RIP AHicks aka Alan Hicks

tomjasz

Region
USA
City
Minnesnowta
I had a feeling something was up. We've lost a good one! Rest in peace!!
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 12.33.32 PM.png

Alan D. Hicks of Waterford; age 72; passed away at home on August 28, 2023 after valiantly fighting a long battle with cancer; He was a lifelong resident of Waterford after moving to the township as a child. Alan was a loving partner to Carol Swayze for 18 years, brother to Jay Hicks, Jean (Don) Jones, Jerry Hicks, Marian (Mike) Axtell, Annie (Steve) Shearer and Don (Patti) Hicks. He was also a good friend to Carol’s children, Bill Swayze, Michael (Samantha) Swayze, Jennifer Swayze and Carol’s five grandchildren. He is predeceased by his parents Howard and Margarete and sister Helen Hicks. Alan had a great sense of adventure and a zest for life. As a young man, he had a multitude of interests which included water skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving and taking trips in a 26 foot sailboat on Lake Huron. Later, he decided he wanted to learn to fly and went on to build his own airplane. He even built his own house in Gaylord so he could enjoy his love of snowmobiling and riding ATV’s. In later years, when he decided he wouldn’t fly anymore, he joined a local flying club where he loved flying radio-control airplanes and also took up riding motorcycles. Motorcycling ended after an accident and Carol cooled on the idea. After retirement, Alan and Carol bought a motor home taking many wonderful trips and ultimately found a home in Florida officially becoming snowbirds. Alan loved Florida. He joined another flying club there and developed a passion for e-bikes which he rode almost daily. If you ever wanted to find Alan, he was usually in the garage either fixing or making something or possibly working in the garden. He will be deeply missed. Per Alan’s wishes, there will be no services. The family would love if you could share a special memory on the digital guestbook. For those who wish to express their sympathy with a donation, the family request donating to their favorite charity in Alan’s name.

I had a feeling something was up. We've lost a good one! Rest in peace!!
View attachment 162536

Alan D. Hicks of Waterford; age 72; passed away at home on August 28, 2023 after valiantly fighting a long battle with cancer; He was a lifelong resident of Waterford after moving to the township as a child. Alan was a loving partner to Carol Swayze for 18 years, brother to Jay Hicks, Jean (Don) Jones, Jerry Hicks, Marian (Mike) Axtell, Annie (Steve) Shearer and Don (Patti) Hicks. He was also a good friend to Carol’s children, Bill Swayze, Michael (Samantha) Swayze, Jennifer Swayze and Carol’s five grandchildren. He is predeceased by his parents Howard and Margarete and sister Helen Hicks. Alan had a great sense of adventure and a zest for life. As a young man, he had a multitude of interests which included water skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving and taking trips in a 26 foot sailboat on Lake Huron. Later, he decided he wanted to learn to fly and went on to build his own airplane. He even built his own house in Gaylord so he could enjoy his love of snowmobiling and riding ATV’s. In later years, when he decided he wouldn’t fly anymore, he joined a local flying club where he loved flying radio-control airplanes and also took up riding motorcycles. Motorcycling ended after an accident and Carol cooled on the idea. After retirement, Alan and Carol bought a motor home taking many wonderful trips and ultimately found a home in Florida officially becoming snowbirds. Alan loved Florida. He joined another flying club there and developed a passion for e-bikes which he rode almost daily. If you ever wanted to find Alan, he was usually in the garage either fixing or making something or possibly working in the garden. He will be deeply missed. Per Alan’s wishes, there will be no services. The family would love if you could share a special memory on the digital guestbook. For those who wish to express their sympathy with a donation, the family request donating to their favorite charity in Alan’s name.
A gracious and noble member of this community. I will miss him.

That is very sad news.

It was a post by AHicks that informed me about the KT controller and display option for my e-bike,..

Screenshot_20230913-141100_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20230913-141147_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If it wasn't for AHicks, I never would have known about the KT controller and how much better my ebike could be with it.

I LOVE My ebike now and if it wasn't for AHicks, I would probably still be annoyed with my ebike.

Alan was always very patient with my stupid questions. He helped me completely gut my old controller and display to get my KT controller/display installed.

I'm going to miss you Alan.

@tomjasz: Thank you for posting this news about Al, sad as it is. This little EBR family of ours here has lost a good guy with Al's passing. Al was always quick to help people with ebike advice when asked. He also stood his ground whenever an internet squabble would come up. Reading his obituary posted by you, it's easy to feel that he led a full and rich life. Building an airplane and then learning to fly it? Building his own home? Al defined the term "Renaissance Man" in my book. His name and his presence here will really be missed.

Back