RM Changes for 2022

nashdm2

I know we are only just starting to see the new 2021 bikes. I ride a 2020 SD Rohloff. My dealer and many others have told me that on each model, RM adopt a two year refresh process. ie, for my SD the major changes were the 2020 model, with a very mild refresh for 2021.

So, if the theory is correct, the SD will get a major facelift for 2022.

What new technology do you think will be introduced on the SD? What would you like to see? What new tech is out there waiting for RM/Bosch to throw at the SD for example?

Personally, I cannot think of anything my bike is missing apart from maybe the following:

Built in and bike powered indicators.
An additional USB port that runs off the bike battery.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I know we are only just starting to see the new 2021 bikes. I ride a 2020 SD Rohloff. My dealer and many others have told me that on each model, RM adopt a two year refresh process. ie, for my SD the major changes were the 2020 model, with a very mild refresh for 2021.

So, if the theory is correct, the SD will get a major facelift for 2022.

What new technology do you think will be introduced on the SD? What would you like to see? What new tech is out there waiting for RM/Bosch to throw at the SD for example?

Personally, I cannot think of anything my bike is missing apart from maybe the following:

Built in and bike powered indicators.
A USB port that runs off the bike battery.

What do you think?
I would like bike powered turn indicators.

The 2020/2021 already has a USB port that runs off the bike battery. As long as you get the Kiox or Nyon display, because the port is on it. I don't really see why the bike has to have the port instead of the display. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, I do have the Kiox USB output. I would just like another run off the main battery.
I’m not sure what you mean by “run off the main battery” then. The Kiox runs off the main battery which powers it’s USB port. Do you want an always on port so you don’t have to have the Kiosk turned on? Do you want higher amperage output?

So, let me put it like this. I would like 2 USB ports run off the main battery. Matters not where they are for me. I only want them on when the bike is turned on. My original post should have said "an additional USB port"

The main innovations to come in the near future could include electronic suspension, automatic gear changing, and combined motor/gear hub drive,

An all-out effort to lighten the weight of their bikes. Carbon fiber, magnesium, etc. Safety improvements by being wirelessly connected to automobiles and traffic infrastructure (collision avoidance). A center stand is long overdue for wheel removal. They will get first crack at major Bosch motor and battery improvements but that won’t be for a few years.

The bikes are fine, Almost all quite up to date. Yes, keep up with creeping tech but I would like to see the company develop better, more direct relationships with their riders. We are not even considered their customers (those are their dealers now). Riese & Muller should have tech support staff and parts inventory IN NORTH America...same time zone and quicker deployment of parts, if they want to properly support the value proposition of their bicycles here.

An all-out effort to lighten the weight of their bikes. Carbon fiber, magnesium, etc.
On the other hand i appreciate that they publish gross weight limits on their bikes and would like some of them raised even further.
Also appreciate their philosophy of never wanting to see one of their frames as part of landfill.

On the other hand i appreciate that they publish gross weight limits on their bikes and would like some of them raised even further.
Also appreciate their philosophy of never wanting to see one of their frames as part of landfill.
You mean like one of these?
original.jpg
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/08/china-abandoned-bike-share-graveyards/566576/

I would be surprised if they do a dramatic redesign of the SD in 2022, they just dumped a lot into developing the new Powertube frameset for 2020 and revamped the front half again in 2021 to take a 625Wh powertube in the lower position. I do think another small revamp of the front half to take 1250Wh is a logical next step, and possibly a 12sp Shimano option for the Touring version, but who knows?

The Tinker is due for an overhaul or to be phased out (dropping the motor, it does not look like the frame was changed at all for the the new Gen3 Silent model) and the Load is due for the Powertube treatment.

I also think we're going to see mechanical Vario get phased out over the next few years in favor of Automatiq if things go well with the Packster 70 this year.

Last edited:
The bikes are fine, Almost all quite up to date. Yes, keep up with creeping tech but I would like to see the company develop better, more direct relationships with their riders. We are not even considered their customers (those are their dealers now). Riese & Muller should have tech support staff and parts inventory IN NORTH America...same time zone and quicker deployment of parts, if they want to properly support the value proposition of their bicycles here.
They are a very minor player in US, from what I see. In the bay area, where there a lot of ebikes, its gazelle, van moofs, radpower, and few others. R&M is a unicorn.

They are a very minor player in US, from what I see. In the bay area, where there a lot of ebikes, its gazelle, van moofs, radpower, and few others. R&M is a unicorn.
That's interesting to hear as one of the the biggest R&M dealers on the West Coast is in SF...

I would be surprised if they do a dramatic redesign of the SD in 2022, they just dumped a lot into developing the new Powertube frameset for 2020 and revamped the front half again in 2021 to take a 625Wh powertube in the lower position. I do think another small revamp of the front half to take 1250Wh is a logical next step, and possibly a 12sp Shimano option for the Touring version, but who knows?

The Tinker is due for an overhaul or to be phased out (dropping the motor, it does not look like the frame was changed at all for the the new Gen3 Silent model) and the Load is due for the Powertube treatment.

I also think we're going to see mechanical Vario get phased out over the next few years in favor of Automatiq if things go well with the Packster 70 this year.
Ya the tinker.... sure we'll see something soon about that little bike.

Would be great if they could somehow increase the carrying capacity of their rear racks on the FS models, carrying capacity of all their front racks as well as gross weight capacity across whole range.

Back