Rohloff E-14, Gear Freewheeling

A sign of the future?

Yesterday I rode both of my ebikes from home. The trip always ends with a dip followed by a horrid hill. The Trek Powerfly's derailleur was perfect but for just the second time I stalled my Rohloff-equipped Homage. Fortunately, no neighbours were out to witness the disaster so I was left alone in my embarrassment.

How could this be? I was sure that Rohloff technique of the E-14 variety has been mastered. I turned the Homage around and freewheeled down the dip. (I mention this to assure Dennis that I'm not off topic). Only on turning around to take the monster on a second time did I realise that my technique problem was far more serious. I had flicked down the gears with my left thumb and increased power assist with the right. Fourteenth gear and no assist!

A senior moment indeed.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
A sign of the future?

Yesterday I rode both of my ebikes from home. The trip always ends with a dip followed by a horrid hill. The Trek Powerfly's derailleur was perfect but for just the second time I stalled my Rohloff-equipped Homage. Fortunately, no neighbours were out to witness the disaster so I was left alone in my embarrassment.

How could this be? I was sure that Rohloff technique of the E-14 variety has been mastered. I turned the Homage around and freewheeled down the dip. (I mention this to assure Dennis that I'm not off topic). Only on turning around to take the monster on a second time did I realise that my technique problem was far more serious. I had flicked down the gears with my left thumb and increased power assist with the right. Fourteenth gear and no assist! A senior moment indeed.
… David
Don't be so hard on yourself David. I'm certain that people of all ages have the occasional bout of CRS. It becomes a cause for concern only if occurrence becomes regular and more frequent.

A sign of the future?

How could this be? I was sure that Rohloff technique of the E-14 variety has been mastered. I turned the Homage around and freewheeled down the dip. (I mention this to assure Dennis that I'm not off topic). Only on turning around to take the monster on a second time did I realise that my technique problem was far more serious. I had flicked down the gears with my left thumb and increased power assist with the right. Fourteenth gear and no assist!

A senior moment indeed.
… David
I’ve done exactly the same. Once I was riding with my sister-in-law, she was on my hub drive Magnum, explaining how this new bike was more like “regular” biking when up on the left and down on the right and stall mid hill. Fortunately I had practiced starting on a hill. Her comment when I caught up was “thanks for the demo but it wasn’t necessary”. All I could do was laugh!

An FYI for the E-14 riders; note that Rohloff has firmware updates available for the E-14 mechanism. It's a simple Android app (no iPhone app yet) that will download firmware and connect to your E-14 via Bluetooth to install. I was getting various error codes on my Intuvia screen that were related to the E-14. I no longer have a local dealer who I could reach out to for help, so I contacted Chris Nolte (BIG thanks to Chris for being available and willing to help the community) and he mentioned the firmware option on the Rohloff site. I updated my E-14 and now things are working MUCH better for my Delite setup.

Back