Rides well without pedal assist ?

e-boy

Which drive rides well without pedal assist ?
Which drive , is the most natural ride , with pedal assist ?

Most of the mid drive systems do this well. If you're looking at a hub motor bike I would try to choose something with a geared motor as opposed to a direct drive. We sell a lot of Bosch powered bikes and I know many people that ride with and without power often. The weight of the bike becomes a bigger factor if you're riding without power. Check out the Felt SportE 85 HP. It's a little over 40 lbs

Are you looking at a beach cruiser, mountain bike, road bike, cargo, or comfort bike?

I have two 750w rear hub Radrovers with PAS 0-5 and a throttle that is about 60 lbs out the box and maybe around 70-72 lbs with my accessories mounted (rack, rack bag, suspension seatpost, lights, fender). It also has a very comfortable upright riding position for long distance.

I wouldn't want to ride this bike without PAS because the extra mass, tail heavy design, and increasing wind drag because of the upright riding position the faster you go. I can only ride this bike without PAS at very low speed of 6-12 mph on level ground with no wind, if I have a stiff tailwind, or downhill using gravity assist. I don't think rear hub motors on average are as efficient and you will not get the same range as mid-drives. I never riden a mid-drive; but, they seem to be lighter in overall weight on average, more balanced on weight because motor/battery are low and center mounted, larger gear ratio, more gears, more advance PAS, can apply more tq longer on inclines, and front/rear tire quick release (if you need to toss in the back seat for transport).

You might find hub drives bikes can be cheaper compared to mid-drives versions. I was able to purchase two Radrovers for the price of one mid-drive. I sometimes take my wife's 7 lbs battery when I need to ride +30 miles as a back-up. I've gone as far as 36 miles on a single charge and 2X that range with the spare battery. Hub motor can also be very easy to fix, upgrade, or convert to a mid-drive ebikes for a longer road life.

Last edited:
they will all ride well, but as others have stated ebikes are heavy. So your ability/desire to use them with zero assist could be limited. My bike is around 50lbs and you really feel the weight when you try to get moving from a stop.

in terms of drive systems--I find that the mid drive provides a very natural feel. But this may also be subjective. For example, if you are a motorcycle rider, you may prefer a hub drive. I'm a mountain biker, so that prob contributes to my feeling about the mid drive products.

Back