Right turn hand signal?

Not in California... no skills needed!? ;)
From the CA DMV Drivers Handbook

"Signaling G66-21B (CA) Always signal when turning left or right, changing lanes, slowing down, or stopping. Signaling lets other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions. Signals may be given by hand-and-arm positions or using the vehicle’s signal lights. If bright sunlight makes the signal lights hard to see, also use hand-and-arm signals. – 60 – Motorcyclists often use hand signals to make themselves more visible. Bicyclists may give right turn signals with their right arm held straight out, pointing right. "

The thing is, no one understands arm signals any more.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people, probably most, do understand hand signals still. Most people don't use signals at all, but they know what they are.

As FreeWheelie points out, a right arm signal is allowed on a bike in California, and I know it is in other jurisdictions as well. Use that if it makes you happy, where allowed. (It doesn't say you have to use your right arm though.) I still think consistency is a valuable safety consideration.

Turn signals are so helpful and easy, it really puzzles me why so few people use them. When you're on a bike your turn signals as well as those of the motorized vehicles around you can have a profound impact (unintended pun).

TT

Last edited:
Hand signals are very useful when done properly but I find that most cyclists, if they do signal, preform the signal for only a second or so and then keep their signal arm in close to their body where it's difficult to see. Signal big and signal early.

Drivers around here either don't understand hand signals or ignore them. Being a veteran rider of SoCal roads and highways for more than 40 years on motorbikes, I learned a long time ago that my safety is mostly on me. I ride motorbikes, or pedal bikes as if all cagers are out to get me. I never assume they've seen me, even though they are looking right at me. The last time I used a hand signal to a car near me, the lady smiled and waved to me. 😄

If you use your right arm to signal, then as you brake for the turn, you will only have your left hand (front brake) to brake with, which means you could go flying over the handlebars, if you must brake drastically for some reason.

Back