Road E1 Differences

Does anyone know the difference, if any, between the 2018 Road E1 and the 2017 Road E1. I checked the specs and they look the same, but maybe I'm missing something.

I think I've answered my own question...the difference is the 2017 has a Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80 NM, 250W Yamaha motor, and the 2018 has a Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80 NM, 500W Yahama motor. So the difference seems to be 500 vs 250 Watts. But this raises another question.... Would you notice the difference if you tested these bikes? There's a 500 dollar price difference, is it worth it is my question?

The syncdrive pro is lighter, smaller, more powerful, and you can spin at higher rpms and still get support from the motor so it also seems well suited for a road bike in my opinion.

I think I've answered my own question...the difference is the 2017 has a Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80 NM, 250W Yamaha motor, and the 2018 has a Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80 NM, 500W Yahama motor. So the difference seems to be 500 vs 250 Watts. But this raises another question.... Would you notice the difference if you tested these bikes? There's a 500 dollar price difference, is it worth it is my question?

Same NM with a 250w difference, it's like magic! Chances are both motors are very close to the same thing with different programming of the firmware. There is no such thing as a 250w motor though, although all motors will do 250w. 36v (battery) x 12A (controller) = 432v, not too hard to imagine they use a 15A controller which would be 540w. It's like eBike gate.....

I have a question, actully two questions. I purchased a Giant Road E+1 at the beginning of May. It has five levels of assist; ECO, ECO+, NORMAL, SPORT, SPORT+. The motor says " SyncDriveSport ." When I look on the Giant website SyncDrive Sport only shows 3 levels of assist. The only SyncDrive with 5 levels of assist is the SyncDrive Pro. Further, on the Yamaha website, there are only two motors that could have 5 levels of assist; the PW-X has 5 levels going up to 320% power but it only assists up to 25/kmh. There is also a PW 45 which does not have a description of levels but states that it is for bikes with assists upt to 45/kmh, and is the only motor model they show that assists above 25/kmh. Furthermore, neither the descriptions of motors on the Giant website nor on the Yamaha website show any motor with assistance levels with the names my bike has. On the Giant website the SyncDrive Pro shows a maximum assistance level of 360% power. Does anyone know what motor I have on my Giant Road E+1 and what is the maximum assistance level power % on my bike? Also, I see that Giant is no longer offering the Road E+1but now offers a Road E+ with a Syncdrive Sport motor and a Road E+Pro with a SyncDrive Pro motor. Does this mean that the current Road E+ that Giant is offering only has 3 assist levels as Giant describes on its website for the SynDrive Sport motor?

I have a question, actully two questions. I purchased a Giant Road E+1 at the beginning of May. It has five levels of assist; ECO, ECO+, NORMAL, SPORT, SPORT+. The motor says " SyncDriveSport ." When I look on the Giant website SyncDrive Sport only shows 3 levels of assist. The only SyncDrive with 5 levels of assist is the SyncDrive Pro. Further, on the Yamaha website, there are only two motors that could have 5 levels of assist; the PW-X has 5 levels going up to 320% power but it only assists up to 25/kmh. There is also a PW 45 which does not have a description of levels but states that it is for bikes with assists upt to 45/kmh, and is the only motor model they show that assists above 25/kmh. Furthermore, neither the descriptions of motors on the Giant website nor on the Yamaha website show any motor with assistance levels with the names my bike has. On the Giant website the SyncDrive Pro shows a maximum assistance level of 360% power. Does anyone know what motor I have on my Giant Road E+1 and what is the maximum assistance level power % on my bike? Also, I see that Giant is no longer offering the Road E+1but now offers a Road E+ with a Syncdrive Sport motor and a Road E+Pro with a SyncDrive Pro motor. Does this mean that the current Road E+ that Giant is offering only has 3 assist levels as Giant describes on its website for the SynDrive Sport motor?
The 2018 Road-E+ has 5 levels of assist and 350% vs the 2017 300% of additional boost. Europe has restriction on motor to 15mph. In the U.S. it's 28mph. I believe the motor is the same, but if you are in Europe there is a "governor" that maxes out the assisted speed to 15mph. I have seen videos on Youtube where people move the little black plastic sensor next to the rear wheel, and place it on the frame near the cranks to get to the 28mph of assist in Europe. I think this would void any warranty if the manufacturer can tell (and they could via the computer) that this has been done, should the bike need to go back for replacement/warranty purposes. Just got the 2018 bike last weekend and absolutely love it. So fun.

Below is a post I wrote a few days ago which seems to have disappeared from the thread. As you will see, I was able to contact Giant by phone and received information on the 2018 Road E+1:

I was been able to contact Giant by phone yesterday, twice. The person I last spoke with read the specifications to me for the Syncdrive Sport that is on the Giant Road E+1 which has 5 levels of assist. They are as follows;
80nm torque maximum at all levels of assist
110 rpm maximum cadence for all levels of assist.
power assist percentage increases;
ECO 50%
ECO+ 100%
NORMAL 175%
SPORT 250%
SPORT+ 350%

I was told that these numbers vary from what I might find on the Yamaha site because Giant modifies the motor performances through software.

The number I found was called customer support 866 458 2555. When I called the recorded voice said this was the recall number and to leave a message, which I did. My call was returned and the person I spoke with was very helpful, cooperative and knowledgeable.

These are not quite the same specifications as I was given on the phone earlier in the day when I called a different Giant number. This was the Giant general number which is 805 267 4600. I first spoke with an operator, asked if I could be connected with technical support and was transferred. The person I then spoke with gave me essentially the same information as above in terms of torque maximums, cadence maximums, and assist maximum of 350% (note the Syncdrive Pro used on the new Giant Eroad +Pro has a maximum assist percentage of 360% according to the Giant website). However, this person told me that the power assist percentages at the lower levels were the same as the Syncdrive Pro which would mean;
ECO 100%
ECO+ 175%
NORMAL 250%
SPORT 300%
SPORT+ 350%

The person I spoke with who gave me this information was also very cooperative and seemed to be knowledgeable. I don't think that he was reading the statistics to me as he did not give me specific percentages for the assist levels below SPORT+. He just said they were the same as for the Syncdrive Pro.

As I had left a voicemail message at the first number I had called, this call was returned later in the day. I told the person who returned the call that I had already spoken with someone at Giant who had given me the information I had requested but asked as long as he was on the line if he could confirm the information I had received earlier, which is the first set of assist level percentages I have listed above.

I did not ask either person if these specifications were the same for other Giant Ebike current models that use the Syncdrive Sport and have 5 levels of assist.

Back