking especially when in countryside roads. Do you have the same problem? Or is it normal in these bikes?
I replied to your thread, but in case anyone else is curious. here's a video explaining why Rohloffs are noisier in gears 1-7.

@synfair's concern sounds to be the opposite of what you're saying.
Yes, my bike is noisy when not pedalling in high gears : particularly gear 7 plus. It’s the usual non pedalling ticking noise , but why it is not happening in gears 7 down, but only in higher gears…., and it should be quieter all the time, I guessed… and during my test ride, I cannot recall spotting this.

Gears 1-7 are noisier when pedalling, but more silent coasting. Gears 8-14 are noisier when coasting, more silent when pedalling. What you describe sounds like mine, so I assume it is “normal”.

I have the 2019 R&M Delite GX extreme rohloff HS which has the E14 with chain drive. I'm on my 3rd chain in the first 5K miles and would like to switch to a gates belt drive setup on the bike. First, is this possible and any known devil in details issues? Cycle Monkey is near me and I contacted them about this but no response ...

I have the 2019 R&M Delite GX extreme rohloff HS which has the E14 with chain drive. I'm on my 3rd chain in the first 5K miles and would like to switch to a gates belt drive setup on the bike. First, is this possible and any known devil in details issues? Cycle Monkey is near me and I contacted them about this but no response ...
May I ask why you chose to go with the chain on that gear system?

May I ask why you chose to go with the chain on that gear system?
It was an impulse buy of a 2 year old dealer floor model that was the largest size (I'm 6'5") and at a considerable discount. Love the bike and while swapping out chains is not a big deal, I have another ebike with belt drive and prefer the maintenance and almost silent aspect of that drive train.
Screenshot 2021-12-12 103652.jpg

Last edited:
Back